Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 17, 12, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by bnarayan1511 View Post
Hehehe - look what a simple typo can unveil...
http://www.untied.com/

PS - This has possibly been posted here before but I thought that with all the negative sentiment against UA, now would be a good time to remember this genius site
Priceless!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
well, considering miles can be purchased directly from airline companies, which creating another big gray area.
Well, the government bodies dont consider miles have value, or at least unable to determine its value, hence we dont have to report miles earned from all sources as part of our income and subject them to the tax liability calculation!

You cannot have it both ways.

Programs: DL GM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool View Post
No wordsmithing required. A plain English reading of this DOT spokesman's statement is that the DOT regulations apply to award tickets.

OK, all FT e-lawyers who missed out on the deal, please jump on this and explain why United is right.
Ah yes, the DOT's spokesperson's off-hand statement is the definitive and final legal interpretation. It's right in Article I of the Constitution "An agency's press secretary shall have the sole and authoritative right to interpret and enforce regulations."
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:06 pm

PS - This has possibly been posted here before but I thought that with all the negative sentiment against UA, now would be a good time to remember this genius site
Awesome. I laughed.

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Priceless!
Made my day!
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Last month:

"It's a penalty."

"No, it's a tax."

This month:

"It's an award."

"No, it's a ticket."
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by duc1986d View Post
Could someone put in a standard form for filing complaint with DOT?
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

It's a one-page form, literally no brainer to fill out. You can also attach documents such as a printout of the e-receipt.

However, as others have said, filing a DOT complaint before officially being contacted by United, and before United cancels tickets, is premature. The claim is not yet ripe, as our e-Lawyer friends would say.

IF United makes "the call" I would put in the comment field something simple such as United now wants more miles for this ticket, which is an increase in fare after ticketing, which is explicitly prohibited by the regulations.
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Can't they send out emails to the customers who have ticketed? After all, they all have email addresses on file.

A formal letter with essential the same information of what UA Insider posted here, with some embellishment of words, should serve a formal notification of the situation and the stance of the airline.

May be UA has already been in talk with DoT on what would be acceptable. Other than that, there is no reason to take this long, even with its IT issue today that brought the website down for 90 minutes.
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
The problem with that is unilateral cancellation with no notice is almost certainly a DOT violation in and of itself. It's the equivalent of telling the consumer they can't fly at the ticketed price and must pay more for the same exact ticket. This is expressly prohibited.

Understanding that people have their own interpretations of these regulations, they are clearly slanted toward the consumer and there is substantial risk that if UA unilaterally cancels they have committed three separate DOT violations PER TICKET. I am guessing they perceive the risk of leaving the tickets in limbo to be less than the risk of getting hammered with DOT violations and civil claims.
UA doesn't necessarily have to cancel the tickets immediately (I guess they might want to discuss the matter further with the DOT regulators) but they certainly have to provide timely notification that there MIGHT be a problem ("we don't plan to honor these tickets, but we'll get back to you as soon as we can with further details -- don't make any plans in the meantime"). Obviously, they have everyone's email who bought a ticket (I'm assuming nobody did this with a rez agent ). And if that list is too hard to pull up, they could blast mail it like they did with the mistake on that summer bonus mile promo. Heck, I'd put it on the website, too. Saying nothing is, legally, the stupidest thing they could do now. Prompt notification is really essential -- especially since, to my knowledge, CO/UA has never previously cancelled ticketed reservations because of a "mistake."
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend called and asked me what could the down side be from all of this, I told him Jeff & Comp wont get their Pay Dirt as they expected (bonuses) and thusly everyone will be stuck with Jeff for a few more yrs as CEO.
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S

wow this is no joke but a hazard,dude. This thing settled down in my web browser's url shorcuts I'm cleaning my browser's cache
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
well, considering miles can be purchased directly from airline companies, which creating another big gray area.
Indeed, plus folks who buy miles directly from the airline have to pay a 7.5% federal excise tax on the value of those miles. I just wonder what differentiates miles from, say, a gift card purchase? I know that the government has set out regulations for gift cards in recent years. How might those regulations might apply to airline miles?
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Talking

It's a one-page form, literally no brainer to fill out. You can also attach documents such as a printout of the e-receipt.

However, as others have said, filing a DOT complaint before officially being contacted by United, and before United cancels tickets, is premature. The claim is not yet ripe, as our e-Lawyer friends would say.

IF United makes "the call" I would put in the comment field something simple such as United now wants more miles for this ticket, which is an increase in fare after ticketing, which is explicitly prohibited by the regulations.
Perfect this is what I am looking for
United it is not that easy to get off hook
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:12 pm

ColPuck,
At least one member was bragging in the other thread about booking 10x 300k award tickets because it wasn't unreasonable for him to take his entire family of 5 in EasyPass Global First two times in the next year. That isn't 75 tickets, but 10x 300k isn't something UA is going to laugh about. He/She probably shouldn't have gloated about that one in my opinion.
Old Jul 17, 12, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

^

What is anyone going to file about? Unless something has happened that we haven't heard about, so far we know that people have flown this, it appears nobody has been denied boarding, and that other tickets including mine are intact. As ticketed Sat/Sun.

Filings can't be pre-emptive or anticipatory.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: