Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 18, 12, 9:30 pm

I feel that that guy (nd) on dd is an isolated incident. He story kinda lacks credibility (ticketless child, refuses to file dot complaint...) and like others have mentioned, he seems alittle whacko. until we hear some reports from other FTers I'm not worried yet
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jstn View Post
I feel that that guy (nd) on dd is an isolated incident. He story kinda lacks credibility (ticketless child, refuses to file dot complaint...) and like others have mentioned, he seems alittle whacko. until we hear some reports from other FTers I'm not worried yet
See another argument to be single and not having kids
No offense ha ha
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
he seems alittle whacko
He posts on DD, for example, instead of here.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus
Anyone know how long it took for a resolution in the case of DOT and Korean Airline for the flights from Myanmar?
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:42 pm

It has been an interesting few days. I have gone from believing there was maybe a 10% chance to seeing these honored, to a .01% chance when Shannon posted, then believing as the events of today unfolded that it was more a 60-40 chance.

Selfishly, I really want them honored. And a lot of this will sound hypocritical, and I freely admit to my own hypocrisy. At this point, without my selfish biases I would be thoroughly annoyed at DOT right now. I realize there are new rules in place now that may or may not govern this situation. I don't really care about that. I don't think DOT should have any say in this, and that's maybe my political ideology coming through. I believe that consumer protection is generally a good thing. We all know that airlines can sometimes be heartless and cruel and inflexible about some things. And I also understand that I hold a ticketed itinerary willingly issued by United.

If the DOT regulations never existed and on Monday United had universally canceled all of these tickets I think the number of people crying foul would have been extremely small. The overwhelming majority would simply have said, OK that's fair and reasonable. On to the the next one. Not a single consumer could legitimately claim harm was done to them by United (Unless refunds were slow or nonexistent). And, in the absence of DOT regulations, nobody would even be talking about this anymore.

Some of the DOT regulations are important. It's borderline torture to keep passengers on a plane in a ground delay like has been known to happen. Protecting consumers against companies in a position to cause a lot of harm to them is a noble goal. But, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. All laws and rules have unintended consequences and applications. If the DOT intervenes it will be grossly unfair to United and horrible government creep into an industry that already has the federal government's fingers up their a$$es. I would hope that rational minded people at DOT would prevail and see sense on this case. If they don't, I do hope current regulations would be reviewed by congress and amended to make sure this doesn't happen again.

With all of that said, I have not yet canceled my own ticket. Part of that is my aforementioned selfishness and hypocrisy of my powerful desire to fly first class to HKG, some of it is holding onto the intrigue of seeing how this all plays out.

Bottom line, I hope my ticket is honored. But, I hope it is honored by United because that is a choice they have made with their own business interests in mind and not through pressure, coercion, or insistence from DOT. If this comes from DOT I may not make the trip. And if I do, I'll feel really dirty about it.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:44 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LAXOGG View Post
This is not the way it is accounted for. Please read 2 (C) Significant Accounting Policies - Frequent Flyer Miles in UA's FS for the real picture.

Of course they won't account for it that way. They will use accounting tools to give themselves the most favorable outcome. I never said otherwise. My point is that the "actual damages" are quite minimal to United for this mistake. Much less then many think
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFan17 View Post
Anyone know how long it took for a resolution in the case of DOT and Korean Airline for the flights from Myanmar?
No personal experience, but about a week from denial to reinstatement.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:57 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, Plat AMB, SPG/MR Gold
There is a video about this on business week....
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
No personal experience, but about a week from denial to reinstatement.
So what if the time I was supposed to fly came between when they cancelled the tickets and reinstated them (in the unlikely event that that happens)
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
You are not going to fly without all segments are confirmed. And I'm afraid you also have to show up at the airport even get rejected, if you want your tax money back (a letter from the CA/ET counter may work). Otherwise your reservations will be highly likely get void at your expense.

And once again, do not call. Making phone calls to UA would not do any help in this situation.
Thanks...but it won't do any harm to me if I call right now, right? Anyway, UA won't automatically ticket this itinerary as of right now...
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
There is a video about this on business week....
And, here's the link: http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2...ng-for-just-40

My favorite quote - "roundtrip tickets to Hong Kong for just a few skymiles" --> 4 SkyPesos would have been an even better deal.
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lewende View Post
Thanks...but it won't do any harm to me if I call right now, right? Anyway, UA won't automatically ticket this itinerary as of right now...
I also have an itinerary sitting in SHARES purgatory. It was sort of a 'bonus' itin, so it's not that big of a deal.

There's a possibility that it could just ticket on it's own. I doubt it, but this is SHARES we're talking about. Or you can call..... if you do, please report back. Me? I'm probably going to let it sit there and hope for the best.
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by DeltaFan17 View Post
So what if the time I was supposed to fly came between when they cancelled the tickets and reinstated them (in the unlikely event that that happens)
You had a very bad day. Having said that, I don't recall reading of any instances of that happening, but it's possible that the airlines and OTAs accommodated them on different dates ... unlike with most versions of this deal, entering RGN requires a visa which requires some advanced coordination, plus positioning to RGN is far from trivial as well--I think that most people purchased tickets for travel several weeks out.
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
You had a very bad day. Having said that, I don't recall reading of any instances of that happening, but it's possible that the airlines and OTAs accommodated them on different dates ... unlike with most versions of this deal, entering RGN requires a visa which requires some advanced coordination, plus positioning to RGN is far from trivial as well--I think that most people purchased tickets for travel several weeks out.
I'm flying to HKG and I leave in 6 days. That's why I was wondering.
Old Jul 18, 12, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by lewende View Post
you can try if you insist. I know it's a hard decision, only thing possible you can expect will be a "free" refund.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: