Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by murphyUA
In what world is 70,000 + $30 equal to 4 + $30? It really doesn't matter what "you" agreed to. Two prices were presented, you chose the one that you liked better.
So you are saying that airlines can decide to display numbers that not sum and then charge the sum of the numbers rather than the bottom line price quoted? The Dot has put a lot of emphasis on the total price rather than the different components.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I just have to say again: UNITED chose this IT system. UNITED implemented it.

It IS their salesman. Their salesman of choice.

If a human salesman sold you something for a price, even by mistake, it is yours to keep and the salesman is the one in trouble.

I utterly fail to see a difference here. I suspect the DoT will feel the exact same way.

And, by the way, this is why IT management and risk consultants always advise against being penny wise but pound foolish.

Yet another textbook case the new UNITED is providing for the next generation of management students. @:-)

Right. Similarly, united issues mileage plus miles. And united determines the value of those miles. United could say that you only earn one mile after flying five round trips to Asia, and four earned miles gets you a free roundtrip. It would be a significant appreciation of the value of what we know as a mileage plus mile, but as the issuer of this currency united can do it surely as it could devalue the mileage plus mile.

United goofed, it's time to face facts and seek a solution. Managememt 101.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:38 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Wink

Originally Posted by apk123
So you are saying that airlines can decide to display numbers that not sum and then charge the sum of the numbers rather than the bottom line price quoted? The Dot has put a lot of emphasis on the total price rather than the different components.
Bingo! And the DoT has fined just about every airline for at one time or another, failing to disclose the total price including all taxes/fees. Here, UA did, but totaled it up wrong. The DoT can't have it both ways by defending the total+breakdown and then saying that those figures don't count. If they count enough to obtain a fine, they are important and possibly what any decision will be based partially on.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:38 pm

This was not a mistake fare...there was no fat finger that omitted a zero. The correct price was clearly presented along with a math error.
The total price was 4 miles. The itemized list had an item worth 120,000 miles. Maybe united forgot to display the mileage discount item in their list? A list is a list and it's fine but total price is what's important. There are no "two" prices, there is a list and there is the total price.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
If UA had a history of these types of antics, obviously something would need to be done. This doesn't seem to be the case.

People love laws and regulations until the the laws and regulations aren't in their favor. I really don't get how people can feel so entitled to something they didn't know was going to "exist" 3 days ago. People really need to move on and stop losing sleep.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:39 pm

In what world is 70,000 + $30 equal to 4 + $30? It really doesn't matter what "you" agreed to. Two prices were presented, you chose the one that you liked better.

This was not a mistake fare...there was no fat finger that omitted a zero. The correct price was clearly presented along with a math error.

Just read the regulations. We all know you'll never admit you're wrong, but if you actually read the rules and the DoT FAQ, you'll probably give up like the rest of the "no way in hell" crowd did several hours ago.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:41 pm

The total price was 4 miles. The itemized list had an item worth 120,000 miles. Maybe united forgot to display the mileage discount item in their list? A list is a list and it's fine but total price is what's important. There are no "two" prices, there is a list and there is the total price.
There was clearly two prices. There was the correct one, and a ridiculous one. You gambled and hoped the ridiculous one was going to stick.

As of now, it didn't, and you won't be going to Hong Kong. If you want to pursue the matter further, I really wish you the best of luck.

Originally Posted by davidbridgman
Just read the regulations. We all know you'll never admit you're wrong, but if you actually read the rules and the DoT FAQ, you'll probably give up like the rest of the "no way in hell" crowd did several hours ago.
Like I said to the other poster, if you feel the need to use your own resources to pursue the matter further, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 2012 at 7:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
There was clearly two prices. There was the correct one, and a ridiculous one. You gambled and hoped the ridiculous one was going to stick.

As of now, it didn't, and you won't be going to Hong Kong. If you want to pursue the matter further, I really wish you the best of luck.
Well technically speaking, as on now he is going UNTIL United actually calls him and cancels his ticket, which is something the DOT might stop, which we will just have to wait out, but technically he is going.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:46 pm

LOL It's against DoT rules to charge the consumer ANY amount higher than the LOWEST quoted fare on the screen. Period. Then add the clarification of the mistake rule, well, I'll give you credit for being stubborn.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Guys, guys, you should chill. This would be the question for lawyers and judges - whether UACO should be able to wiggle out of the contracts made by mistake in their IT dept. There are good arguments on both sides, but my guess is that in most cases those contracts are either void or voidable. The case is much less stronger for UA in cases where pax called and UA agents manually processed the awards - it is much more difficult to claim a programming error in this case, since UA was on notice and had an opportunity to correct the mistake then and there. By the way, this is exactly why participating in a class action suit may be a bad idea for some people - because actual human involvement is going to be important in whether a plaintiff wins or loses.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chucksterace
Well technically speaking, as on now he is going UNTIL United actually calls him and cancels his ticket, which is something the DOT might stop, which we will just have to wait out, but technically he is going.
True. In any case, should be interesting to watch (on the sidelines )
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
I guarantee you the same folks who are going after this and demanding they get their trips to HKG for 4 miles are the same ones who would raise hell if they made a mistake and a company stuck to the "rules" and wouldn't give them a refund or allow a change.

"You make a mistake, tough luck, I get the benefit! I make a mistake, hey can't you see I made a mistake and you need to fix it for me at no cost because that's basic customer service!"
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:48 pm

There was clearly two prices. There was the correct one, and a ridiculous one.
You can say whatever you want but the DoT clearly holds that the full fare is what counts. You MAY display a breakdown of the taxes etc. but this is "just for fun". there is no such thing as "two prices". See page 22 here:

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
I applaud the passion posted herein and wish I'd gotten tix just to see how this plays out.

My 1st reaction was - "Yeah, you gambled, you lost, no big deal." However, UA's expecting customers to play nice and do the right thing when they rarely do.

I doubt much will come of this but I can appreciate wanting to capitalize on a mistake made by a company that's made many recently. Especially when it comes to valuing customers.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S

You know you will never be able perfect your theory, don't you?
Let's say... No one saw the correct amount showed while booking. How do UA proof it is wrong? UA will never have a screenshot of my computer at the moment I click the submit button. I'm not saying I will lie. The point is which price went through and get ticketed?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reason: removed overly-personalized and uncivil content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.