Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JC1120
This actually isn't a bad idea. UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy. Certainly 48 hours is the most I'd ever advocate, but this is one of the areas that UA is more generous than most.
Actually, under the new DOT guidelines, all tix can be cancelled for 24 hours (though AA claims their 24 hour hold policy equals a 24 hour cancellation policy).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy.
Most of the US based majors (whats left of them) have had 24 hour cancel at customer request for a while. It only became the law this year that you have to allow 24 hour hold or a 24 hour cancel period
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RenHoek
But I already booked non-refundable hotels based on the reservation that was ticketed and confirmed by United. Now what?
The DoT has previously ruled (in the BA case) that expenses incurred in conjunction with the ticket which are non-refundable and which are not going to be used must be covered by the airline.

And next time don't book other, non-refundable expenses until it is clear that the mistake is being honored. You dug that hole yourself.
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Even if that CFR applied to these tickets (which it doesn't), it only prevented them from raising the price, not canceling.
This is absolutely false. Canceling the ticket is expressly noted by the DoT as being a violation in that it implies the customer only can repurchase the itinerary at the new, higher fare.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze
UA Insider, I expected a more professional response, since you had 24 hours to talk this over with lawyers. If you really want to unilaterally cancel, EVEN after people have flown on this deal, you pretty much set it up for a Class Action, but I won't go so far YET... I'm more than willing to take my chances with the DoT.
I must have missed a post from UA Insider. Where was there mention of unilateral cancellation? The post I saw was professional and mentioned two options - pay the correct amount in miles or receive a full refund.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is absolutely false. Canceling the ticket is expressly noted by the DoT as being a violation in that it implies the customer only can repurchase the itinerary at the new, higher fare.
The DoT explicitly leaves out talk of the cost including the miles, so that was in fact correct.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:05 pm

This actually isn't a bad idea. UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy. Certainly 48 hours is the most I'd ever advocate, but this is one of the areas that UA is more generous than most.
I have to agree with you. I've actually made mistakes and been able to correct them in 24 hours with no fees.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite

There is no way the law applies to award tickets. UA wouldn't bat an eye at cancelling award tickets from accounts with suspicious activity (i.e. selling FF miles, etc.) UA can cancel any award tickets at will without cause.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by iamthehpt
Actually, under the new DOT guidelines, all tix can be cancelled for 24 hours (though AA claims their 24 hour hold policy equals a 24 hour cancellation policy).
:-: good to know.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
The DoT has previously ruled (in the BA case) that expenses incurred in conjunction with the ticket which are non-refundable and which are not going to be used must be covered by the airline.

And next time don't book other, non-refundable expenses until it is clear that the mistake is being honored. You dug that hole yourself.
Dunno... booking nonrefundable expenses is a good way to cause UA to take a second look; if they're high enough they might just decide to put you on the plane instead of reimbursing.

FWIW, I'm waiting for the official email before I file the DOT complaint. Maybe they'll throw some miles/vouchers out in exchange for forgetting it. We'll see.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by murphyUA
There is no way the law applies to award tickets. UA wouldn't bat an eye at cancelling award tickets from accounts with suspicious activity (i.e. selling FF miles, etc.) UA can cancel any award tickets at will without cause.
Under the law, award tickets are treated the same as all purchased tickets. You're completely off base in your statements.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Shannon and the rest of United:

I have flown United exactly once, one way LAX-DEN, in the last 3 months. The reason for this is the extreme downgrades in service quality since the PSS conversion combined with the shift, almost exclusively, to Continental's way of doing things.

I have shifted my business to American Airlines, who not only matched my status, but offer higher service levels and a better frequent flyer program. They have welcomed me with open arms.

United, the one with the stylized U on the airplane, was my favorite airline from the time I was a small child. I've held elite status on United since 2005 and have been a 1K since 2009. That United honored every, single contract I ever entered into with it. That United bent over backwards to take care of me when things went wrong and I rewarded United with thousands upon thousands of dollars in business every year.

This United has apparently decided it will not honor the contract I entered into with it. Beyond the fact that I view such a stance as absolutely illegal, I view it as completely immoral and unethical. Whether or not this was a "mistake fare" makes no difference. I bought a ticket that United issued. That should be honored. I don't think either United or Continental would have done such a thing before the merger.

When American did their status match, my plan was to requalify on both airlines and see what I wanted to do from the start of next year. I don't see a point in that anymore. This United, which (short of some really excellent sUA front line staff who you have tortured with this merger) is not really United, has given me every reason to leave - and I control every single penny of where my travel dollar goes.
With all due respect, I think most of the content has very little to do with this particular situation here. Simply adding up what your feel about United as a whole does not make them change their mind in this particular case.

This is apparently a mistake fare from programming/IT. When most pages show the correct miles required but the final receipt was only a single digit, this basically bypassed all the hurdle of award ticketing that required standard or saver miles.(I think somebody in IT might have deliberately screwed this up with United 'by adding a divider to the equation', but who knows?) Think about the same system without exactly quoting four or eight miles, you would be able to book any tickets you want even though you do not have enough miles to redeem the tickets. Automatic systems did their job to confirm the tickets, but it will be accounting department to take care of the redemption process.

Though UA has been pretty messed up with flight scheduling, quality control, quality assessment and customer service, I do hope they are doing their best to minimize the damage from this incident following the redemptions through SQ two weekends ago.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:10 pm

Could be that the it took about 24 hours for United to decide what should be done about the "mistake fare" and Sunday, Corporate offices are not open.

Therefore, all those who flew on Sunday lucked out. I don't think it is called discrimination against those who got to fly for 4 miles yesterday and the rest don't today or later. This error wasn't talked about till the next business day which is Monday.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Sorry, but you are incorrect.
Actually, you are incorrect, and it's spelled out very clearly in previous posts by myself and others.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United
yes, someone went!

Originally Posted by nwa330
Did anyone actually make off the ground today? If so I would love a trip report or a post number to go back and read.
Thanks
see this post: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointm...edium=facebook
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
With all due respect, I think most of the content has very little to do with this particular situation here. Simply adding up what your feel about United as a whole does not make them change their mind in this particular case.

This is apparently a mistake fare from programming/IT. When most pages show the correct miles required but the final receipt was only a single digit, this basically bypassed all the hurdle of award ticketing that required standard or saver miles.(I think somebody in IT might have deliberately screwed this up with United 'by adding a divider to the equation', but who knows?) Think about the same system without exactly quoting four or eight miles, you would be able to book any tickets you want even though you do not have enough miles to redeem the tickets. Automatic systems did their job to confirm the tickets, but it will be accounting department to take care of the redemption process.
First, it wasn't most screens showing the higher amount. All screens involving actually purchasing and receipts have the lower amount. I have purchased tickets before with United and Continental where the price was increased right before purchasing. This is similar only it was lower. Some of you are so jealous that you didn't participate and are being completely illogical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.