FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1367227-uas-official-response-hkg-ticketing-error-redeem-correct-amount-redeposit.html)

newballs Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 18943095)
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

This is the post I dreaded.

jfkeze Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 18943095)
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for posting.

I just wanted to share with everyone the official DoT complaint form. Right now, there are really two options:
A) Solve this amicably. Which by your post does not seem to be to the case. or
B) File a lovely DoT complaint.

I have my PDF form showing an issued ticket number and value of miles deducted from my account. I also have my DoT letter ready to go.

For First time rodeo riders:

Here's the DoT link:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Some important areas:

Description of Problem/Inquiry/Comment*:
Here is where you can add all the info as purchased a mileage ticket, got a ticket number, and the confirmation showing the miles deducted.
I highly suggest attaching a PDF copy of the United.com receipt.

UA Insider, I expected a more professional response, since you had 24 hours to talk this over with lawyers. If you really want to unilaterally cancel, EVEN after people have flown on this deal, you pretty much set it up for a Class Action, but I won't go so far YET... I'm more than willing to take my chances with the DoT. :D

jammanxc Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy (Post 18943204)
I appreciate your coming forward with your decision in a somewhat timely manner. Unfortunately others have already travelled for the receipted amount of 8 miles and it would be discriminatory to allow them to travel at that rate and not me. I am a senior citizen and couldn't make arrangements that quickly to travel yesterday.

I am in hopes you will change your mind and make an offer to those that are being shortchanged and could not travel yesterday. Compromise usually provides a much better outcome than having this dragged through the DOT and the press, particularly based on other recent UA issues that did not show UA in a favorable light with consumers.

way to go Rick! Grab Frugal Travel Lawyer and lets fight this!!!

cdegt Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm

"to obtain" was used, strangely.
I think I redeemed or purchased my ticket, didn't I?:confused:

luv2ctheworld Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Well, can't say I'm surprised...
For "error" fares, they should have a 24 hour rule, like what consumers have when buying a ticket. If you think you made a mistake, cancel in 24 hrs or else you're stuck with it. Same can apply to the airlines: catch and fix the tickets issued in 24 hrs or else they're stuck with it.

Yammer Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm

***temp***

Originally Posted by jfkeze (Post 18943223)
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for posting.

I just wanted to share with everyone the official DoT complaint form. Right now, there are really two options:
A) Solve this amicably. Which by your post does not seem to be to the case. or
B) File a lovely DoT complaint.

I have my PDF form showing an issued ticket number and value of miles deducted from my account. I also have my DoT letter ready to go.

For First time rodeo riders:

Here's the DoT link:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

Some important areas:

Description of Problem/Inquiry/Comment*:
Here is where you can add all the info as purchased a mileage ticket, got a ticket number, and the confirmation showing the miles deducted.
I highly suggest attaching a PDF copy of the United.com receipt.

UA Insider, I expected a more professional response, since you had 24 hours to talk this over with lawyers. If you really want to unilaterally cancel, EVEN after people have flown on this deal, you pretty much set it up for a Class Action, but I won't go so far YET... I'm more than willing to take my chances with the DoT. :D

Why does everyone want a class action lawsuit that just makes a couple lawyers rich? Sue them individually and get much more.

davidbridgman Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by jammanxc (Post 18943201)
anyone up for a class action lawsuit?

Somebody will be, it's practically a slam dunk with any violation of DOT rules automatically being an unfair and deceptive act. I'll chat up some of the larger plaintiff's firms if nobody jumps on it. No real facts in issue either.

JC1120 Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm

And now the angry ones come out of the woodwork saying they deserve this or deserve that, trying to make up for real or perceived slights from the merger :rolleyes:.

Come on people, we all know this was a mistake. Have some decency.

MSYnola Jul 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 18943190)
Did anyone actually make off the ground today? If so I would love a trip report or a post number to go back and read.
Thanks

pretty sure someone on one of the blogs claimed to have taken off yesterday.

Cohall Jul 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I appreciate your coming forward with your decision in a somewhat timely manner. Unfortunately others have already travelled for the receipted amount of 8 miles and it would be discriminatory to allow them to travel at that rate and not me. I am a senior citizen and couldn't make arrangements that quickly to travel yesterday.

I am in hopes you will change your mind and make an offer to those that are being shortchanged and could not travel yesterday. Compromise usually provides a much better outcome than having this dragged through the DOT and the press, particularly based on other recent UA issues that did not show UA in a favorable light with consumers.

Please:rolleyes: Using the threat of discrimination is pathetic and classless. Especially from you.

This display from FTers is truly turning sad.

jfkeze Jul 16, 2012 7:31 pm

ok, guys/gals... I'm all in tonight... I've played the DoT game before and even sued airlines in small claims court. Seriously, I want to solve this amicabilly, but I've got my Popcorn and a cold beer ready.

This is going down in the history books, either good or bad. We are testing DoT regulations to the max on this discriminatory unilateral action from UA.

Passengers have travelled for 8 miles, I will not be discriminated against! :mad::mad::D:D:D

BryanIAH Jul 16, 2012 7:32 pm

DOT website crashes in 5...4...3...2...1...

Yosef Jul 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSYnola (Post 18943245)
pretty sure someone on one of the blogs claimed to have taken off yesterday.

Someone on DansDealsForums took off and landed already.
He supposedly already has a boarding pass for the return.

Boraxo Jul 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I love being right but that doesn't mean i am not sorry for everyone who booked the deal. Sometimes you score, sometimes you dont. Better luck next time.

alex_b Jul 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Unfortunately others have already travelled for the receipted amount of 8 miles

Frugal Travel Guy - Have you got confirmation that some people actually had eight miles deducted and then flew. I've seen a number of cases where no miles were deducted and cases where the standard balance was deducted but the receipt showed eight miles. The follow on question is if there are eight mile travelers out there, are they subsequently having the usual balance deducted/their accounts zeroed?