Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:50 am

greetings from the Denver United Club, had my flight cancelled after landing in DEN, working on sorting out what and where im gonna go. Will update once i get it figured.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: *W Plat, Hyatt PLT,PC RA Plat, Virgin Gld, CO Gld, DL Gld, HH Diam, KL Gld
it was a spare account I had (not in my name) with 800 or so miles none where deducted from the 440K res I made.

Originally Posted by jwchef1975
Did you have the miles in account, if not did they deduct the 4 or 8 miles?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Pyridoxine
greetings from the Denver United Club, had my flight cancelled after landing in DEN, working on sorting out what and where im gonna go. Will update once i get it figured.
uh-oh. flight cancelled or reservation cancelled?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:54 am

There has to be a deadline

We are going on what? 4 full days now...at what point does everybody feel comfortable with starting to make hotel reservations and stuff? I mean, let's look at the facts: I have a ticket, it is confirmed, I have seat assignments (except for my air china segment, anybody know how i can get a seat assignment on that leg?), I have been billed. If I didn't read the newspapers or belong to FT or any other blog, and I just happened upon this on my own, at some point i have to feel comfortable with being able to start planning my trip. Official communication comes from United directly to the customer, not through media channels. I'm not leaving for a few months, so i got time, but for ones that are leaving in a month, or in 3 weeks, error or not, moral or ethical or not, they need some kind of communication to be able to plan the trip and not have to worry about it getting yanked last minute. Personally, with no communication at this point, I think United needs to start being on the hook for guaranteed reservations if they decide to not honor. Just a complete failure on their part across the board.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA - GENERAL MEMBER, DL - GENERAL MEMBER, etc.
Originally Posted by cordelli
Yeah, this is exactly the type of customer every business wants, one who first thinks they can get to Asia for four miles, and then complains to the government about it when they think maybe they won't be going.
@Cordelli -- I think people's reactions just go to show how unappreciated they feel by the airlines. I think folks also understand the pricing game that the airlines play is very complex and designed to specifically exploit the customer for every dollar the airline can.

Further, when such complex pricing games are played - mistakes are all but assured, and a company that plays with fires like these can expect to be burned once in awhile. And they should feel the burn. It will help them to avoid further mistakes.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I have seat assignments (except for my air china segment, anybody know how i can get a seat assignment on that leg?)
You probably have to call Air China.

http://www.airchina.us/en/customerse...allcenter.html

I have spoken w/ their LAX office in the past and have found them very helpful.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by uva185
What if you had a customer that bought a pack of gum for $1 every day and one day you accidentally charged him $1 for a $20 steak. Would you make him bring back the $20 steak and risk losing his $365 / year revenue due to your own mistake?
I'm very sure United would have no problem at all honoring the mistake fare for ANYONE that paid full price first class fare 365 days a week a day. No problem whatsoever. Your analogy is full of errors. A $19 price difference is much different than a $10,000+ price difference.

Unfortunately, very few of the people taking advantage of this, being it was so widely circulated quickly, are people that heavily frequent United purchasing tickets, since all you needed to have was 4 miles in an account. We're not talking about tickets worth $500 or so here, which would've been a different story. We're talking about tickets that cost at least $10,000 that it seems a majority of folks booked.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:02 am

UA 268 DEN-SFO was cancelled today. Hopefully that is what he means...

LINK
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Calm down, guys. Pyridoxine said that his *flight* was cancelled. Unless he states otherwise, that means the entire flight, not his ticket.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jwchef1975
Where are the reports? I have read and seen the trip LH trip report, and last nights Champagne selections. I am looking for info on what people are finding this AM. FTG seems to have a point that United might just leave it alone and honor the tickets. Afterall, United has said nothing, and so far has kept with previous statements of honoring mistake fares as the right thing to do. I take them at their word. I think Shannon might have spoken out on early information and United has reconsidered after anaylizing this further. I have asked for clarification and nothing has been given. Celebrate if you are in, F is full on my trips and I am certain we'll all enjoy the flight, and have stories to tell. Hell even my wife is excited, and she hate the game.
From our update last night, my friend landed in the US, and is waiting for their next flight. Still no issues with BPs, etc.

