Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 16, 12, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I know I'm in the minority here (and if I'd been around a computer I'd of jumped on this myself) but those of you who actually got in on this . . . did you actually think UA would honor the ticket ? 4 miles ? For a ticket that costs (ORD-HKG just throwing in some random dates in OCT) $10244.80

Over-entitled ? You-betcha.

Last edited by n198ua; Jul 16, 12 at 8:48 pm Reason: .
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
Does anyone think that in this short timeframe that UA has consulted the DoT before making the announcement?
I highly doubt it.

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
We know what UA is going to respond....

Call the hotel or car rental company and tell them:
lol this is true good one
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
Does anyone think that in this short timeframe that UA has consulted the DoT before making the announcement?
I'd bet yes. And we need to think about the long term ramifications of taking this all the way down the road. My bet if the outcome including legal fees is in the hundreds of thousands or few million dollars, all airlines are going to rethink what they provide for FF benefits.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by RenHoek View Post
But I already booked non-refundable hotels based on the reservation that was ticketed and confirmed by United. Now what?

You wait for them to contact you to demand to be reimbursed. I'm not sure what would happen. Its one of the risks for making a too good to be true reservation. This is why many people recommend not to book non-refundable so soon.

This is uncharted territory with the new DOT rules so don't give up yet.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
It's a good thing I kept my demand letter and DOT complaint from the ex-RGN deal handy ... that should save me some time. Anyone that thinks this is over now is sorely mistaken.

It should be fun watching United's DOT complaint rate rise in July too ... who thought that they could beat their recent achievements in that area?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by HCSmooth66 View Post
I hear you. I have never flown just to fly. My 4 miles and $40 for a first class ticket to HKG would still have been far less comfortable to me than my free recliner and bed in my house. I would've made a trip out of my flight to HKG and probably picked up a cheap flight or 2 from HKG to other Asian cities, but flying just to fly doesn't make much sense to me.
my plan exactly. i was looking forward to seeing taipei and hopefully some resort in china as well. and maybe, if we're lucky, we will. something tells me this will take a while to be resolved and will end up not being as cut and dried as others might think right now. you know, i'd be content to let them downgrade me to coach (well, maybe keep me in business on for the long haul flight over )
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
This is the right move, thanks for correcting the error and canceling the tickets so that those willing to pay the correct amount can find space.

And to those claiming that the DoT should get involved - not in this case. Even if that CFR applied to these tickets (which it doesn't), it only prevented them from raising the price, not canceling.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:45 pm

Programs: OZ D,UA 1K, HH G,Hyatt D, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ianmanka View Post
ROFL!!!

Regardless of the result, this has been a fun game to play. Now let's start round 2 with 2 lives left
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I know I'm in the minority here (and if I'd been around a computer I'd of jumped on this myself) but those of you who actually got in on this . . . did you actually think UA would honor the ticket ? 4 miles ? For a ticket that costs (ORD-LHR just throwing in some random dates in OCT) $10244.80

Over-entitled ? You-betcha.
[Comment removed by moderator.]United flies people in F/J/whatever all the time for less than we all just paid for our tickets. When the reservation was ticketed and confirmed not only on United but partner airlines and seats can be picked/confirmed, you bet I expect the ticket to be honored.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 16, 12 at 8:51 pm Reason: Inappropriate comment per rules
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
And if the roles had been reversed? How would UA respond to this for example:

Over the weekend, we discovered an error where we overpaid for a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We give UA a choice, either to cancel this booking and refund the fare or to change to the fare we really wanted. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.
I can't resist ...

Hi UA, over the weekend, I discovered a mental error that caused me to book flights with UA for the last 10 years, usually overpaying and often choosing inconvenient schedules to get 1K benefits that have turned out to be substantially below published levels, which I am disclosing to you. I have since corrected the error and will be in contact with you to adjust how much I've paid for those tickets. You will be given the choice to charge me what I should have paid or to provide me with the benefits you promised to provide before you were taken over by crazy guys from Texas. I regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:47 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Who changed the title of this thread... a little premature...I just checked my MileagePlus account and the res is still there. Maybe someone hacked that UA reps flyertalk account. I'm certainly not taking a posting on flyertalk as the official position of United just yet.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Shannon and the rest of United:

I have flown United exactly once, one way LAX-DEN, in the last 3 months. The reason for this is the extreme downgrades in service quality since the PSS conversion combined with the shift, almost exclusively, to Continental's way of doing things.

I have shifted my business to American Airlines, who not only matched my status, but offer higher service levels and a better frequent flyer program. They have welcomed me with open arms.

United, the one with the stylized U on the airplane, was my favorite airline from the time I was a small child. I've held elite status on United since 2005 and have been a 1K since 2009. That United honored every, single contract I ever entered into with it. That United bent over backwards to take care of me when things went wrong and I rewarded United with thousands upon thousands of dollars in business every year.

This United has apparently decided it will not honor the contract I entered into with it. Beyond the fact that I view such a stance as absolutely illegal, I view it as completely immoral and unethical. Whether or not this was a "mistake fare" makes no difference. I bought a ticket that United issued. That should be honored. I don't think either United or Continental would have done such a thing before the merger.

When American did their status match, my plan was to requalify on both airlines and see what I wanted to do from the start of next year. I don't see a point in that anymore. This United, which (short of some really excellent sUA front line staff who you have tortured with this merger) is not really United, has given me every reason to leave - and I control every single penny of where my travel dollar goes.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
***temp***

Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
It should be fun watching United's DOT complaint rate rise in July too ... who thought that they could beat their recent achievements in that area?
I doubt it will make much of a difference. You cant go any lower than having the most complaints
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am not going to get all hot and bothered about UA cancelling my 4-mile int'l award ticket. I mean, obviously, it was a mistake.

That said, I do think this incident DEMANDS action by the DOT to level the playing field on non-refundable airline fees. If an airline can take more than 24 hours to cancel my reservation (and, remember, nobody has been individually notified yet, so the clock is still running), I should be able to take more than 24 hours to cancel. Should both sides have 3 days to cancel? Or 5? I don't know what the precise time frame should be, and I'm not sure that one number is necessarily better than another. I'd even let the airline industry decide what cancellation window they need. But it should be equal to both sides. This would be fair. And it would make a lot of customers happier with their air transportation purchases.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: