Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
i think, this part was updated 30 min ago: "Johnson says United is cooperating with the inquiry and that "we're confident of a fair outcome."

maybe a good sign...
"Fair outcome" for who though?

I do think it's odd that UA hasn't taken any steps to void this tickets after Shannon's post.

BTW, what authority does the DOT have to "negotiate" an "outcome" with UA? I mean, I assume that any solution that resulted in pax flying free to HKG would be more than acceptable to almost all the folks holding these tickets. But if the DOT negotiates something less than that, what legal protection would that actually afford UA?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:10 am

So what do we do? If we have tickets for travel in the next week do we just show up to the airport and travel as we normally would?
I would hate to go to the airport and be told-- sorry but we can't honor this ticket, etc, and have a dilemma.

Do we call UA to reconfirm or something-- but we're attracting more attneinton? Not sure...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
HKG keeps getting solely mentioned throughout these posts and media stories. A reminder to all that mainland china origins/destinations also qualified for the "deal".

(probably coincidentally, but maybe not if this was a malicious act, 4 and 8 carry a lot superstition in Chinese culture. 4 being extremely bad, 8 being fantastic)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antepali
So what do we do? If we have tickets for travel in the next week do we just show up to the airport and travel as we normally would?
I would hate to go to the airport and be told-- sorry but we can't honor this ticket, etc, and have a dilemma.
Do we call UA to reconfirm or something-- but we're attracting more attention? Not sure...
There are a number of FTers traveling this week, so we should get reports. Suspect that you will be fine. You can also OLCI at T-24.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
"Fair outcome" for who though?

I do think it's odd that UA hasn't taken any steps to void this tickets after Shannon's post.

BTW, what authority does the DOT have to "negotiate" an "outcome" with UA? I mean, I assume that any solution that resulted in pax flying free to HKG would be more than acceptable to almost all the folks holding these tickets. But if the DOT negotiates something less than that, what legal protection would that actually afford UA?
Seems to me that if the DOT has authority to make a ruling and enforce fines, then that's all the legal authority they need and will be upheld in court.

My question is, will the compromise be one ticket per passenger? Or will UA be forced to honor all 75 tickets from the guy who claims he did that?

I booked a ticket to HKG for a time that I absolutely cannot make because I was giving it a 1% chance they would honor these. I was planning on making a date change. Then I was charged 120K miles despite my receipt reflecting 8 miles. Did everyone else on here not have enough miles for one ticket and therefore not worried about getting their miles back? I would be shocked if they honor these (and not terribly upset if they did not) but if they did I would think they would fall under the same rules regarding changes. I would have to read the receipt again buy aren't the change rules usually listed on the ticket?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Antepali

Do we call UA to reconfirm or something-- but we're attracting more attneinton? Not sure...
Checking online, if all goes well, just go
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by JC1120
My question is, will the compromise be one ticket per passenger? Or will UA be forced to honor all 75 tickets from the guy who claims he did that?
Let's remember that one participant in an anonymous online survey said that he or she purchased "75" tickets - we have no idea if this really happened or not (at least nobody's owned up to it).

Could there be others who purchased dozens of tickets? Certainly. But let's not get carried away with this whole 75 thing...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Sure it's fair - "Hey, I saw you ring that last customer at this price - you need to do the same for me!"
That's different. This is as if we both purchased the same ring at the same time on different registers, and they made me bring my ring back, and not the other person. Mistake or not, it isn't equal. I get that life's not fair sometimes, but in this instance it is in fact unfair. And as several others have said, many of us have made mistakes when ticketing UA fares, and we have to pay for those mistakes, so why shouldn't UA?

Just because it is on a larger scale? If I need to change a ticket and it costs me a lot to change it due to fare increases, that doesn't make UA want to charge me less than if it were just the $150 change fee. Simply because it's a larger mistake than most, UA shouldn't honor it?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Checking online, if all goes well, just go
Yeah, the only thing I absolutely wouldn't do is call UA and ask "will you be honoring my ticket tomorrow?" No good will come from that. If you can't live with the uncertainty (which is obviously quite unfortunate) it would be better to just not go than call and see "what they'll do for you."
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I would think the only way forward for near-term travel is to treat these tickets as valid, since frankly, they are. Check in online. Go to the airport. Board your flight. They're real tickets, confirmed and active, still in the system, and you should approach this with the full expectation that your ticket is no different than any other UA ticket -- that is, unless you've been personally notified differently directly by United personnel.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Chucksterace
Mosley says the new rule would apply to frequent-flier tickets, "particularly when they also entail cash payments."
The rule says that no post-purchase price increase can occur after a customer receives a confirmation of the purchase "even when the fare is a 'mistake.' "
This is so clutch. That sounds like the answer to me...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Let's remember that one participant in an anonymous online survey said that he or she purchased "75" tickets - we have no idea if this really happened or not (at least nobody's owned up to it).

Could there be others who purchased dozens of tickets? Certainly. But let's not get carried away with this whole 75 thing...
Understand your point, but it doesn't change the premise of the question. If person A buys 12 tickets for himself/herself, will all 12 be honored? Is that the intent of the DOT regulation and how they will rule? Or will the compromise be that they get to decide which one they want? And yes, I know people who've bought many in their own name so this isn't hypothetical. Of course, any answers any of us give on this forum on thips topic are hypothetical at the moment anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1015-1k
HKG keeps getting solely mentioned throughout these posts and media stories. A reminder to all that mainland china origins/destinations also qualified for the "deal".

(probably coincidentally, but maybe not if this was a malicious act, 4 and 8 carry a lot superstition in Chinese culture. 4 being extremely bad, 8 being fantastic)

On Sunday, I tried to book "the deal" into PVG and it didn't work. I switched to HKG and -- bingo. Not sure why this happened, and I didn't go back to try to book PVG.

Not sure how many folks are holding "mainland China" tickets but, obviously, my previous comments about getting a visa are different if you need one to get to your destination. If I were booked in the next couple of weeks to a mainland China destination and needed the visa, I'd go and apply for one now, and assume UA would be picking up the tab if they cancelled the rez. Chinese visas aren't so easy to get at the last minute.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Chinese visas aren't so easy to get at the last minute.
Not always true. I've gotten all of mine at 24 hours, but, of course, you have to live in a city with a consulate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.