Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
There is a video about this on business week....
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by davidbridgman
No personal experience, but about a week from denial to reinstatement.
So what if the time I was supposed to fly came between when they cancelled the tickets and reinstated them (in the unlikely event that that happens)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by cdegt
You are not going to fly without all segments are confirmed. And I'm afraid you also have to show up at the airport even get rejected, if you want your tax money back (a letter from the CA/ET counter may work). Otherwise your reservations will be highly likely get void at your expense.

And once again, do not call. Making phone calls to UA would not do any help in this situation.
Thanks...but it won't do any harm to me if I call right now, right? Anyway, UA won't automatically ticket this itinerary as of right now...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by patchan8984
There is a video about this on business week....
And, here's the link: http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2...ng-for-just-40

My favorite quote - "roundtrip tickets to Hong Kong for just a few skymiles" --> 4 SkyPesos would have been an even better deal.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lewende
Thanks...but it won't do any harm to me if I call right now, right? Anyway, UA won't automatically ticket this itinerary as of right now...
I also have an itinerary sitting in SHARES purgatory. It was sort of a 'bonus' itin, so it's not that big of a deal.

There's a possibility that it could just ticket on it's own. I doubt it, but this is SHARES we're talking about. Or you can call..... if you do, please report back. Me? I'm probably going to let it sit there and hope for the best.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by DeltaFan17
So what if the time I was supposed to fly came between when they cancelled the tickets and reinstated them (in the unlikely event that that happens)
You had a very bad day. Having said that, I don't recall reading of any instances of that happening, but it's possible that the airlines and OTAs accommodated them on different dates ... unlike with most versions of this deal, entering RGN requires a visa which requires some advanced coordination, plus positioning to RGN is far from trivial as well--I think that most people purchased tickets for travel several weeks out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
You had a very bad day. Having said that, I don't recall reading of any instances of that happening, but it's possible that the airlines and OTAs accommodated them on different dates ... unlike with most versions of this deal, entering RGN requires a visa which requires some advanced coordination, plus positioning to RGN is far from trivial as well--I think that most people purchased tickets for travel several weeks out.
I'm flying to HKG and I leave in 6 days. That's why I was wondering.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
You had a very bad day. Having said that, I don't recall reading of any instances of that happening ... unlike with most versions of this deal, entering RGN requires a visa which requires some advanced coordination, plus positioning to RGN is far from trivial as well--I think that most people purchased tickets for travel several weeks out.
Exactly. The ease of the deal has influenced tons of people too. I don't think many (if any) would jump onto a deal for $0 air fare just taxes F class to go to Pyongyang.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by lewende
you can try if you insist. I know it's a hard decision, only thing possible you can expect will be a "free" refund.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
Exactly. The ease of the deal has influenced tons of people too. I don't think many (if any) would jump onto a deal for $0 air fare just taxes F class to go to Pyongyang.
I would! I'm going next month but I paid 175K Aeroplan for the privilege.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by DeltaFan17
I'm flying to HKG and I leave in 6 days. That's why I was wondering.
One key difference with the ex-RGN tickets and this situation is that most of the ex-RGN tickets were cancelled quickly once they were discovered by the airlines ... most of us spent the time in "limbo" with our tickets cancelled not expecting to fly. While UA has indicated its intentions, it's much more difficult to figure out what to plan for now given the acknowledgement that UA is talking with the DOT.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 pm

One key difference with the ex-RGN tickets and this situation is that most of the ex-RGN tickets were cancelled quickly once they were discovered by the airlines ... most of us spent the time in "limbo" with our tickets cancelled not expecting to fly. While UA has indicated its intentions, it's much more difficult to figure out what to plan for now given the acknowledgement that UA is talking with the DOT.
Yeah, Im hoping it takes a while for the DOT and UAL to come to an agreement, and I am able to fly in the mean time. Interested to see how people traveling tomorrow make out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Talking Breaking News!

A certain FlyerTalker is now in the Air somewhere over the Pacific. I'm sorry but I can't reveal details as to departure city and destination. But trust me, this is not a drill. The FT will post on this thread once on or over American soil.

Sorry for not mentioning the name of this FT. But we have one of us already in the air!

PS: Seems like United is serving a 2006 Champagne on that flight in F... Yeah, no krug/Dom but better than a California sparkling wine!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jfkeze
A certain FlyerTalker is now in the Air somewhere over the Pacific. I'm sorry but I can't reveal details as to departure city and destination. But trust me, this is not a drill. The FT will post on this thread once on or over American soil.

Sorry for not mentioning the name of this FT. But we have one of us already in the air!

PS: Seems like United is serving a 2006 Champagne on that flight in F... Yeah, no krug/Dom but better than a California sparkling wine!
And I'm going to vouch for this post, as it talks about a mutual friend. ^

So far, so good
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I also have a flight tomorrow. Reservation is fine for now. Managed to check in. However, couldn't get the boarding pass because my "documentation needs to be verified by a UA representative" at the airport. I guess that's the passport because it's international travel. I had to input the passport number and all the details before i checked in.
And another.
Friend had the same OLCI experience as you yesterday. Airport kiosk spit out his TPAC F BP and he boarded without a problem. He is currently in the air no doubt enjoying vintage wines and gourmet cuisine that UA GlobalFirst is famous for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.