Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Meal Time Cut-offs Fixed (Maybe they're listening...)

Meal Time Cut-offs Fixed (Maybe they're listening...)

Old Jul 25, 12, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Flew AUA-EWR, just under 5 hours with a departure at 2.55pm and arriving just before 8pm (should have been dinner since the flight is so long), but since it left at 3pm, it was just the cheese/deli plate for everyone and a pack of crackers with fruit. I heard nothing but complaints from the pax in FC. Sure, it's a leisure route, but that was a pathetic service for such a long flight.
Prior to this reversion to the PMUA way of doing things, I got the rubber chicken on SJU-EWR leaving at 1:01 PM. That's a 4+ hour flight. The PMCO purser was pretty apologetic about how pathetic it was. He claimed it was because they needed to compete with B6..... which seemed ironic as I was sitting in F!
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
UA 1673 tomorrow 7/27 IAH-SAN 1:11 pm departure 2:18 pm arrival (duration 3 hrs 7 mins) still shows "snack" in first. Per Shannon's email above this should presumably be a full lunch service. We shall see ...
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Originally Posted by channa View Post
[SIZE=1]

RT catering doesn't preclude them from serving something more substantial than a cold chicken plate.

I remember PMUA serving lunch on AUA-ORD, and that came in precatered from IAD.
RT catering makes sense on AUA-EWR, but items on the tray were local including the cheap packs of crackers. I dont think the FAs add items to the tray before serving?
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
The meal quality also seems to be improved recently. Thank you UA!
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Both UA443 (LAX 3:28pm - DEN 6:45pm) and UA1496 (DEN 7:23pm - ANC 11:03pm) now show dinner even though they don't exactly match Shannon's definition.
Old Jul 26, 12, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Sick of the chicken/pasta snack?

Just got passed along this info:
Food Services is refreshing the North America United First and United Business
chilled PM snack effective Aug. 1. Mediterranean, Southwestern and Italian style options will be offered throughout the year.

Not sure what this means (it could be just the following: greek chicken over pasta, chipotle chicken over pasta, or chicken parm over pasta)....but hopefully this means some variety and more importantly the chance that UA is actually listening to passengers.
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K
you know what they should bring back??? those mozerella/tomato (caprese style??) sandwiches they offered last year. They were so good and light. Best snack on UA i've had to date.
Old Jul 26, 12, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I don't see any improvement here, for Oct. 6 I am looking at ORD-DEN and the 1.25 pm and 4.05 pm both list 'snack'. This should be 'lunch' and 'dinner' on a proper airline.
Old Jul 26, 12, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I don't see any improvement here, for Oct. 6 I am looking at ORD-DEN and the 1.25 pm and 4.05 pm both list 'snack'. This should be 'lunch' and 'dinner' on a proper airline.
It's not consistent...I saw the 1pmish DEN-IAH in October listed as a "snack" flight but if you wait until the 2pmish DEN-IAH flight, you'll get "lunch"...no rhyme or reason to it...
Old Jul 27, 12, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
UA 118 FRA-EWR departing at 8:45 clearly lists Breakfast,Snack as the meal service in Y and J, which conforms with stated meal times. I was surprised to be offered the choice of "beef, chicken or vegetarian" in Y on that flight. 9 something in the morning on a westbound flight seemed odd to be eating a hot lunch. That also made me think about the last time I had a hot breakfast in Y on a plane (prelanding snack not included).
Old Jul 27, 12, 11:05 pm

Programs: United 1K
I was shocked when they were serving breakfast between Omaha and Denver, a flight that is just over an hour flight time. This is the first time I refused, since I just ate. They were serving cereal, but not sure what else. Very impressed!

Tue, 24JUL12 UA1431
(OMA) 8:49 AM (DEN) 9:27 AM 737-800 Breakfast
Old Jul 27, 12, 11:51 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I know I said I’m on hiatus but sometimes you don’t get to book your own travel. I skipped tonight’s meal on 634 iah-sfo but something seemed off with catering:

[edit: Mind you, this is a 7:30PM flight. Should be dinner. Some of you have made reference to Chicken/Pasta snack, I'm assuming that's what we got]

- No nuts (warm or cold) – just king nut pretzel bags
- Only one meal option for the 24 folks in F – I think it was called the “crock pot”:
o Warm (maybe?) chicken served next to cold pasta salad
o Fruit bowl
o Bowl with container of balsamic vinaigrette sitting inside (not clear what this was supposed to be used with)
o UA Club style packaged cheese and [somewhat better-looking] crackers
o Packaged desert

Honestly I want UA to meet some reasonable level of expectations, and when it comes to meals my expectations are pretty low, so I’m personally not too bummed by this specifically. Still, not a change I like.
Old Jul 28, 12, 3:54 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay View Post
UA 118 FRA-EWR departing at 8:45 clearly lists Breakfast,Snack as the meal service in Y and J, which conforms with stated meal times. I was surprised to be offered the choice of "beef, chicken or vegetarian" in Y on that flight. 9 something in the morning on a westbound flight seemed odd to be eating a hot lunch. That also made me think about the last time I had a hot breakfast in Y on a plane (prelanding snack not included).
Same issue with UA 19 LHR/EWR departing at 8.40am, which states Breakfast, Snack as the meal service in Y and J. It's been that way for a long time. Sent a couple of comments in to Customer Care in the past about this but no responses.
Old Jul 28, 12, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
- Only one meal option for the 24 folks in F – I think it was called the “crock pot”:
o Fruit bowl
o Bowl with container of balsamic vinaigrette sitting inside (not clear what this was supposed to be used with)
o Packaged desert.
This was the exact offering on my Sna-Ewr red eye on Wednesday.
Old Jul 29, 12, 12:45 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
I know I said I’m on hiatus but sometimes you don’t get to book your own travel. I skipped tonight’s meal on 634 iah-sfo but something seemed off with catering:

[edit: Mind you, this is a 7:30PM flight. Should be dinner. Some of you have made reference to Chicken/Pasta snack, I'm assuming that's what we got]

o Fruit bowl
o Packaged desert

Honestly I want UA to meet some reasonable level of expectations, and when it comes to meals my expectations are pretty low, so I’m personally not too bummed by this specifically. Still, not a change I like.
This is the now ubiquitous "snack" that so many of us are tired of eating, and happy to be trading for a more regular type meal. (and the chicken is most definitely cold) It's not "crock pot" it's "snack plate" although the two sound similar on a noisy airplane. The salad dressing helps jazz up the combo of the pasta, cut up chicken, and cut up cheese, which I tend to mix together to amuse myself. I do not add the fruit or brownie to the mixture, though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: