Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 16, 12, 8:52 pm
Suspended

United has to honor what was ticketed and confirmed *PERIOD* It's the law.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
Someone on DansDealsForums took off and landed already.
He supposedly already has a boarding pass for the return.
Well, UA can:

1. request the missing miles from their account now or throughout the process.
2. cancel the return of their trips if they do not agree with the terms of actual mileage redemption of their corresponding ticket.
3. forfeit their FFP and put them in the black list.

Like the FTers who are used to purchasing the tickets with FD, they will be responsible for the missing YQ during their trip. You have to learn the consequences and take responsibilities for *decision* you made on purchasing the award tickets.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Well...they're not.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:55 pm

It's your interpretation of the law, and that it was ticketed and confirmed based on the CoC.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL:DM;DL Reserve; Marriott Platinum; Priority Club Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
so do I file my DOT complaint now?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Shannon and the rest of United:

I have flown United exactly once, one way LAX-DEN, in the last 3 months. The reason for this is the extreme downgrades in service quality since the PSS conversion combined with the shift, almost exclusively, to Continental's way of doing things.

I have shifted my business to American Airlines, who not only matched my status, but offer higher service levels and a better frequent flyer program. They have welcomed me with open arms.

United, the one with the stylized U on the airplane, was my favorite airline from the time I was a small child. I've held elite status on United since 2005 and have been a 1K since 2009. That United honored every, single contract I ever entered into with it. That United bent over backwards to take care of me when things went wrong and I rewarded United with thousands upon thousands of dollars in business every year.

This United has apparently decided it will not honor the contract I entered into with it. Beyond the fact that I view such a stance as absolutely illegal, I view it as completely immoral and unethical. Whether or not this was a "mistake fare" makes no difference. I bought a ticket that United issued. That should be honored. I don't think either United or Continental would have done such a thing before the merger.

When American did their status match, my plan was to requalify on both airlines and see what I wanted to do from the start of next year. I don't see a point in that anymore. This United, which (short of some really excellent sUA front line staff who you have tortured with this merger) is not really United, has given me every reason to leave - and I control every single penny of where my travel dollar goes.
The greatest irony of this is that they never would have sold that seat for $10,000. They'd have given it away to a kettle for $149.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:57 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ramblers63 View Post
Popcorn ready. Over/under on first threat of "lawyering up" once UA cancels? I'll go Monday at 2pm.
You were off by 7 hours! UA Insider took till 9.08 PM Monday to cancel these.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
Well, UA can:

1. request the missing miles from their account now or throughout the process.
2. cancel the return of their trips if they do not agree with the terms of actual mileage redemption of their corresponding ticket.
3. forfeit their FFP and put them in the black list.

Like the FTers who are used to purchasing the tickets with FD, they will be responsible for the missing YQ during their trip. You have to learn the consequences and take responsibilities for *decision* you made on purchasing the award tickets.
No, they can't ask for the difference, that's what the DOT regulations expressly forbid.

Originally Posted by murphyUA View Post
Well...they're not.
They're trying, but they'll lose and pay fines and compensation in lawsuits.

Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
It's your interpretation of the law, and that it was ticketed and confirmed based on the CoC.
The DOT regulations are quite clear on this matter. You'd have to be Bill "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" Clinton to misunderstand them enough to think United can get away with this.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
The greatest irony of this is that they never would have sold that seat for $10,000. They'd have given it away to a kettle for $149.
That might have been the BEST case scenario. More like a non-rev!
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Well, I am not going to get all hot and bothered about UA cancelling my 4-mile int'l award ticket. I mean, obviously, it was a mistake.

That said, I do think this incident DEMANDS action by the DOT to level the playing field on non-refundable airline fees. If an airline can take more than 24 hours to cancel my reservation (and, remember, nobody has been individually notified yet, so the clock is still running), I should be able to take more than 24 hours to cancel. Should both sides have 3 days to cancel? Or 5? I don't know what the precise time frame should be, and I'm not sure that one number is necessarily better than another. I'd even let the airline industry decide what cancellation window they need. But it should be equal to both sides. This would be fair. And it would make a lot of customers happier with their air transportation purchases.
This actually isn't a bad idea. UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy. Certainly 48 hours is the most I'd ever advocate, but this is one of the areas that UA is more generous than most.

I agree...I'd suggest everyone say "no." when they ask you to make a choice, just say no. say you bought a confirmed ticket....which was then ticketed by them and you expect them to honor it. see what they do....i'm not so sure they would cancel it. if it is the law...for all we know this is their way of decreasing their final costs of their screwup.

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
This whole thing is hilarous. People pouncing on an extreme mistake - and for first no less. Honestly, how could anyone have thought for real that UA wouldn't take it back? Instead of using all your energy on trying to stick it to the airline, and getting something you are not paying for, don't you have kids to tend to and marriages to work on? The party is over - was a diversion, but hopefully we are not really becoming OVER INTITLED!

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
They're trying, but they'll lose and pay fines and compensation in lawsuits.

The DOT regulations are quite clear on this matter. You'd have to be Bill "It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" Clinton to misunderstand them enough to think United can get away with this.
Sorry, but you are incorrect.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
That might have been the BEST case scenario. More like a non-rev!
I agree, for UA seats.
For *A seats they would have blocked them so no one could use their miles.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
This actually isn't a bad idea. UA is the only airline that I know of that allows a 24 hour cxl policy. Certainly 48 hours is the most I'd ever advocate, but this is one of the areas that UA is more generous than most.
Actually, under the new DOT guidelines, all tix can be cancelled for 24 hours (though AA claims their 24 hour hold policy equals a 24 hour cancellation policy).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: