Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spring101
DoT told me and many others that they will let us know personally when a decision is made. So while they may have United respond to the complaints they will also inform many of the people that filed a complaint that a decision has been made
I wonder if at the end of the day UA is compelled to give some kind of compensation whether it would only go to those who complained as opposed to everyone who bought tickets...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by as219
I wonder if at the end of the day UA is compelled to give some kind of compensation whether it would only go to those who complained as opposed to everyone who bought tickets...
The money goes to the DOT. Sometimes they let the airlines use part of the money to fix their own systems/procedures; I recall a case where Delta got fined for some wheelchair related issue and the DOT let Delta spend half the fine on improving the service.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
The money goes to the DOT. Sometimes they let the airlines use part of the money to fix their own systems/procedures; I recall a case where Delta got fined for some wheelchair related issue and the DOT let Delta spend half the fine on improving the service.
That's if there's a fine... What I meant is that if UA settles with the DoT, might that settlement not involve something to the affected customers?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by as219
That's if there's a fine... What I meant is that if UA settles with the DoT, might that settlement not involve something to the affected customers?
The way it works is the DOT sends a letter to UA putting them on notice that the DOT is taking an "enforcement action."

UA at that point has three options:

1)fight the action in the DOT administrative courts.

2)give in to whatever the demand is in the letter.

or

3)work with the DOT and come up with a "negotiated resolution."

9,999 times out 10,000 airlines select option 3. As pointed out above, the negotiated resolution can contain really anything. Based on this situation, UA MIGHT have to pay a fine, invest money in technology, and MAYBE honor some if any tickets.

Now I worked in the regional counsel's for the FAA. I can tell you that decision regarding this will be made in DC, and being that it is an election year....who knows.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by colpuck

Now I worked in the regional counsel's for the FAA. I can tell you that decision regarding this will be made in DC, and being that it is an election year....who knows.
Yes I am sure you are right - this is the most important issue for all of those potential Obama voters out there who are incensed with UA. No doubt this complaint is at the very top of DOTs list
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes I am sure you are right - this is the most important issue for all of those potential Obama voters out there who are incensed with UA. No doubt this complaint is at the very top of DOTs list
I don't think this ranks in the top 50 things the DOT is worried about.

This is not a safety issue. This is not a transportation issue.

It is a computer glitch that affected a very small number of people.

I am not belittling the complaint, but more people were affected by American Airlines 40% late departures/arrivals last weekend.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:56 pm

DOT should fine UA $150,000 per ticket sold, but in fact charge them only $4 per ticket due to a typo in the notice of enforcement action.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by palefire
DOT should fine UA $150,000 per ticket sold, but in fact charge them only $4 per ticket due to a typo in the notice of enforcement action.
Perfect!!!^
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
That would be so perfect . The DOT can write that in their letter to everyone that complained. What could they say then
Old Sep 22, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Beautiful! I love it!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:04 pm

Given there have been no updates on this thread in the past few weeks, I am inclined to think....

United 1, Customers 0.

Final score?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Given there have been no updates on this thread in the past few weeks, I am inclined to think....

United 1, Customers 0.

Final score?
I think that is the final score
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:33 pm

Or perhaps United decided to honor all the tickets but made the customers sign non-disclosure agreements...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
Or perhaps United decided to honor all the tickets but made the customers sign non-disclosure agreements...
+1

Well as Chief Justice of the Supreme Co... ohh I almost spilled it again!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by harry0233
I think that is the final score
The wheels of justice move slow.

The final score will probably be something like 5000-15.

Still a very good outcome for UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.