Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
I guarantee upon returning, the UA website will either a) have removed the 4 mile itins, or B) corrected them to show the "updated" price on the receipts
Good thing I have my original receipt in about six different formats. Not saying I'll use them for anything, but it can't help UA's case in a DOT complaint to offer up altered receipts.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by nnn
I think the garage sale bargain can be distinguished. In that case, a human owner knowingly offers a cheap price and parts with the priceless item at that price. Here, on the other hand, I don't believe that any human at UA (aside from perhaps malicious employee(s)) intended to sell these tickets so cheaply. The tickets were sold by a machine, and humans discovered the pricing after the fact. It is not the same situation at all, IMHO.

(Note that I don't have a dog in this fight, either.)
But UA installed the automated ticketing system. UA had the option of having people check the validity of every ticket issued but they CHOSE not to. Shouldn't they be responsable for that choice?

I know I am responsable for my choices, why not UA?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Billiken
+1

Maybe this is the second phase of an attack by a disgruntaled IT person at UA:
Phase I: Offer awards to HKG for 4 miles
Phase II: Clear everyone's MP account

That's why never pi**ed off an IT administrator, I learned it the hard way in my office
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
Good thing I have my original receipt in about six different formats. Not saying I'll use them for anything, but it can't help UA's case in a DOT complaint to offer up altered receipts.
I would agree that falsifying a receipt would put this into a whole new category of issue. I will be comparing my screenshots before and after.

Brett
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by patchan8984
Exactly what I am doing, PP but will be 1K very soon.

I wonder though what would happen if they threaten an account closure. Does this automatically render all paid/other award tickets void as well?
No, your tickets will still be good. You will just lose all of your miles, your upgrade instruments, and your status.

This happened to a friend of mine, and they just flagged his account and name so that he could no longer earn miles when he flew UA, but he still completed all of the trips that he had already booked. It did really suck for him because his status went from 1K to nothing, so he wasn't eligible for UGs.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
No, your tickets will still be good. You will just lose all of your miles, your upgrade instruments, and your status.

This happened to a friend of mine, and they just flagged his account and name so that he would no longer earn miles when he flew UA, but he still completed all of the trips that he had already booked. It did really suck for him because his status went from 1K to nothing, so he wasn't eligible for UGs.
Care to share what has he done to inflict this treatment to himself?

Some serious gaming of the system?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth

This happened to a friend of mine, and they just flagged his account and name so that he would no longer earn miles when he flew UA, but he still completed all of the trips that he had already booked. It did really suck for him because his status went from 1K to nothing, so he wasn't eligible for UGs.
Mind if I ask what your friend did to deserve such a punishment?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AAExPlat

2) If I remember correctly, something to the tune of 60% of all those who got the deal learned of it from blogs. While I have no issue with folks booking this, I do have a problem with bloggers advertising it to huge crowds. For one thing, it has the potential to kill the deal for those who learned of it first, and can cause widespad economic damage to the airline. What is doubly pathetic is that the same folks who suck at the teets of the airlines and the industry as a whole are literally helping to ransack it. That act is morally objectionable in my opinion. There are some blogs I don't frequent for this very reason because they seem to not only help readers get the most out of legitimate offers and following them to maximize mileage earning, but in some cases, I believe they violate the spirit of the programs and I consider some of them to advocate very questionable behavior. I think in the long run, we would all be better off if certain bloggers stopped posting.
I tend to agree with you on this assessment. I know the bloggers are, in many cases, thinking that they are providing a 'service' in publishing mistakes like this but I think they shoot themselves and the rest of us in the foot by doing so. Most of them have subscription services for email notifications and if they want to let their reader base know of something, they could always do so in an email. I know for a fact that one blogger does this and I have received some important information that way.
The Delta deal from Pittsburgh is an example of this. Once it went mainstream last night and this morning, it was essentially dead within a couple of hours.
A close friend visited the US offices in Phoenix and was given a tour. They have three employees whose job it is to monitor FlyerTalk, milepoint, and Twitter simply to find out what is going on with the scuttlebutt. They do not respond, they only monitor. Do we not think that the other airlines and hotel businesses do not do the same?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I would've thought by now someone would've reported getting one of the phone calls with their options...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
I think the garage sale bargain can be distinguished. In that case, a human owner knowingly offers a cheap price and parts with the priceless item at that price. Here, on the other hand, I don't believe that any human at UA (aside from perhaps malicious employee(s)) intended to sell these tickets so cheaply. The tickets were sold by a machine, and humans discovered the pricing after the fact. It is not the same situation at all, IMHO.

