Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 16, 12, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
Someone on DansDealsForums took off and landed already.
He supposedly already has a boarding pass for the return.
lucky guy. although, personally, and i know this is blasphemy here, i like to travel to actual see other places, not to sit in a seat in the sky (however nice it may be) for several hours.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSYnola View Post
lucky guy. although, personally, and i know this is blasphemy here, i like to travel to actual see other places, not to sit in a seat in the sky (however nice it may be) for several hours.
Very lucky guy.
LH F on the way into HKG, with a seat and a bed.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b View Post
Frugal Travel Guy - Have you got confirmation that some people actually had eight miles deducted and then flew. I've seen a number of cases where no miles were deducted and cases where the standard balance was deducted but the receipt showed eight miles. The follow on question is if there are eight mile travelers out there, are they subsequently having the usual balance deducted/their accounts zeroed?
We don't know whether the airline can subsequently collect in some manner, as they technically own your MP account, so unless you're not willing to fly United ever again there's always a way (lawsuits not withstanding)!!!
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:35 pm

Any chance we can sticky the complaint form and links to DOT rules and FAQ so we can really spoon feed the violations to the DOT over and over again?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
But I already booked non-refundable hotels based on the reservation that was ticketed and confirmed by United. Now what?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
Lol. We can dream can't we....
"Map of dreams?"
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
We don't know whether the airline can subsequently collect in some manner, as they technically own your MP account, so unless you're not willing to fly United ever again there's always a way (lawsuits not withstanding)!!!
That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
I would simply like to welcome all the new posters to FlyerTalk.

Don't take no for an answer.

Power to the posters!!!! ^

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
I love being right but that doesn't mean i am not sorry for everyone who booked the deal. Sometimes you score, sometimes you dont. Better luck next time.
Right about what? Right that UA will try to cancel? OK, you win.

Right that nobody will fly? You are already wrong.

Right that nobody else will fly? You are probably wrong, and my guess is that it will take a while to determine.

Originally Posted by MSYnola View Post

I hear you. I have never flown just to fly. My 4 miles and $40 for a first class ticket to HKG would still have been far less comfortable to me than my free recliner and bed in my house. I would've made a trip out of my flight to HKG and probably picked up a cheap flight or 2 from HKG to other Asian cities, but flying just to fly doesn't make much sense to me.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:38 pm
Suspended

I love being right but that doesn't mean i am not sorry for everyone who booked the deal. Sometimes you score, sometimes you dont. Better luck next time.
You weren't and still aren't right, but seeing as you've been so wrong already you won't realize it now either. In other words, I didn't know DOT and courts have ruled United legal in cancelling confirmed/ticketed airplane seats unilaterally due to a mistake fare, oh wait, they didn't rule that and won't.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by RenHoek View Post
But I already booked non-refundable hotels based on the reservation that was ticketed and confirmed by United. Now what?
i imagine United would refund you on those non-refundable hotels just like the Korean Air Palau fiasco w/ incidentals (scuba certificate, hotels, and rentals) .
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:39 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, Plat AMB, SPG/MR Gold
Does anyone think that in this short timeframe that UA has consulted the DoT before making the announcement?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by RenHoek View Post
We know what UA is going to respond....

Call the hotel or car rental company and tell them:
Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
And if the roles had been reversed? How would UA respond to this for example:

Over the weekend, we discovered an error where we overpaid for a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We give you a choice, either to cancel this booking and refund the fare or to change to the fare we really wanted. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.
Originally Posted by patchan8984 View Post
Does anyone think that in this short timeframe that UA has consulted the DoT before making the announcement?
Amazing point/question!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 16, 12 at 9:23 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Do you really think there will be a "next time" if UA will be able to make a sample of making mistakes at no cost and I don't give a damn to customers?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: