Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sbrower
We have about 244 pages here of comments (depending on your display mode). Lots of people made lots of predictions. But I would guess, based on the continued silence from official sources, that it it mostly over, especially from the perspective of UA.
I don't actually think the silence in itself means much, on the RGN flights as far as I can tell DOT never actually said anything publicly, people just suddenly started getting their tickets reinstated. So not sure we will ever get any public announcement on mistake fares, most of the arm twisting seems to go on in back rooms (not trying to suggest by this that it's not over, just suggesting non-response is not a good indicator IMO).

Last edited by burmans; Aug 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by burmans
..DOT never actually said anything publicly, people just suddenly started getting their tickets reinstated..
Because they booked on the phone, I guess.

The part of the legality I do not understand here: UA seems to honour those tickets because an agent did not see it as a mistake fare, right?

Why does that then in turn not make it universal also for those who booked online? If a trained agent does not have to recognize it as a mistake fare would that not mean that the average flyer also could mistake it for a promo?
By reinstating some tickets, UA certainly must have set a precedent ... or is the legal landscape in the US that different?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I'm a big believer in common sense. I am a big believer that people will try to take advantage of an obvious mistake. I am a big believer that such people will make a complete ... out of themselves to defend the undefendable. I am a big believer that these people will attempt to justify, distract, and manipulate in any way that they can. I am a big believer that FT is not full of "high value" flyers and is a bastion for manipulators and cheapskates. I am a big believer that UA/DL/and other majors have figured this out.
Believe whatever you wish; however, such beliefs are far removed from an accurate description of reality; rather such beliefs approximate a description of the ideological zealotry in the head(s) of the communicating believer(s) rather than anything else.

There is no evidence that most FTers are manipulators and cheapskates, but everyone is of course entitled to their beliefs, including beliefs in the divinity of the Great Giant Spaghetti Monster in the bowl.

There is a lot of evidence of FT being a bastion for corporate manipulators trying to squeeze out more money from the wallets of customers. It may take two to tango, but the lead in this game are the corporations manipulating retail customers as much as they can.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: DL DM
[Reply to since-deleted post edited by Moderator.]

There is a lot of evidence of FT being a bastion for corporate manipulators trying to squeeze out more money from the wallets of customers. It may take two to tango, but the lead in this game are the corporations manipulating retail customers as much as they can.

Oh...GU. Of course. Their $150 million airplanes, infrastructure, staff, insurance, facilities, and fuel are all just secondary. They shouldn't try to pay for that or make a profit. They owe you!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 13, 2012 at 9:24 am Reason: See above note.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Oh...GU. Of course. Their $150 million airplanes, infrastructure, staff, insurance, facilities, and fuel are all just secondary. They shouldn't try to pay for that or make a profit. They owe you!
Only you here have said the above, while I have said nothing of the sort. I made no such claim as you did above, but you are of course entitled to believe as you wish.

When an airline decides to automate, it automates things to duly pursue that which it finds to its own benefit. Some of that due pursuit of self-interest has costs that duly rise as automation's ability to adjust benefits for the airline are not divorced from the adjustment of costs for the airline.

This kind of situation is part and parcel of the benefits and costs of deliberate choices made by the airline (inclusive of its employees and its contractor-types).

Choices ought to not be divorced from consequences/responsibility, even if some are so inclined to give the industry's big boys repeated "get out of jail free" cards.

Some people just don't like their favorite(s) to be accountable. This thread includes example of such. Thank you.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
BUBBASHOW - As you can see, they have all pretty much dissaapeared. They know they lost & while I wish they would at least post what they plan to do; that they either are going to court or give up, I think we see that those of us that predicted the DOT would do nothing were correct. Sleep well knowing that common sense won this round
My guess is everyone has better things to do while we wait for the DOT than sit here and play patty cake with a bunch of people who judge others morals over the internet.

See below.

Oh, and would you like some coffee for that smug? I mean, mug.

Not a bit. Anyone that thinks this deal is legit should examine their own moral makeup. It is lunacy to argue anything different. I would answer the "sue them" crowd the same on almost any issue.
Get a grip pal. You just went high and mighty on someone who didn't even book a ticket and told them they had no soul. Not sure how you can defend that as a rational or objective addition to this discussion, but nice try. You can hold whatever beliefs about FT that your little heart desires, but don't just run around slinging insults and judging the morals of people you don't even know. Remember, this is the internetz. Maybe put that on a sticky note and attach it to your monitor for next time.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:15 am

United is a publicly traded company that primarily has obligations to it's employees, customers, and shareholders. Why screw two of these constituencies to placate the worst part of the third?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is no evidence that most FTers are manipulators and cheapskates
I think we're all a little manipulative (in a perfectly legal way), but definitely not cheap. I'm pretty sure most of us come out behind, all in all, when playing the miles game. A real cheapskate never leaves the house!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:22 am

Get a grip pal. You just went high and mighty on someone who didn't even book a ticket and told them they had no soul. Not sure how you can defend that as a rational or objective addition to this discussion, but nice try. You can hold whatever beliefs about FT that your little heart desires, but don't just run around slinging insults and judging the morals of people you don't even know. Remember, this is the internetz. Maybe put that on a sticky note and attach it to your monitor for next time.

Anybody that DID buy this and believed it was legitimate is either a) an idiot that shouldn't be allowed to navigate under their own power in society, or b) manipulative and trying to game the system. Period.

Those that defend the purchase are just as bad.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Those that defend the purchase are just as bad.
This is a very short sighted statment. I feel that allowing United to escape any liability is wrong. It's wrong because I'm scared of what happens on the next mistake fare and the one after that.

I'm scared because the precedent of allowing ANY airline to unilateraly cancel tickets is dangerous. Now, United is quietly honoring tickets that they said would be canceled. So, in addition to setting a precedent that guts consumer protections they are lying to their consumers.

By trying to get United to honor these tickets, I am doing the right thing.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
By trying to get United to honor these tickets, I am doing the right thing.
Keep telling yourself that.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Keep telling yourself that.
We have a moral obligation to see that these tickets are honored. If not what comes next?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
We have a moral obligation to see that these tickets are honored. If not what comes next?
Colpuck, don't feed him. Clearly he only deals in insults and name-calling. He has already made it apparent that he doesn't intend to bring anything new to the table, instead trying to rehash other jabs from the 200+ pages of this thread.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any quantifiable updates to the issue, or is everyone still waiting on the DOT and United to come back with a new proposal?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I'm a big believer in common sense. I am a big believer that people will try to take advantage of an obvious mistake. I am a big believer that such people will make a complete ... out of themselves to defend the undefendable. I am a big believer that these people will attempt to justify, distract, and manipulate in any way that they can. I am a big believer that FT is not full of "high value" flyers and is a bastion for manipulators and cheapskates. I am a big believer that UA/DL/and other majors have figured this out.

To hell with that. I missed the 4 mile island, but I want a free trip to Hong Kong. I for one will not sit around making excuses and try to defend my wants. I want. Desire is good enough for me. But I'm a bad person, not a cheapskate.

Anybody that DID buy this and believed it was legitimate is either a) an idiot that shouldn't be allowed to navigate under their own power in society, or b) manipulative and trying to game the system. Period.
There's my box! I'll go crawl into it now.

Damnit, I wish I'd been online for those few hours this was going down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.