(Note that I don't have a dog in this fight, either.)
I'm talking about granny selling what she thinks is a tchotchke and in actuality is a rare Hummel. So, a buyer knowing it is a rare Hummel buys it for $5. Granny would have never sold it for $5 if she knew she could sell it on eBay for $500. Is the buyer also morally bankrupt in this case? Or did the buyer just get a good deal?

Also, there are a profusion of auction sites. People buy products for pennies on the dollar. Same could be said for this deal. Ridiculous low price for a sought after commodity. Also, look at time share buying sites. Some condos going for $1. Also a ridiculously low price for what often goes for thousands of dollars.

Just because something is sold for way under what others may think of as a reasonable price, doesn't mean that the sale wasn't legitimate. Price to value ratio is not a test for legitimacy.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by n198ua
I would've thought by now someone would've reported getting one of the phone calls with their options...
Spock said it best "if I were human I would tell them to go to hell...if I were human."
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Wow, the whole site! During business hours! Must be serious.
Yes, it must be. This is costing UA many thousands of $$$ per minute in lost revenue.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by miffSC
I tend to agree with you on this assessment. I know the bloggers are, in many cases, thinking that they are providing a 'service' in publishing mistakes like this but I think they shoot themselves and the rest of us in the foot by doing so. Most of them have subscription services for email notifications and if they want to let their reader base know of something, they could always do so in an email. I know for a fact that one blogger does this and I have received some important information that way.
The Delta deal from Pittsburgh is an example of this. Once it went mainstream last night and this morning, it was essentially dead within a couple of hours.
A close friend visited the US offices in Phoenix and was given a tour. They have three employees whose job it is to monitor FlyerTalk, milepoint, and Twitter simply to find out what is going on with the scuttlebutt. They do not respond, they only monitor. Do we not think that the other airlines and hotel businesses do not do the same?
The problem is the Bloggers (or most) are looking to make big $$$ or at least be King of the Hill among the Bloggers. the only way to accomplish that is by having a very large membership = having to post in public these type of things otherwise no one will join up.

So they put their Potential $$$$ ahead of Everything else, otherwise once 1 Blogger posts it people will stop viewing the Blog and view the Blog that is posting the stuff

isnt that how the Dog killed many good finds, it would be 1 thing if they themsleves found it but all too often they are simply reposting what they saw or someone emailed them about
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Wow, the whole site! During business hours! Must be serious.
Maybe they're releasing the new site redesign to distract everyone from this weekend's IT fiasco
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RenHoek
Your analogy is flawed. The correct analogy is that the person who purchased the TV for a penny received a balance due invoice from Amazon for $799.99. That's what's happening here.
What is wrong with that if the correct price of the TV is indeed $800?

You are given the option to return the TV with no responsibility of payment, or you can keep the TV and pay the correct price.

It is a reasonable settlement that only those who insist to get something (in this case huge) for nothing would cry foul about violation of contract, Dot would stand up for our rights, blab blah blah.

Frankly, if any of you who actually owned and ran a business, would you still act like this way?

Further more, anyone who took advantage of such, would know better not to book any non-refundable along with it, not until the possibility of the outcome is more firmly established. In this case, anyone who has any brain would know the outcome that favors the flyers who have booked this, would be less than 5% if that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.