Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Meal Time Cut-offs Fixed (Maybe they're listening...)

Meal Time Cut-offs Fixed (Maybe they're listening...)

Old Jul 22, 12, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Why the Dodo became extinct, perhaps

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Hopefully it will go the way of the Dodo
. . . .^
I wondered if the "chicken" was in fact some assorted pieces of Dodo that had been found in a back room locker somewhere near the coffee company in Houston?

Flyer 420
who only wishes that the evening cutoff were 7:30 since COdbaUA so often schedules the 'dinner time' DEN-SEA just after 7.
Old Jul 25, 12, 9:09 am

Programs: 2.5MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Wx4caster View Post
If UA is looking for any more customer feedback on meals, how about bringing back proper meal service on the Hawaii routes, at the very least on flights requiring BF copays, although I would tend to think ORD could be grouped in there as well. And to go one step further, those same flight services could stand to have their Club admission privileges re-instated for premium passengers.. Any plans that you can share, Insider?
+1^
Old Jul 25, 12, 9:11 am

Programs: 2.5MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
"They don't need international planes to serve the meals they used to serve on all Hawaii flights including the 737s from CA. I would love to see the old meals return, but would settle for at least the BF copay flights receiving them, or better yet, all HA flights over 6 hours (to include ORD)."

And while we're at it, keep the lie flats on any HNL-mainland flight over 7 hours.
Old Jul 25, 12, 9:57 am

My 7:20 SFO-ORD flight is still showing Snack. I guess 7:20 is not a traditional meal time...
Old Jul 25, 12, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
1:04 p.m. SFO-YYZ now showing a Lunch. Glad they upgraded the 2,300-mile afternoon flight from a chicken plate.

I'm a bit reserved before being happy about this restoration. CO's upgrades often come with covert downgrades. Have we seen any downgrades elsewhere?
Old Jul 25, 12, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post
1:04 p.m. SFO-YYZ now showing a Lunch. Glad they upgraded the 2,300-mile afternoon flight from a chicken plate.

I'm a bit reserved before being happy about this restoration. CO's upgrades often come with covert downgrades. Have we seen any downgrades elsewhere?
Haha. I just had an image of Smisek waving his hand above his head saying, "Look at the hand, look at the hand" while he is messing with your reservation on a computer.
Old Jul 25, 12, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WhyPayRent View Post
Haha. I just had an image of Smisek waving his hand above his head saying, "Look at the hand, look at the hand" while he is messing with your reservation on a computer.

Heh. Well he did cancel my HKG bookings and didn't bother to contact me, so that's not that far from recent reality.

That said, when they released and touted the initial meal upgrades, the pluses (e.g., improved transcon catering for UA flights, snack baskets on short CO flights, cold plate upgrades on CO redeyes), they also came with downgrades (e.g., downgrades on CO transcons, egg McMuffins on short UA breakfast flights, shorter mealtime windows).

That's why I'm leery of the tweaks. If all they did was expand the mealtime windows, that'd be great. If they tinkered negatively, we may have yet to discover it.
Old Jul 25, 12, 10:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
And while we're at it, keep the lie flats on any HNL-mainland flight over 7 hours.
There are no dedicated lie-flat aircraft for the HNL flights. Occasionally, you will see one once in a while when a 764 with the lie-flats get rotated into the schedule from IAH. The 777 was unique and not something we will see often in the future.

The HNL flights are slated to get similar seats found in the C cabin on the p.s. flights. I find those seats to be pretty comfortable.

I do wish those seats were motor powered as it is pretty annoying having to shift everything manually.
Old Jul 25, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
So for red-eye transcon, only snacks will be provided?
Old Jul 25, 12, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mediator View Post
So for red-eye transcon, only snacks will be provided?
Nothing new. Even pre merger it was only a snack.
Old Jul 25, 12, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting -- my 10am DEN-SFO flight is showing "Lunch". I didn't think that flight would be long enough for a true meal (though they often served the "snack" chicken pasta salad on this route).
Old Jul 25, 12, 2:50 pm

Programs: A member of Generation "Y"
Nice to see the longer meal times. This is a change I like! ^
Old Jul 25, 12, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Flew AUA-EWR, just under 5 hours with a departure at 2.55pm and arriving just before 8pm (should have been dinner since the flight is so long), but since it left at 3pm, it was just the cheese/deli plate for everyone and a pack of crackers with fruit. I heard nothing but complaints from the pax in FC. Sure, it's a leisure route, but that was a pathetic service for such a long flight.
Old Jul 25, 12, 4:17 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Silver, TrueBlue Mosaic, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Flew AUA-EWR, just under 5 hours with a departure at 2.55pm and arriving just before 8pm (should have been dinner since the flight is so long), but since it left at 3pm, it was just the cheese/deli plate for everyone and a pack of crackers with fruit. I heard nothing but complaints from the pax in FC. Sure, it's a leisure route, but that was a pathetic service for such a long flight.
They probably don't cater in AUA...I know on some routes to the Caribbean the planes are already catered from their origin...so EWR-AUA would get breakfast and the return would get the deli plate...
Old Jul 25, 12, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; MB612 Build/KRNS-X4-1.1.10) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by eagle92
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
They probably don't cater in AUA...I know on some routes to the Caribbean the planes are already catered from their origin...so EWR-AUA would get breakfast and the return would get the deli plate...
RT catering doesn't preclude them from serving something more substantial than a cold chicken plate.

I remember PMUA serving lunch on AUA-ORD, and that came in precatered from IAD.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: