To the guy in 8D...bravo

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

To the guy in 8D...bravo

UA 375 tonight. When told he was upgraded to First, he quietly told the FA "there's a uniformed military member sitting in back - please give it to him". No fanfare, no hoopla. All class.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by UpInTheEric
UA 375 tonight. When told he was upgraded to First, he quietly told the FA "there's a uniformed military member sitting in back - please give it to him". No fanfare, no hoopla. All class.
It's a nice gesture. If he rejects it, who does it "belong" to? The person next in seniority or the member in uniform? Does he get to give it away? I imagine the flight attendants would treat it as his to give away?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving to UA
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
For my nickle, it was totally his call. And a classy one at that. Tks to the OP for the report....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
And if the next time, someone tells the FA to give it to the hot girl a few rows back and tell her it's from me? You're next on the upgrade list, how do you feel THEN? Or the next on the upgrade list is a Mother whose son just died and she's going to his funeral? Does she not "deserve" it too?

Is it really his seat to give away?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Uhhh... yes?

Thanks, Alex. I'll take Obvious Answers for $200 next.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:48 pm

Nvm. No comment
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
And if the next time, someone tells the FA to give it to the hot girl a few rows back and tell her it's from me? You're next on the upgrade list, how do you feel THEN? Or the next on the upgrade list is a Mother whose son just died and she's going to his funeral? Does she not "deserve" it too?

If YOUR upgrade is that important, maybe someone had a point about certain people being over entitled.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G

If I'm flying yes it is my seat to give away as its a slot
I would also be required to take up the seat of the person I have swapped with and not keep any other seats
I have more then once given the upgrade to my Wife/Dad/Sister/Friend traveling with me
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by UpInTheEric
Is 8D a seat in Y or J? If he was in J, he should have moved to Y. Otherwise, he was offered an upgrade from J to F and instead turned it into an upgrade from Y to F, thereby depriving someone in Y of an upgrade to J.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Actually no, the upgrade is not yours to give away and we've been over this multiple times.

If a passenger doesn't want the upgrade, it goes to the next person on the upgrade list...not including cases where two people traveling together decide to swap seats ONCE. This is not a case of two people traveling together, therefore the upgrade should have gone to the next person on the list if 8D didn't want it.

If 8D felt so strongly about 'supporting the military' he could add that person as a companion on his reservation provided it doesn't displace other Elite customers already on the list.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Military and family are both special cases, IMHO..
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Yes.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually no, the upgrade is not yours to give away and we've been over this multiple times.
Agree to disagree...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
....yes. It's as if he accepted the upgrade, which means he is in first class, and then offered to trade with a service member. That seems OK to me....
+1 Yup. The seat is his. If he wants to swap with ANYONE and the flt crew does not object, seems totally reasonable. In this instance, it was a particularly generous offer. If he were trying to sell or barter it, of course, no dice.

Unsure where all the #2s are coming from. If your name is not at the top of the list, it is NOT your seat to take. Someone with a higher claim has taken the UG and used it....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.