Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 17, 12, 10:19 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Yes, this is exactly what did it . It had nothing to do with overly generous employee benefits, higher fuel prices, increased competition, and 9/11. If anything, being nice to its most loyal customers probably saved them from being liquidated.

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
That was what made UA go Ch 11 twice, I think, being nice like that.
Now it is "too bad, move on folks..."
They even gave me 200$ voucher for a compliment (for my concern) in the past!
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I'm not sure what else there is to say about the ethics of this mistake award offer. Maybe discussion of this topic should be suspended at this point?

Meanwhile, I AM interested in 2 very important topics that are getting drowned out by the ethics banter. First, what about the travellers who are flying on these tickets and, I assume, the many more who are about to depart? Perhaps there should be a separate thread devoted to this very important topic?

Second, why is it taking UA so long to actually do ANYTHING about the mistake tickets? We're at about 60 hours from the fact now and that's a crazy amount of time for UA to leave this thing hanging. Nobody would think the note from Shannon was sufficient, especially since the tickets are still currently valid and folks are presumably using them every day.
These are important issues since there could be unpleasant surprises when the hopeful travelers arrive at the airport.

UA needs to take action immediately IMO.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA;AGR;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
I'm not sure what else there is to say about the ethics of this mistake award offer. Maybe discussion of this topic should be suspended at this point?

Meanwhile, I AM interested in 2 very important topics that are getting drowned out by the ethics banter. First, what about the travellers who are flying on these tickets and, I assume, the many more who are about to depart? Perhaps there should be a separate thread devoted to this very important topic?

Second, why is it taking UA so long to actually do ANYTHING about the mistake tickets? We're at about 60 hours from the fact now and that's a crazy amount of time for UA to leave this thing hanging. Nobody would think the note from Shannon was sufficient, especially since the tickets are still currently valid and folks are presumably using them every day.
+1 ^
Thank you! I keep coming back to this thread for some REAL information and just see more arguing back and forth. Is anyone flying in the next 24 hours? Have you been able to check in for your flight?
I booked a ticket for March, so for that itinerary I can just wait it out, but my partner booked us a ticket to HKG for this weekend, and wish things could be settled one way or the other so we can make hotel reservations and such (it's just a three day trip).

I mean can we just agree to disagree on the ethical and legal issues (how many times can we argue the same point!) and stick to the practical information for which Flyertalk has been of such value in the past?
I hope anyone who travels in the next few days will report back.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:25 pm

I totally agree....enough ethics....those of you who didn't wake up early enough on sunday...your criticism is noted and we will accept that you think we are all horrible awful people....those of you prior mock trial lawyers who like to argue with people who are trying to ruin this for everyone for the sake of arguing, please drop it and lets focus on the positive:

What is happening? I've seen several posts glossed over about someone who knew what they were telling united mileage customer service reps...i'd like to know more about that.

I'd like to know more about who flew yesterday, today and tomorrow....

Someone talk to flight attendants, ticket agents, etc while at the airport...i mean we are frequent fliers.....find out....and then report.

please no more ethics...rather...gather information to help us with the DOT if it must come to that.

oh and if anyone wants to throw a bone to a relative newbie, please pm me with how i can learn more on more deals/mistake fares/etc that can help me in the future...and i promise to follow the rules...DONT CALL AND KEEP THINGS SHHHH! :-) thanks.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:27 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ConcordeBoy View Post
1) UA has only filed Chpt11 once.

2) I'd say horrific labor relations, inefficient operations at their home hub, assets leveraged to the hilt, the disastrous "Summer of 2000" fiasco, crushing debt at bad interest rates, lack of rationalized fleet, etc.... all had a lotttttttt more to do with UA's filing than "being nice like that" on 1off fare flops.
And of course the huge drop off in demand for flying in the 1st part of this past decade (resulting in more seat availability and lower fares, reduced incomehttp://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/ ) after 9/11 pared with increased jet fuel costs http://www.indexmundi.com/commoditie...uel&months=180 (increased cost.)

(Increased costs, reduced demand) > (all other factors) by far. Trying to blame that, which hapened to just about every airline worldwide, and more so to US airlines on what you mntioned is clealy not understaning the basics of airline economics. Demand fell for all, not just UA. Look at all the other carriers that filed for court protection during the same time.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Is anyone flying tomorrow or Thursday? Are you going to take the risk?
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
And of course the huge drop off in demand for flying in the 1st part of this past decade (resulting in more seat availability and lower fares, reduced incomehttp://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/ ) after 9/11 pared with increased jet fuel costs http://www.indexmundi.com/commoditie...uel&months=180 (increased cost.)
Of course, but to be honest, I'd call that more of a catalyst than a cause. UA was cruising for a bruising long before 9/11. That just shattered any delusion that they were going to come out of this via merger, acquisition, or any other out-of-court means.... and even THAT took nearly half a year to sink in.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by sal2009 View Post
I totally agree....enough ethics....those of you who didn't wake up early enough on sunday...your criticism is noted and we will accept that you think we are all horrible awful people....those of you prior mock trial lawyers who like to argue with people who are trying to ruin this for everyone for the sake of arguing, please drop it and lets focus on the positive:

What is happening? I've seen several posts glossed over about someone who knew what they were telling united mileage customer service reps...i'd like to know more about that.

I'd like to know more about who flew yesterday, today and tomorrow....