Said the food in F was sub-par, which isn't too surprising.

Originally Posted by jfkeze
A certain FlyerTalker is now in the Air somewhere over the Pacific. I'm sorry but I can't reveal details as to departure city and destination. But trust me, this is not a drill. The FT will post on this thread once on or over American soil.

Sorry for not mentioning the name of this FT. But we have one of us already in the air!

PS: Seems like United is serving a 2006 Champagne on that flight in F... Yeah, no krug/Dom but better than a California sparkling wine!
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
And I'm going to vouch for this post, as it talks about a mutual friend. ^

So far, so good
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
In what world are your most loyal customers taking to the internet to alert all the other most loyal customers of an obvious mistake and making sure they take advantage of it as often as they can to screw you?

If you ran a diner and a guy came in every single day and bought a pack of gum, but shoplifted a $20 steak, would you consider him a loyal customer?

Yeah, this is exactly the type of customer every business wants, one who first thinks they can get to Asia for four miles, and then complains to the government about it when they think maybe they won't be going.
In your example, it would be you run a diner, and someone who came in and bought your steak that you sell for $1. He then told his buddies who all came in and bought more of your steak for $1.
Two days later, you came out and told everyone on a steak4less forum that you will need your steak back. Someone who's eaten the steak will need to pay the $19 difference, someone who didn't finish, togo-ed the steak, and put it in the freezer, you will take it back and waive the restocking fee.

Do you realize how ridiculous the diner looks in front of anyone? I'm sure no one will give back your steak or $19 because it is unreasonable.

Find another analogy, or better yet, sit back and watch things unfold.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 19, 2012 at 11:14 am Reason: Moderators are allowed to post as regular members, especially in forums in which they do not moderate. Post edited
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
We are going on what? 4 full days now...at what point does everybody feel comfortable with starting to make hotel reservations and stuff? I mean, let's look at the facts: I have a ticket, it is confirmed, I have seat assignments (except for my air china segment, anybody know how i can get a seat assignment on that leg?), I have been billed. If I didn't read the newspapers or belong to FT or any other blog, and I just happened upon this on my own, at some point i have to feel comfortable with being able to start planning my trip. Official communication comes from United directly to the customer, not through media channels. I'm not leaving for a few months, so i got time, but for ones that are leaving in a month, or in 3 weeks, error or not, moral or ethical or not, they need some kind of communication to be able to plan the trip and not have to worry about it getting yanked last minute. Personally, with no communication at this point, I think United needs to start being on the hook for guaranteed reservations if they decide to not honor. Just a complete failure on their part across the board.
I agree with you that UA shouldn't be leaving you "Up In The Air" on this and that you will be seriously inconvenienced and at risk for financial damage if things change after you have booked hotel stays, etc. However, even if UA is held to be totally accountable for these tickets and have to reissue them after canceling them, you will not be entitled to compensation for any ancillary travel expense losses incurred as a result of their actions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
To be clear - the entire flight was cancelled or your remaining itinerary?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I'm surprised a mod is jumping in to this medley and taking a stance.

In your example, it would be you run a diner, and someone who came in and bought your steak that you sell for $1. He then told his buddies who all came in and bought more of your steak for $1.
Two days later, you came out and told everyone on a steak4less forum that you will need your steak back. Someone who's eaten the steak will need to pay the $19 difference, someone who didn't finish, togo-ed the steak, and put it in the freezer, you will take it back and waive the restocking fee.

Do you realize how ridiculous the diner looks in front of anyone? I'm sure no one will give back your steak or $19 because it is unreasonable.

Find another analogy, or better yet, sit back and watch things unfold.
Do you totally miss the point that what UA cares about is revenue and that most of the 4-mile flyers didn't even have enough miles in their account to have the correct amount deducted? If you haven't earned significant miles on UA, you haven't given them much revenue and thus, you are not a valuable customer.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
haha this is hilarious, you are getting the full united experience, they are honoring their fare indeed. I wonder how SHARES will deal with your case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.