Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by talljames
Received from Mr Taday this morning in response to an email yesterday:

Mr. talljames:

There is nothing new to report. We will notify you once the DOT makes its decision.
Interesting- in contrary to those naysayer insider experts claiming DOT has long done so.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelkid
Interesting- in contrary to those naysayer insider experts claiming DOT has long done so.
Can you please post what it is exactly that you are smoking or drinking so that I can stay far away from it. Its been over 2 months and if the DOT was going to do anything be rest assured they would have. They dont need 2 months or more to work thru it
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by talljames
We will notify you once the DOT makes its decision.
Originally Posted by craz
Can you please post what it is exactly that you are smoking or drinking so that I can stay far away from it. Its been over 2 months and if the DOT was going to do anything be rest assured they would have. They dont need 2 months or more to work thru it
I took something to clear up my mind, which made the quoted statement from DOT crystal clear. Feel free to stay away from it, although you seem to need it

Bureacracy works slower than you believe. UA has done their game theory and pro et contra. Based on what DOT may decide, they picked what they estimated would give the best total outcome.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
What about "We will notify you once the DOT makes its decision" says to you if they were going to do or say something, they would have already done so?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by as219
What about "We will notify you once the DOT makes its decision" says to you if they were going to do or say something, they would have already done so?
Give him a break- I sent him some of my mind clearing stuff
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:40 am

What happened? This thread was entertaining but has now been dormant. Still waiting for something from the DOT?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
What happened? This thread was entertaining but has now been dormant. Still waiting for something from the DOT?
Probably a slew of NDA's were signed in exchange for UA honoring the tickets
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by work2fly
Probably a slew of NDA's were signed in exchange for UA honoring the tickets
I think like most people I gave up on this. This was a great opportunity to represent to United force them to give back some of what they took. But, alas no.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:57 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
I think "once the DOT makes its decision" really means "once the DOT comes up with a way to justify the decision they already made".

Rather than require UA to re-instate the tickets, the DOT could just fine UA some dollar amount and close the case.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Ari
I think "once the DOT makes its decision" really means "once the DOT comes up with a way to justify the decision they already made".

Rather than require UA to re-instate the tickets, the DOT could just fine UA some dollar amount and close the case.
Thats the only thing they are empowered to do. What has yet to be determined is whether they'll make the fine high enough to induce UA to reinstate them.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ari

DOT cannot require UA to re-instate the tickets. No authority to do so.

IMO, I think this is basically over. I am not sure there will even be a fine. I know nothing has been decided, but, as the weeks go on, I think this will just fade away.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 110pgl
DOT cannot require UA to re-instate the tickets. No authority to do so.

IMO, I think this is basically over. I am not sure there will even be a fine. I know nothing has been decided, but, as the weeks go on, I think this will just fade away.
It's already faded away. I guess there are still a few optimists out there. i have no idea what makes them optimistic about anything but to each his own

I'm still waiting to go watch my first big court case but haven't heard of any . Guess the supreme courts busy.

Originally Posted by travelkid
What's even more interesting is the DOT does not report back to the one filing a complaint. They make the airline do it

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by colpuck
This was a great opportunity to represent to United force them to give back some of what they took. But, alas no.
Huh? Can you give a hypothetical example to clarify what you mean?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Have you actually read that McDonald's case? There is much more to it than most people think. It could have been settled for a few thousand in Doctors bills, and should have been settled. McDonald's was on notice from prior lawsuits for serving what amounted to a dangerous product, and the women in question suffered second degree burns. The only stupid thing about this case is the way McDonald's handled it.
Yes, I read it. D-**** old lady puts a cup of hot coffee between her legs in a moving vehicle. If you are that stupid you deserve to get burned. No $$. End of story. I can't think of anything dumber than claiming the product was dangerous. Hello!!! Coffee is supposed to be hot. Just like knives are supposed to be sharp. That's the way people want it. You don't sell dull knives (though you do sell cold coffee, its called frappucino )

Of course there were morons who sued McDs, there are lots of grifters and hungry lawyers who will file against a deep pocket company with the notion of buying a lotto ticket.

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
The McDonalds case is quite complex, the lady was wearing sweat pants and the liquid was absorbed by the pants causing a lot of burns, but it was proven that McDonalds was serving coffee exceptionally hot in comparison to tradition temperature of coffee.
:
The biggest complaint that McDs received - was that their coffee got cold too quickly. Hence the temperature. I don't think it is reasonable to expect McDs to assume that an adult consumer (children don't drink coffee) will be so incredibly stupid as to put a cup of hot liquid between their legs in a moving vehicle. Not reasonable. They would basically have to give up making hot beverages.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I'm still waiting to go watch my first big court case but haven't heard of any . Guess the supreme courts busy.
Me too. I am waiting for the first person to report filing small claims and a trial date. Almost worth flying in for entertainment value.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr

What's even more interesting is the DOT does not report back to the one filing a complaint. They make the airline do it
DoT told me and many others that they will let us know personally when a decision is made. So while they may have United respond to the complaints they will also inform many of the people that filed a complaint that a decision has been made

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.