Someone talk to flight attendants, ticket agents, etc while at the airport...i mean we are frequent fliers.....find out....and then report.

please no more ethics...rather...gather information to help us with the DOT if it must come to that.

oh and if anyone wants to throw a bone to a relative newbie, please pm me with how i can learn more on more deals/mistake fares/etc that can help me in the future...and i promise to follow the rules...DONT CALL AND KEEP THINGS SHHHH! :-) thanks.
I bit ironic. You post less that once every 6 months on average (prior to this thread, about once every 2 years,) yet ask those that regularly contribute to the benefit of the members to please keep their $0.02 out of it. Your only request is "how can I get more great deals?" Perhaps by gaining the trust and respect as someone who adds and not just takes, is a good way to be "included". FT is a community, even people who we don't agree with contribute. Asking them to not post so you don't have to wade thru it to get at only what you want is not the way this forum works.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:36 pm

Programs: AOPA
There are no risks for people already left. Just wish they don't contact you before you take off.

I think it will be a PR nightmare if they cancel the ticket during your trip. If you get canceled in Hong Kong, just give CNN in HK a call, I'm sure you be on the next flight home. (american consult is always available)

Originally Posted by flyersky1 View Post
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by flyersky1 View Post
A good friend of mine is flying on one of these tickets in the very near future. So far, the itinerary is still showing on .sux, and all appears well.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they show up at the airport.

I will update the thread if they are able to fly without issue.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
I bit ironic. You post less that once every 6 months on average, yet ask those that regularly contribute to the benefit of the members to please keep their $0.02 out of it. Your only request is "how can I get more great deals?" Perhaps by gaining the trust and respect as someone who adds and not just takes, is a good way to be "included". FT is a community, even people who we don't agree with contribute. Asking them to not post so you don't have to wade thru it to get at only what you want is not the way this forum works.
I agree that my limited experience here give me less of a standing to say how to post....however, I would think that the point of this forum is to help other traveler/frequent fliers learn about the tricks of the trade.....relatively useless issues about morality don't really help anyone....except for the person making themselves feel better by arguing so they can be "right."

I bet that most people agree with me....only are being silent. Let's keep to how we can help each other understand the rules, play by the rules, and when a new rule exists (even for a sec) to take advantage of the rules....leave the moral regligous debates at home for your parents, wives and girlfriends. i'm done. all future posts will be about how to help other flyers instead of a few people on here that won't stop and will keep posting their not helpful pulpit morality talk.
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
A good friend of mine is flying on one of these tickets in the very near future. So far, the itinerary is still showing on .sux, and all appears well.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they show up at the airport.

I will update the thread if they are able to fly without issue.
Yes, please update us
I am done looking at arguments. I just wanna know how people will be treated when they are at the airport since I am going in Sep
Old Jul 17, 12, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sal2009 View Post
I agree that my limited experience here give me less of a standing to say how to post....however, I would think that the point of this forum is to help other traveler/frequent fliers learn about the tricks of the trade.....relatively useless issues about morality don't really help anyone....except for the person making themselves feel better by arguing so they can be "right."

I bet that most people agree with me....only are being silent. Let's keep to how we can help each other understand the rules, play by the rules, and when a new rule exists (even for a sec) to take advantage of the rules....leave the moral regligous debates at home for your parents, wives and girlfriends. i'm done. all future posts will be about how to help other flyers instead of a few people on here that won't stop and will keep posting their not helpful pulpit morality talk.
cant remember the last time I Laughed so long and hard!
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
It's a bit over-the-top to say your interpretation is flawless - others have to make that determination in the end. By definition, your interpretation is an individual opinion and nothing more, until it is proven otherwise. Maybe you actually fall in with the 90% majority rather than the minority?
+1

This whole thread is great entertainment for those of us who don't have a horse in this race.

Having already been vindicated on my prediction that UA would cancel the tickets, I look forward to similar result when all of the DOT complaints and lawsuits are shot down.

There is no downside for UA - the public as a whole don't care about a few people getting their award tickets cancelled. It just doesn't appear on the radar screen as the vast majority can't relate. If anything they probably resent seeing a few FT insiders gaming the system as most have enough difficulty just redeeming miles for a 25k domestic award (especially those flying DL). Think about it - we can't get any traction on the TSA harassment which affects everyone, and it took years to get action on the tarmac delays (which everyone can appreciate) nobody is going to give a [darn] when your 4-mile awards go poof. @:-)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 18, 12 at 4:43 am Reason: profanity
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:37 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
A brief cautionary note for the phony tough and crazy brave lying in bed dreaming of dragging Jeff Smisek into court by his ears: "post-trial motion for fees and costs," or, in layman's terms, "loser pays."

I was at the courthouse today (welcome to my world) and saw a case where a woman suffered a brain injury at an ice skating rink. She sued the rink and was represented by a knowledgable, experienced, well-regarded local attorney. A guy you'd want as your neighbor, not an ambulance chaser. Very solid case. Well-prepared, all the bases covered.

And she lost. The jury ruled for the rink. And then she got hit with the defendant's legal fees and costs, north of $30,000.

I don't know the merits or details of her case. Maybe her fault, maybe not. Not important to the larger point: sometimes you win, but be prepared to pay - a lot - if you lose.

Lecture over. Please resume drafting your motions for judgment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: