Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Anyone else booked for Labor Day weekend?

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chevelter
Are those who take these flights required to report the received value to the Internal Revenue Service? Would United Airlines report the value to the IRS?
Will you please stop. We get it. You think people who took advantage of this situation are terrible, immoral people. Can we not simply agree to disagree about this?

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:13 am Reason: update vbb
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by plc44
Anyone else booked for Labor Day weekend?

NYE I assume since all the fireworks I used on July 4th came from China, the show might be awesome. Surprising to me the Asia Hong Kong thread is very quite

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 am

Are those who take these flights required to report the received value to the Internal Revenue Service? Would United Airlines report the value to the IRS?
Upthread someone suggested criminal prosecution of anyone flying this ticket. Now the IRS should tax us and audit us as well (assuming there's any way in hell UA will ever get my SSN)? What's next, tarring and feathering?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Northwest Plat

lol, you are smart, I can pay 1 dollar (more than one penny)for the tax on 4 miles, that is enough?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reason: language

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Upthread someone suggested criminal prosecution of anyone flying this ticket. Now the IRS should tax us and audit us as well (assuming there's any way in hell UA will ever get my SSN)? What's next, tarring and feathering?
If you fly internationally, then the TSA already has your SSN in the database.
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I am going to respond to the substance of this post, not to what I think is the real motivation - anger towards those who might get a benefit to which they were not morally entitled.

This post actually doesn't make any sense to me. Let's start with a "normal" award trip. You buy a first class ticket which, for the purpose of argument, we will say normally sells for $10,000. You pay 140,000 points which have NO value for tax purposes (i.e. - you didn't pay tax on the miles when you earned them). So, in a *normal* award, you are paying nothing (for tax purposes) and you are getting a flight. Now, you have the people who [might] get these tickets. They are paying 4 points which have NO value for tax purposes, and they are getting the flight.

Are you implying that they should be treated differently for tax purposes?

Originally Posted by as219
Will you please stop. We get it. You think people who took advantage of this situation are terrible, immoral people. Can we not simply agree to disagree about this?
^

I tried a truce this morning.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Could someone explain to me why TPG and the airfare watchdog are all against this fare. Every article I read I see quotes from them saying its immoral and they are against it.

I haven't been on flyertalk long but I check more than 10 times a day for great deals like this one . I go to bed i check i wake up i check .I have even spent 3 months trying to figure the trick it thread trying to workout the fuel dumps , c1-c3 ,etc. I don't see this as any different just a lot easier
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Beheading!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
I think there's a lot of unofficial united employees (or family of employees) in this thread... it's the only way to explain some of the irrational vitriol.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hcampana
I thought the policy was only to refund the difference in price or miles between the 2 fares.
Plus issue a voucher based on the distance of the impact.

Not clear if 2 x vouchers would be required for a double downgrade. But certaily one per impacted segment would be required.

Midcons are $200 to $250, transcons are $500, and longer hauls are $1,000 to $1,500.

So you're probably looking at $2,000 to $3,000 minimum in vouchers to fly RT to HKG in Y per the downgrade policy.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smachiz
I think there's a lot of unofficial united employees (or family of employees) in this thread... it's the only way to explain some of the irrational vitriol.
Or people who slept late on Sunday!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by hobo13
Or people who slept late on Sunday!
LOL.

I agree with the suggestion we need a separate thread, pref in Omni, for those who want to moan and complain about the morality. I am following this thread to try and understand any relevant updates to whether the flights will be honored are not, and all I get is mumbo jumbo about how anyone benefiting should be taxed, hung, drawn and quartered
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Could someone explain to me why TPG and the airfare watchdog are all against this fare. Every article I read I see quotes from them saying its immoral and they are against it.

I haven't been on flyertalk long but I check more than 10 times a day for great deals like this one . I go to bed i check i wake up i check .I have even spent 3 months trying to figure the trick it thread trying to workout the fuel dumps , c1-c3 ,etc. I don't see this as any different just a lot easier
The difference is that a FDer won't whine about complaining to the DOT or filing a lawsuit if they are caught. Also, an FDer would not be talking about a deal in plain language on a public forum so that every hack who isn't willing to work for their benefits hops on it and causes it to be closed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.