Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sky417
Huh, my account is showing that my balance is 0, status level is "member", and all account history is gone. So are all my reservations.

Is this happening only to those who made that HKG booking or to everyone?
Looks like everybody! I did not get "in" on the deal and that is what mine shows.

Must be the same crack programming team that came up the "deal" that are now scrambling to fix everything.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Looks like everybody! I did not get "in" on the deal and that is what mine shows.

Must be the same crack programming team that came up the "deal" that are now scrambling to fix everything.
What kind of messed up IT department do they have? Seriously..
Maybe it's some angry FTer hacked into their system.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
cannot log into UA and cannot see reservation on united.com or Mobile app

but on carrying airlines site everything is ok

any ideas if this is it?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sky417
Huh, my account is showing that my balance is 0, status level is "member", and all account history is gone. So are all my reservations.

Is this happening only to those who made that HKG booking or to everyone?
From what i am seeing and reading, its happening to people who didnt book hkg tix as well, i tried with multiple mileage numbers some yes and some not booked the tix and not working for all
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
even normal flight sear is not broken its .bomb looool

1. passengers stranded for 3 days
2. mileage tix for 4 miles
3. no more bookings accepted

lool on the verge of catastrophe for them
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
I cannot log in either and didn't have any of these 4mile HKG reservations
+1

Maybe this is the second phase of an attack by a disgruntaled IT person at UA:
Phase I: Offer awards to HKG for 4 miles
Phase II: Clear everyone's MP account

Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
There seem to be some who are demeaning those who took advantage of the deal for being morally corrupt. While I can see the thought process, I disagree for the most part. If I had been presented with the opportunity, I would have likely tried if for no other reason than out of sheer curiosity. At the end of the day, UA offered tickets at a certain "price" and the price was accepted by redeeming 4 miles/ticket plus taxes by some. Ticket numbers were issued. I think there is nothing immoral about getting in on this deal.
Really... Do you really think that a company is making an offer if before (the mileage chart) and during the transaction they show the correct mileage but only at checkout they charge you a substantially different amount, an amount that isn't even charged (nobody has been charged for 4 miles, people have been charged the correct amount or nothing at all).

Clearly a pricing mistake and not a legitimate offer.....

So people obviously knew something was wrong, and that's where the morality lies.... Nothing really wrong with trying to take advantage of an offer like this, but don't try to justify the reasoning.

But in my opinion the real lack of any morals comes when people object to UA not honoring such a mistake. Even if DOT should prove them right it would still be a very questionable decision.

But we all know that is also something that happens every day.....and normally the customer is at the losing end.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Not in on this but I just ordered an 18 wheeler of popcorn for the show.

Still cant believe the fools who went out and booked non-refundable reses for items in connection with this and now feel UA should Refund them if they dont let them go for 4 miles
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I logged in earlier today and it was showing some of the changes that were on the preview site but on the producton site. I was not logged into teh site at all when i saw teh message

It now says

We are currently updating our website and reservations systems. This will temporarily affect our ability to serve you online and over the phone.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:12 am
Suspended

what you get when you go to United.com

We are currently updating our website and reservations systems. This will temporarily affect our ability to serve you online and over the phone.
Get the latest update ›
Deutsch Espańol Français 한국의 日本語 简体中文 繁體中文
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:15 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by balima
Second, a point to ponder by all. People go to garage sales, swap meets etc. in order to find a bargain. Many in the know will cruise looking for original paintings and other collector's items priced far under their real worth in order to make money. So lets say you find a rare piece of art priced at a garage sale price. Do you purchase the painting smiling all the way, or do you educate the seller and tell them they have a priceless piece of art? Most people haggle to lower prices on goods that are already cheap. So why try to $crew the garage sale person but let the big multi billion dollar corp slide?
I think the garage sale bargain can be distinguished. In that case, a human owner knowingly offers a cheap price and parts with the priceless item at that price. Here, on the other hand, I don't believe that any human at UA (aside from perhaps malicious employee(s)) intended to sell these tickets so cheaply. The tickets were sold by a machine, and humans discovered the pricing after the fact. It is not the same situation at all, IMHO.

(Note that I don't have a dog in this fight, either.)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Wow, the whole site! During business hours! Must be serious.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Let's say somebody found a deal on Amazon for a nice flat screen TV for $800. When you put it in the cart, it became a penny. Somebody bought it, got it shipped, and then posted in on slickdeals. Unsurprisingly, thousands of people then placed their orders for penny TVs. Also, not surprisingly, Amazon refuses to ship these TVs and plans to cancel the orders.
Actually, Amazon would have to ship those TV's, then in a couple days or more, lawyer up and demand additional cash or they'd blow up the tv remotely.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:20 am

I guarantee upon returning, the UA website will either a) have removed the 4 mile itins, or B) corrected them to show the "updated" price on the receipts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Heck of a time to move over to a new website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.