Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:54 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
CBS New York News Maybe Reporting $200 voucher

Look at the bottom of the El Al piece by CBS New York

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rfare-bargain/

news to me?

reported by view from the wing
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by colpuck
No, UA has honored tickets for travel in 2013 These tickets tickets issued both over the phone and internet.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19086189-post3579.html

It's one thing to do it for short term travel or travel that has already started; however, here UA has ignored their own edict. Why, there has been nothing from explaining why some tickets got honored and some not.
Well, it doesn't mean they have honored the tickets because it is in the future.

It would be very bad though if they were never notified that they were cancelled and then denied boarding at a later date.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
Look at the bottom of the El Al piece by CBS New York

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rfare-bargain/

news to me?

reported by view from the wing
Interesting. All I got was an email telling me to pound sand. I'd be very happy with a $200 voucher.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:43 pm

I think CBS got their source/info wrong.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
here's a decent short piece on online pricing errors.
http://digital.law.washington.edu/ds...pdf?sequence=1
Great discussion of what we have been trying to explain to all the newly minted FT experts on contract law. See particularly the discussion about "unconscionable contracts" and recission based on "unilateral mistake," with particular emphasis on whether the customer knew or should have known that the price was a mistake (as was the case for everyone who "purchased" a United ticket for 4 miles).

I have yet to see anyone here claim they sincerely believed this was a real sale and not a pricing mistake.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Interesting. All I got was an email telling me to pound sand. I'd be very happy with a $200 voucher.
Many of us didn't even get an email.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Great discussion of what we have been trying to explain to all the newly minted FT experts on contract law. See particularly the discussion about "unconscionable contracts" and recission based on "unilateral mistake," with particular emphasis on whether the customer knew or should have known that the price was a mistake (as was the case for everyone who "purchased" a United ticket for 4 miles).

I have yet to see anyone here claim they sincerely believed this was a real sale and not a pricing mistake.
Of course this is generic and not specifically about flights where the DOT regulation applys and possibly override this argument.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:17 pm

And hot off the heels of the El Al announcement is an interesting story about a New Zealand car dealer who honored a price mistake by selling a BMW for $1.

Good to know that for some businesses, a contract is still a contract, I.e. a legally binding promise that can't be unilaterally cancelled due to inconvenience.

Link: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/deal...sold-1-5014115
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Well, it doesn't mean they have honored the tickets because it is in the future.

It would be very bad though if they were never notified that they were cancelled and then denied boarding at a later date.
Actually the person who booked through the phone has confirmed through high level UA sources that their ticket will be honored.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Actually the person who booked through the phone has confirmed through high level UA sources that their ticket will be honored.
So much for don't call the airline, right?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by craz
the big difference between the KE & LY and this with UA, is 1 Im assuming DoT told KE & LY if you dont honor the tkts youd be fined $xxxx-$xxxxx per tkt and if not paid then you wont be allowed to fly into or out of The US any longer, or ifyou do we will confiscate the plane sell it in order to pay off the fines.

I don't believe the DOT would treat El Al any differently then it would other airlines regarding fines, etc. but El Al knows regardless of what they do, pay or not, no US Govt agency would EVER ban them from flying into the US. The same goes for confiscating aircraft. Anyone who believe these things are even psbl have no concept of what LY means not only to Israelis, but most Jews as well. The elected or appointed official that try's to make that call would be looking for a new job. Not saying its right or wrong, just naive to think otherwise (I'm not speaking to you, Craz - just thought it was an interesting post.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cohall
Please Using the threat of discrimination is pathetic and classless. Especially from you.

This display from FTers is truly turning sad.
I'm not surprised to be honest.

Flyertalk has fast become a site for freeloaders rather than flyers.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm not surprised to be honest.

Flyertalk has fast become a site for freeloaders rather than flyers.
Actually. The UA thread (and to a lessor extent all the other American Carriers Threads) are here it seems mostly for free loaders and generally not the most desirable customers. But there are still some good areas for OAL's
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by as219
So much for don't call the airline, right?
If the status quo does not change, then yes. I will be calling in every mistake fare on UA from here on out that I chose to take part in.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
I don't question that this person told you this but I do doubt it was very far up the chain since the company had said it would not honor the tickets unless they had the correct mileage. If it isn't in writing I would be very skeptical about counting on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.