Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 17, 12, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Originally Posted by as219 View Post

In any case, what's UA's rush at this point? They've already announced what they're going to do. Where it gets interesting is with people who are flying in the next couple of days...
Haven't some people already flown ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 12 at 2:23 pm Reason: fix html
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
I think there are a lot of people to call, and many aren't on FT. I'm sure we'll know here 3 nanoseconds after the first call is made.

In any case, what's UA's rush at this point? They've already announced what they're going to do. Where it gets interesting is with people who are flying in the next couple of days...
Given that we have no reports of calls...... I'd be pretty confident no calls have been made. That is noteworthy. I am in the camp that thinks UA is still sorting this out.

What's the rush? Well, they haven't given notice to the consumer yet. Posting on FT / MP does not constitute any sort of notice! So the clock is still running. It would seem to me that the DOT, a court, or even the media will be much more sympathetic to the consumer the longer UA sits on this and does nothing.

I'm still surprised they didn't just unilaterally (electronically) cancel tickets, like some OTA's did in the RGN deal. The fact that they didn't do that is telling.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs View Post
I agree with recent comments that it's interesting nobody has posted about receiving a call from United yet (over 16 hours after the Shannon announcement).

Either:

1. Nobody on FT following this thread has received a call yet, or
2. Nobody has posted about receiving a call because of some sort of NDA?!?
May be they have not start calling because they couldn't figure whose tickets were issued with the 4-mile total mileage yet! LOL
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs View Post
I agree with recent comments that it's interesting nobody has posted about receiving a call from United yet (over 16 hours after the Shannon announcement).

Either:

1. Nobody on FT following this thread has received a call yet, or
2. Nobody has posted about receiving a call because of some sort of NDA?!?
Exactly. They are developing strategy behind closed doors. Meantime, consumers work partially in the open and partially on private networks.

Note to FT: information pooling is a consumer's strongest asset in this situation. By PM or otherwise, if those who've already flown or receive preeemptive calls/offers from UA, they can ensure that their networks are aware of their situation. Everyone is well enough connected to other network nodes that most will be aware of what's happening.

Note to UA: during the ongoing gaming/revenue collateral simulations, it would be unwise to assume that it will be possible to work individually on solutions to one case without other customers being aware of the details. That assumption is typical of corporate legal in the pre-social media age. Here, such thinking is going to lead to some very bad outcomes.

Especially, it would be unwise to assume that those who have already flown are not known to consumers and that they would not be named as comparative cases in DoT submissions. Ensure that is figured into the benefit/cost of action paths.

I already pointed these facts out to airline management in the aftermath of the RGN event. It's better that we all know what the rules are.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:15 pm

Anyone wager to guess why "4" was the number the system spit out? Were "miles" and "meals" cross-coded?
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:16 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It was a mistake fare plain and simple. Nobody ever thought that it was real and, they turned out to be correct. DOT won't take any action, if anybody sues they will lose and this will be one of those blips.
Actually, the DOT has already stated, specifically, that "mistake fares" are to be honored.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Chucksterace View Post
does anyone else have the feeling united still doesn't know what to do, hence why nothing happened yet. If they would have cancelled them, they would have already done that in a mass cancellation or started calling but no one received any calls. I have the feeling that they are still going over their options and debating what to do and just sent out their other message a bit too earlier.
Believe it or not some of this time could be spent writing the code to the programs to make the changes. They will be spending time dumping files and seeing how deep changes must be made and time actually testing the program changes thoroughly this time. Even a relatively minor change could have far reaching consequences (see mistake fare of 6/15). There are many layers to this event. People who paid full fare and then made other reservations for 4 miles. People who made reservations that are still pending. Reservations made for 4 miles only. Other airlines are affected. We really don't know how many databases are affected. There are lots of permutations that have to be unraveled and this time without making another mistake. I doubt that they will make an announcement without having a plan to make changes to the reservations. Plus, if they are willing to play ball with people (which we don't know) those arrangements and changes must be in play as well. The last thing they will want to do is make an announcement as to what is going to happen and then make everyone wait while computer changes are investigated, planned, programmed and tested. My bet is that eventually an announcement will be made and the changes will be made immediately thereafter. Then everyone will have to fight to reinstate their reservations.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Given that we have no reports of calls...... I'd be pretty confident no calls have been made. That is noteworthy. I am in the camp that thinks UA is still sorting this out.

What's the rush? Well, they haven't given notice to the consumer yet. Posting on FT / MP does not constitute any sort of notice! So the clock is still running. It would seem to me that the DOT, a court, or even the media will be much more sympathetic to the consumer the longer UA sits on this and does nothing.

I'm still surprised they didn't just unilaterally (electronically) cancel tickets, like some OTA's did in the RGN deal. The fact that they didn't do that is telling.
This is a great point - we have now far exceeded 24 hours from ticketing for those who commented on drawing an equivalent to the 24-hour rule for customer-initiated cancellations.

Posting on an online forum can be considered a courtesy notification (for all we know, Shannon's team pushed to communicate to FT/MP earlier than some higher-ups wanted), but no official notice has been served to customers.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It was a mistake fare plain and simple. Nobody ever thought that it was real

Actually, when I asked my (somewhat silly) friend if she wanted to go to hong kong for $50, her first reaction was "is this some kind of a sale?"
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by balima View Post
The last thing they will want to do is make an announcement as to what is going to happen and then make everyone wait while computer changes are investigated, planned, programmed and tested.
Well, considering they did exactly that about 18 hours ago......

And since then UAL.com has crashed for over an hour.....

Dots. I will connect them. Or add my own.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by apk123 View Post
Actually, when I asked my (somewhat silly) friend if she wanted to go to hong kong for $50, her first reaction was "is this some kind of a sale?"
Was it advertised as a sale?
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:23 pm

Things I love about this thread:

1. eLawyers coming out in full force
2. age discrimination claims
3. people stating they've booked non-refundable hotels
4. the guy in the survey who booked 75 tickets
5. class action lawsuit threats
6. threat to take three million dollars in booking elsewhere
7. jokes about popcorn
8. DOT complaint suggestions
9. posts about how the phone call with the UA agent will go
10. the word "over entitled" being used left and right

and many more.

hope this thread lives long!
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:25 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
Things I love about this thread:

1. eLawyers coming out in full force
3. people stating they've booked non-refundable hotels
4. the guy in the survey who booked 75 tickets
5. class action lawsuit threats
6. threat to take three million dollars in booking elsewhere
7. jokes about popcorn
8. DOT complaint suggestions
9. posts about how the phone call with the UA agent will go
10. the word "over entitled" being used left and right

and many more.

hope this thread lives long!
love it ^
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
That was perhaps the craziest argument in this thread!

Somebody might as well complain that their internet connection was too slow, and thus it caused them to not get their purchase submitted in time.
Old Jul 17, 12, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Was it advertised as a sale?
No, does it matter?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: