Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 17, 12, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by murphyUA View Post
Well once they cancel, there would no longer be a confirmed itinerary, meaning they should be able to charge whatever they want.
Yeah, I mean, you'd make a good young lawyer trying to think outside the box a bit there (although I'd guess you're about 70 years old). But, no, this won't work. No bizarre interpretation of a rule that completely eliminates the rule will ever be upheld.

I wouldn't count on the DoT saying "you can't raise the price on a confirmed ticket, but you can just cancel it and charge a higher price to rebook." The ticket is a contract. Both parties are bound by it. What the federal regs have done is said the carrier cannot void the ticket on the basis of mistake, which is a defense they would normally have been able to use.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:16 pm

Apologies if this was posted already.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...fed/56273516/1

DOT quoted as saying new rules might protect the pax.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:17 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
+1

The big picture is if these are honored, and United takes the revenue hit that others have so nicely put together, that in the end, the consumers will pay for it. Whether it's more devaluation, higher prices, more fees, etc. All of us will pay, one way or another, big or small, for this error if the tickets are valid.
Regardless we're going to pay.

Even if UA cancels the tickets and says "F-You" to everyone we (the consumer) will still end up paying to recoup the costs that UA incurs as a result, be it new computer systems, legal fees, etc.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exp, MM, UA
Could be some dreaded but sometimes unanticipated oversold F cabins on the horizon. What is an available solution? Someone will have to be downgraded, and could that be the folks that purchased 4 mile F trips to HKG. Of course they would be due compensation, a Y seat along with a refund of their cost of the F ticket.

Make it a middle Y seat.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
Yeah, I mean, you'd make a good young lawyer trying to think outside the box a bit there (although I'd guess you're about 70 years old). But, no, this won't work. No bizarre interpretation of a rule that completely eliminates the rule will ever be upheld.
It's comical how certain you are in this whole thing

You're also way wrong with the age prediction (so you're still batting 1.000!)
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan View Post

Even if UA cancels the tickets and says "F-You" to everyone we (the consumer) will still end up paying to recoup the costs that UA incurs as a result, be it new computer systems, legal fees, etc.

Fortunately, there are other airlines to use if their most recent mistake drives their prices too high.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
That's to stop us cancelling out at 120k each, or normal price That would be even worse for them because then their inventory management would be in royal disarray.

Also, if these remain confirmed, they can't be treated as "apartheid" awards. That means at some point they're going to become changeable under normal UA program rules, for those who aren't happy with their current bookings.
So you mean the system will prevent me from cancelling my non-capacity-controlled USA-HKG roundtrip and automatically depositing the "proper" 300,000 miles into my MileagePlus account?

That would be an even better mistake.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan View Post
Recoup what costs? Most of these award tickets are going to display non-revs or upgrades anyway. And even if there were costs to recoup, pricing fares higher than the competition wouldn't work.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
I just hope the people that got this deal and now have this holier then thou attitude have a nice trip. When they get back they no longer have the right to consider themselves "some of Uniteds best customers" nor should they ever open their mouths again and complain how the airline is treating them. If I was United I would let everyone who got this mistake fare go on their trips and then close down each ones account and rip any status away. The whole purpose of these programs is to reward loyalty. The whole purpose of Elite levels is to reward UA's best customers. None of these people fall under the category of "best customers" if the airline is forced to take a bath on an "obvious mistake" that some people exploited
I'm just curious, have you ever taken advantage of a skykit, or appreciation card? Did you ever get a $200+ cert for a faulty lightbulb or footrest? Do you honestly think that such a case would warrant such compensation?

To date, I've not fought United over anything. I booked a ticket, they gave me a confirmation. If they later decide to cancel my booking, oh well, the game was fun while it lasted. But if they end up honoring it, I get a great trip. I didn't write the DOT rules, I didn't write UA's code, I didn't decide for them to use SHARES. I decided to log onto .bomb on Sunday, request a ticket to Hong Kong, and agreed to pay what United charged me. Plain and simple. By the way, I booked one trip. Not 75, not 10, not even two. One. The funny thing is, I already had plans to go to HKG, I just hadn't bought the tickets yet.

