Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 17, 12, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
I guarantee you the same folks who are going after this and demanding they get their trips to HKG for 4 miles are the same ones who would raise hell if they made a mistake and a company stuck to the "rules" and wouldn't give them a refund or allow a change.

"You make a mistake, tough luck, I get the benefit! I make a mistake, hey can't you see I made a mistake and you need to fix it for me at no cost because that's basic customer service!"
In my case (and for many other UA travelers) united made mistakes AND refused to own to them in cases prior to this 4 mile fare. So please stop with these silly characterizations.
Old Jul 17, 12, 6:57 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
my charge was pending and is now posted. not sure this means anything, but couldn't be bad.
Old Jul 17, 12, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by murphyUA View Post
Does it ever say the airline cannot cancel a ticket? (this is a serious question).
It says they cannot later charge more for a confirmed itinerary. So, in a STRICTLY technical sense, they could cancel, as long as you could rebook at the same price or lower on the exact same trip.
Old Jul 17, 12, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
then UA gets DOT penalties and a class action at the same time. It's as simple as that.
If it is determined that there was wrongdoing on their part.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:01 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I just hope the people that got this deal and now have this holier then thou attitude have a nice trip. When they get back they no longer have the right to consider themselves "some of Uniteds best customers" nor should they ever open their mouths again and complain how the airline is treating them. If I was United I would let everyone who got this mistake fare go on their trips and then close down each ones account and rip any status away. The whole purpose of these programs is to reward loyalty. The whole purpose of Elite levels is to reward UA's best customers. None of these people fall under the category of "best customers" if the airline is forced to take a bath on an "obvious mistake" that some people exploited
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:01 pm

Programs: US CP, Delta DM, AA EXP 2 MM, Emerald Executive, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
I have absolutely no skin in this game, but I am curious about the whole "mistake" fare angle. In years past, this was pretty cut and dry - $5 airfares were clearly an error. These days, though, with flash sales and twitter deals and whatever, there are extreme low prices available for limited periods; I know US had some insane twitter deals a year or two ago that were legitimate. My question / point is, how can UA or anyone these days prove that a fare was an honest mistake and not a flash sale that got out of hand?

Switching gears, I think the fact that some people have already travelled on these fares makes it harder for UA to regain control of the situation.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by apk123 View Post
In my case (and for many other UA travelers) united made mistakes AND refused to own to them in cases prior to this 4 mile fare. So please stop with these silly characterizations.
Ah, the infamous tu quoque fallacy! "Since you did it to me, I have a right to do it back to you!"
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
It says they cannot later charge more for a confirmed itinerary. So, in a STRICTLY technical sense, they could cancel, as long as you could rebook at the same price or lower on the exact same trip.
Well once they cancel, there would no longer be a confirmed itinerary, meaning they should be able to charge whatever they want.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:04 pm

Location: SEA/PDX/NRT/SIN almost every month. I love my sanctuary at Sentosa Cove
Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by fastair View Post
Bingo! And the DoT has fined just about every airline for at one time or another, failing to disclose the total price including all taxes/fees. Here, UA did, but totaled it up wrong. The DoT can't have it both ways by defending the total+breakdown and then saying that those figures don't count. If they count enough to obtain a fine, they are important and possibly what any decision will be based partially on.
Shouldn't there be any checks before a ticket is issued?
I assume that would be a basic requirement.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by murphyUA View Post
If it is determined that there was wrongdoing on their part.
The moment the DoT said in a national newspaper that DoT rules applied to award tickets, everyone knew wrongdoing would be found if these tickets are canceled. To me it was already obvious anyway, but when you come out and say it to USA Today, well, DoT is interpreting these regs the same way I did, and that ain't good for UA.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:06 pm

Ah, the infamous tu quoque fallacy! "Since you did it to me, I have a right to do it back to you!"
I did not try to refute your LOGIC but your implied high moral stand.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
I just hope the people that got this deal and now have this holier then thou attitude have a nice trip. When they get back they no longer have the right to consider themselves "some of Uniteds best customers" nor should they ever open their mouths again and complain how the airline is treating them. If I was United I would let everyone who got this mistake fare go on their trips and then close down each ones account and rip any status away. The whole purpose of these programs is to reward loyalty. The whole purpose of Elite levels is to reward UA's best customers. None of these people fall under the category of "best customers" if the airline is forced to take a bath on an "obvious mistake" that some people exploited
+1

The big picture is if these are honored, and United takes the revenue hit that others have so nicely put together, that in the end, the consumers will pay for it. Whether it's more devaluation, higher prices, more fees, etc. All of us will pay, one way or another, big or small, for this error if the tickets are valid.

Originally Posted by apk123 View Post
I did not try to refute your LOGIC but your implied high moral stand.
Not so much a high moral stand as a character and personality observation.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 12 at 7:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
No, it's not. The price/solicitation rule in 399.84 is clear, the mistake rule in 399.88 is clear. Common law contract defenses involving mistake do not apply here. No class action happens until the tickets are voided, then UA gets DOT penalties and a class action at the same time. It's as simple as that.
Maybe it is clear to you, but my guess would be that the judge/jury would view 70000 (or whatever) RDMs + $399.84 differently from 4 RDMs + $399.88. And my guess is that mistake defense does apply here. And my guess is that if someone in IT screwed up and entered a wrong amount and pax booked the award online and no other facts, UACO likely wins. If pax called and UACO human agent looked up the itin and mileage and prices and processed the award anyway, pax likely wins.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:12 pm

Not so much a high moral stand as a character and personality observation.
Alright, I personally have no problem letting someone eat their own medicine, but others here such as you disagree which is fine
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Well, really the whole point of a loyalty program is to make more money

Search this Thread
Search Engine: