Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JC1120
This actually isn't a bad idea. UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy. Certainly 48 hours is the most I'd ever advocate, but this is one of the areas that UA is more generous than most.
If I'm not mistaken United allows you to void up until midnight the following day, not 24 hours after the ticket was issued. Therefore, United announced this potential cancellation within that same time period that we would be expected to cancel in.

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Of course there is discrimination.
I discriminate between a hot dog and a hamburger at lunch.
Chase discriminates between people with 123 open credit cards and one.
I discriminate between travel blogs when I think certain authors are greedier than others.

"Discrimination" is only wrong when its based on a prohibited basis.

As for people opining on contract law, the doctrine of mutual mistake bars you from taking advantage of what you know to be a material mistake. Blogging about said mistake is pretty strong evidence that you knew it was a mistake.

As for those opining on the DOT regs and the CFR, if you pursue this with the DOT, I hope you are voting Democrat, as we will need to raise taxes to cover the salaries for the bureaucrats time you will waste to support your greed and self-entitlement.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 16, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Guys come on, people make mistakes, UA needs a break, literally if we don't than the airline is most likely going disappear and our miles and years of loyalty with vanish with it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Let us say for for one, I used a friends account with 100 miles.
I did not use my credit card, add my FF# or my regular phone number
I did not tell UA that I am travelling

How can they penalize me by locking my account for a gift of free ticket from my good friend?
I got the tickets as a gift, I am not responsible for their mistakes with my friends account. Why punish me?

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Well, UA can:
1. request the missing miles from their account now or throughout the process.
2. cancel the return of their trips if they do not agree with the terms of actual mileage redemption of their corresponding ticket.
3. forfeit their FFP and put them in the black list.

Like the FTers who are used to purchasing the tickets with FD, they will be responsible for the missing YQ during their trip. You have to learn the consequences and take responsibilities for *decision* you made on purchasing the award tickets.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

***temp***

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
The DoT explicitly leaves out talk of the cost including the miles, so that was in fact correct.
The CFR absolutely prohibits canceling the ticket or raising the price. If the CFR applies to these tickets then canceling them is not a viable out.

You wrote "Even if that CFR applied to these tickets (which it doesn't), it only prevented them from raising the price, not canceling." I was responding to the bulk of the statement, not addressing whether the CFR applies here or not.
Originally Posted by VandyBDL
If I'm not mistaken United allows you to void up until midnight the following day, not 24 hours after the ticket was issued.
You are mistaken.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Actually, under the new DOT guidelines, all tix can be cancelled for 24 hours (though AA claims their 24 hour hold policy equals a 24 hour cancellation policy).
I know not exactly the topic of the thread, but believe the DoT rules require either 24 hours to cancel without charge or a 24 hour hold. Believe that's why AA can do that.

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
If I'm not mistaken United allows you to void up until midnight the following day, not 24 hours after the ticket was issued. Therefore, United announced this potential cancellation within that same time period that we would be expected to cancel in.
Technically speaking, the tickets have not been voided. UA says they will contact the ticketholders. I doubt this will happen by midnight tonight, whether EST, PST, CST..
Suspended

at least most if not all on here didnt purchase any Land arrangements that were non-refundable or other LCC tkts to get to where they wanted to go. Seems folks on some other sites were celebrating in the streets (OK not that far) and claim they purchased land arrangements and other non-refundable tkts to fly onward. Why especially when their flights were months away you got me
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other thing UA should do is throw a bone to the "disappointed" HKG ticket holders.

AA's shopping website company offered 2500 miles "on your next purchase" to anyone who bought one of those silly $5 Verizon products in the hopes of snagging the "promised" 80,000 AA miles.

UA could easily offer 5000 miles off your next award ticket (maybe with a 30 day time frame) to everyone who's getting their HKG rez cancelled.

Who's doing PR for this company? Use your noggin. Don't look like the heartless, uncaring huge corporation that your critics are making you out to be.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Cohall
I recommend you research the legal definition of discrimination before continuing this course of argument.

The fact that you're actually claiming "age descrimination" on the basis that your age made you too slow to travel yesterday is offensive to those of us who actually face true discrimination (and the embarrassment, guilt, and depression that accompany it).

Your readership may be growing, but your net will be minus 1 from now on.
I think you guys are taking frugal travel guy's post too literally.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Guys come on, people make mistakes, UA needs a break, literally if we don't than the airline is most likely going disappear and our miles and years of loyalty with vanish with it.
Sorry, what goes around comes around. Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" airline since 3/3.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Everyone has booked all should knew that most of pages displayed no mileage requirements at all which should be displayed below the fare type icons. Only confirmation page displayed the "required miles" which was normal and "total miles" which was 4 or 8.

Those who claimed "most pages show the correct miles required": did you really booked your ticket or you just missed the booking window? In case of second situation, please stop talking something you don' t really know.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This is incorrect - when you buy a ticket from UA, you have 24 hours to cancel.

PMUA, when they allowed holds, I believe these were until midnight the following day. Also, on the current site, if you choose to pay using cash, you have until midnight the next day to ticket wherever - you can actually go back online and pay with a card, go to a ticket office or airport ticket counter, Western Union, etc.

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by Yammer
Get ready for the lawsuits and fines.
Good luck convincing a court!

You can be sure their lawyers had looked into this. It is a waste of money to fight this one. It is sad how many people think they should be entitled to a 10k ticket for 4 miles. Really?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:21 pm

frankly, I think it's wrong of the airline to hold its customers to a standard that they themselves will not hold....if i got my dates wrong for a trip and waited more than 24 hours and called them....they be "sorry, you have to pay a fee." I purchased a contract which they should honor....and if they don't, I'm going to make them jump through as many hoops as I can, DOT complaints, etc. and I'd suggest all of you do that too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.