I've kept up with these threads from the beginning, and I honestly feel that most of the "haters" out there are on their high horse not out of loyalty to United (how am I not loyal? I fly UA 95% of the time, unless its absolutely not an option), but because they didn't get in on the deal, either because they missed it, or they believed at the time it wouldn't be honored. What you seem to miss in your sweeping generalization is that (to my knowledge) no lawsuits have yet been filed, because United has yet to actually make their move. And, if in the end, United is forced to honor their mistake, its because that's what the law says they must do. I have no doubt if the law allows them to cancel, they will.

I don't know how this thing is going to end up. But what I do know is that I'm extremely loyal to United, all on my own dime mind you, and I guarantee that a lot of you on your high horses out there have cost this airline much more revenue over the years than I am with this one award ticket. If you're going to cite this as the downfall of United, then think how many times you've asked them to bend the published rules on upgrades, E+ seating for companions not on the same PNR, baggage that maybe just goes over the limit that you should technically pay overage fees for, and many, many other "courtesies."
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
Could be some dreaded but sometimes unanticipated oversold F cabins on the horizon. What is an available solution? Someone will have to be downgraded, and could that be the folks that purchased 4 mile F trips to HKG. Of course they would be due compensation, a Y seat along with a refund of their cost of the F ticket.

Make it a middle Y seat.
Are you saying that you think UA could intentionally pretend that those on these tickets don't exist, sell their seats in the F cabin, and then when presented with the resulting oversold situation move those people to the back of Y?
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:27 pm

It's comical how certain you are in this whole thing

Law's pretty clear, and my interpretation of it has been flawless since the first thread. Maybe I actually know what I'm talking about, unlike 90% of message board lawyers.....
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by GMUJD06 View Post
Did you ever get a $200+ cert for a faulty lightbulb or footrest? Do you honestly think that such a case would warrant such compensation?
Actually this would be more comparable with someone getting a $200+ cert for a faulty footrest, coming to the forum and telling everyone, then everyone trying to book that exact same seat on that exact same aircraft with the intention of getting a $200+ cert as well.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:28 pm

So I find the whole situation rather interesting. I did "buy" a few tickets, and certainly if UA is forced to honour them, I'm going to fly (Well not really, tickets were for my parents).

That said, there's really really no reason UA should have to honour these. We all agree that in any other industry, a mistake is a mistake. I know we have the DoT rules and I understand why those were put into place -- so many different prices to pay, how does one know if it's a real price or a mistake, but there's got to be some protection for both consumers and the service providers.

Now, I do find that if UA is allowed to cancel these tickets on the basis that the DoT rules don't apply to reward tickets, that's really problematic. Otherwise the airline can kick you off a plane 3 days before flying because they'd really rather sell the seat. A confirmed ticket is a confirmed ticket, and it really shouldn't matter how one got in.

Likewise, I find it problematic if UA is allowed to cancel these tickets on the basis that we didn't provide "full" payment since they never grabbed those 4 or 8 or 12 miles from people's accounts. Then what's to stop an airline from charging you later, or charging you 90% of a fare at ticket purchase and being allowed to cancel your ticket the night before travel because they haven't yet charged that last 10%?

If UA is in fact allowed to cancel them, I hope it's simply because the DoT decides it was so obviously a mistake and no one actually thought this was the right price. Obviously people here will be unhappy, but at least all of our DoT protections would still sort of stand.

And finally, if they're going to cancel them, they better do it soon. The longer it goes, the harder it is to argue it was a mistake, one was in a remorse period, etc.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
There is no way the law applies to award tickets. UA wouldn't bat an eye at cancelling award tickets from accounts with suspicious activity (i.e. selling FF miles, etc.) UA can cancel any award tickets at will without cause.
The same "experts" who said that there was NO WAY the mistake fare law applied to award tickets, are still sure that there is NO WAY united would honor these tickets
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
Law's pretty clear, and my interpretation of it has been flawless since the first thread. Maybe I actually know what I'm talking about, unlike 90% of message board lawyers.....
It's a bit over-the-top to say your interpretation is flawless - others have to make that determination in the end. By definition, your interpretation is an individual opinion and nothing more, until it is proven otherwise. Maybe you actually fall in with the 90% majority rather than the minority?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: