Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 18, 12, 9:29 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
If United is asking for $150 change fee, I am better off just leaving it since I only paid $68.00 taxes per person! Fyi, my flight is still booked and confirmed on my account. Not touching anything until I hear otherwise. Not flying until October so I have time to see how this all comes out!
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:34 am

I'm booked in this for mid-April. This is stress-free entertainment for me. And, frankly, I think I am learning quite a bit about things through this experience. At this point having United honor my ticket would be gravy.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66 View Post
I'm booked in this for mid-April. This is stress-free entertainment for me. And, frankly, I think I am learning quite a bit about things through this experience. At this point having United honor my ticket would be gravy.
couldn't agree more. worst case scenario, i'm no worse off than i was saturday night, and probably with SOMETHING to show for it

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chucksterace View Post
Slowly but surely this thing is hitting more news agencies, first USA Today, then Fodors, now ABC News, the more time it takes united to sort this out the more news agencies will hit on them and the worse it will look for United.
Maybe the delay really is due to UA's uncertainty about the implications of new DoT regs. It's one thing if all they have to do is make a straightforward business decision. They've faced these situations before and therefore have some experience handling them. It's another thing entirely, however, if they think there might be fines down the line on a per-violation basis. They may very well be seeking some kind of clarification from the DoT before scripting what to say when pax are contacted.

Originally Posted by cdoobiest View Post
If United is asking for $150 change fee, I am better off just leaving it since I only paid $68.00 taxes per person! Fyi, my flight is still booked and confirmed on my account. Not touching anything until I hear otherwise. Not flying until October so I have time to see how this all comes out!
This is a major problem for them because nobody has ANY incentive to cancel these tickets, and many people obviously booked tickets they have scant intention of using. Their inventory is going to be totally whacked. Even if they agree to waive fees, why would anyone cancel before they were 110% sure they could not make the flight?

If the tickets stand, they are also going to have to provide incentives for people to cancel, not just waiving the fees, or they will lose revenue flights.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:39 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66 View Post
This is stress-free entertainment for me.
It sure is......as someone who did not get in on the deal...could have used one of my kids' accounts to fund the trip to HKG

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 18, 12 at 9:44 am Reason: FIX HTML
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:39 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by channa View Post
No reason they can't code a flight with a waiver. SHARES is supposed to be customizable, so that is something they certainly could do if they wanted to.

This is nothing out of the ordinary.

When tickets are issued, name changes are not allowed.

And when mileage tickets are changed, they are typically refared and any difference in miles (and taxes) is collected or refunded.
UA award tickets normally have no-fee changes to date/time (>21 days out), though.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool View Post
Not to mention that if someone tried to cancel their HKG ticket now they'd be slapped with a $150 per ticket fee unless they have status.
That's not at all what United has posted in this thread.

Originally Posted by cdoobiest View Post
If United is asking for $150 change fee,
That's not at all what United has posted in this thread.

Originally Posted by Chucksterace View Post
Slowly but surely this thing is hitting more news agencies, first USA Today, then Fodors, now ABC News, the more time it takes united to sort this out the more news agencies will hit on them and the worse it will look for United.
That's also not the case. It's the worse it looks for Frequent fliers. Most people in their right mind will side with United on this one, believing that anybody who thinks they were going to Hong Kong for four miles is an idiot. Even many of the frequent fliers interviewed have said they didn't expect the tickets to be honored.

United would look stupid if they honored these tickets.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
I have posted that I didn't think DOT would support. BUT, maybe I was wrong (it won't be the first time). IF they do, it will certainly put the pressure on the airlines to raise the quality of their IT departments.
If that happened, it would be doom and gloom for fare errors going forward.

dh
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
UA award tickets normally have no-fee changes to date/time (>21 days out), though.
And at the time of the change, if the miles required for your new itinerary are different from what you paid, you will be quoted a change in miles.

The no-fee policy is based on the assumption that your award type is still available, which in this case, they're not.

This is the way CO typically handles promo awards, award cost changes, etc.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
So my understanding is most of the folks here who got these tickets had the requisite amount of miles (140k) in their accounts, so the proper mileage was eventually deducted - what is the end game everyone is expecting - a refund of 139,996 miles?

If the correct mileage was deducted from your accounts, then you have a valid and properly priced ticket, no?
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It doesn't matter what they think as far as the DoT is concerned.

UA is not concerned about "looking stupid" in the eyes of an FT poster.

They are absolutely concerned about the benefit/cost calculus and the potential scope of fines levied for infractions under 14 CFR 399.88. IDB fines are also a possibility if they deny boarding to people with ticketed reservations.

That's why:

a. The management have offered a free redeposit without resorting to the dubious steps of cxling.

b. They haven't touched the other reservations.

c. 72 hours or more have passed since ticketing for many pax.

Meantime, more people continue to fly. Which means:

d. A selective action against remaining ticketed pax makes their situation more perilous.
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
So my understanding is most of the folks here who got these tickets had the requisite amount of miles (140k) in their accounts, so the proper mileage was eventually deducted - what is the end game everyone is expecting - a refund of 139,996 miles?

If the correct mileage was deducted from your accounts, then you have a valid and properly priced ticket, no?
I am not one of these people, but I think the simple discrepancy here is that 140k miles were deducted when they were quoted 4 miles, which constitutes a difference "price" paid than what is quoted prior to purchase -- the exact situation the DOT rule addresses.

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
Maybe the delay really is due to UA's uncertainty about the implications of new DoT regs. It's one thing if all they have to do is make a straightforward business decision. They've faced these situations before and therefore have some experience handling them. It's another thing entirely, however, if they think there might be fines down the line on a per-violation basis. They may very well be seeking some kind of clarification from the DoT before scripting what to say when pax are contacted.
I am absolutely convinced that this delay is United rethinking just how badly the DOT might come after them if they cancel these.

Personally, I think United's response on this forum was laughable. If they are told to honor these, I can't wait to hear how they come back and spin it.
Old Jul 18, 12, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fragment54 View Post
BTW, I would be fully supportive of disallowing any name changes/date changes on the tickets.
What tickets allow name changes anyways??

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Maybe or maybe not. But if there are regulations which govern what they can do then they'll look even more stupid trying to act counter to those rules.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: