Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Another interesting thing about the El Al case - they already came up with a partial explanation - a third party contractor responsible for pricing. Now, do I want to know more? Yes. What explanation has been provided by UAL? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Does this mean I am changing sides and supporting the honoring of the free tickets? No. But do I think that UAL has been less honest that I feel is appropriate? Yes.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by sbrower
Another interesting thing about the El Al case - they already came up with a partial explanation - a third party contractor responsible for pricing. Now, do I want to know more? Yes. What explanation has been provided by UAL? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Does this mean I am changing sides and supporting the honoring of the free tickets? No. But do I think that UAL has been less honest that I feel is appropriate? Yes.
Don't forget United doubled down when they started honoring some tickets but not others.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
They will also allow people who would like a non-stop to change to a direct El AL flight for 75.00.

I guess even a small carrier can absorb a large mistake fare.
El Al announced it on facebook... hah.

But LY did a smart thing, they offered a carrot to both get additional revenue and prevent payout to other carriers.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy

But LY did a smart thing, they offered a carrot to both get additional revenue and prevent payout to other carriers.
I agree. It really surprised me that they would charge to get on the direct flight, but I guess if they think people way pay it, why not try.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower

the big difference between the KE & LY and this with UA, is 1 Im assuming DoT told KE & LY if you dont honor the tkts youd be fined $xxxx-$xxxxx per tkt and if not paid then you wont be allowed to fly into or out of The US any longer, or ifyou do we will confiscate the plane sell it in order to pay off the fines.

With UA,DoT it seems doesnt see HKG as the same as KE or LY, why I dont know but they have had the complaints before them long enough that if they wanted UA to honor it UA would have by now, or DoT would have reported the amount UA is being fined.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Am I the only one that sees a difference between a $400 fare for a Y tkt vs $0.08 fare for an F tkt?? I'm not even talking legally, just financially?

I agree though, this really makes UA look like its run by a bunch of SB's as LY prooved it does no harm to at least give an explanation what happened
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by colpuck
Don't forget United doubled down when they started honoring some tickets but not others.
I didn't forget. It is just totally irrelevant in my opinion.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Am I the only one that sees a difference between a $400 fare for a Y tkt vs $0.08 fare for an F tkt?? I'm not even talking legally, just financially?

I agree though, this really makes UA look like its run by a bunch of SB's as LY prooved it does no harm to at least give an explanation what happened
You're not (quite) comparing apples with apples though. The LY and KE fares of $400 (ish) included between $150-$300 of taxes (that I've seen reported on FT) and many of the KE fares were in premium cabins. Likewise the 4-mile fares also had $100-$300 in taxes.

So really the question is: Are you the only one to see a difference between a $10 (KE) - $200 base fare in Y or C and a $0.08 base fare in C or F.

Answer: Yes I see a difference, but it's not as large as you initially make out by comparing two All In mistake fares with the UA Base Fare only.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by entropy

Yep, here's the better way to handle it.

http://news.yahoo.com/el-al-honor-ti...192602106.html
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
The fact that UA chose to not strand a few people who had already started or were just about to start traveling seems irrelevant to me. If this was relevant then anytime UA makes an exception to provide extra customer service by bending some rule they have, they would be equally setting a precedent that everyone is always entitled to that exception. That seems pretty silly. All businesses will at times make exceptions to help a customer - I would not want to be in a system where doing so tied their hands. All that would do would guarantee you would never see an exception to any policy for any reason.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdx1M
The fact that UA chose to not strand a few people who had already started or were just about to start traveling seems irrelevant to me. If this was relevant then anytime UA makes an exception to provide extra customer service by bending some rule they have, they would be equally setting a precedent that everyone is always entitled to that exception. That seems pretty silly. All businesses will at times make exceptions to help a customer - I would not want to be in a system where doing so tied their hands. All that would do would guarantee you would never see an exception to any policy for any reason.
No, UA has honored tickets for travel in 2013 These tickets tickets issued both over the phone and internet.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19086189-post3579.html

It's one thing to do it for short term travel or travel that has already started; however, here UA has ignored their own edict. Why, there has been nothing from explaining why some tickets got honored and some not.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
UA Offers Voucher For HKG Fiasco

According to WCBS-TV in New York:

"Airline pricing mistakes are quite common. Last July, United mistakenly offered $40 flights to Hong Kong. It dealt with the problem by issuing $200 gift certificates to some customers. British Airways did something similar a few years ago to regain goodwill after price glitches annoyed customers."

Full article: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rfare-bargain/

News to me. Anyone get one of these?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
So are they going to offer those of us annoyed by the Map Your Nightmares fiasco a cert, too?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I brought FaceBook ipo at 38. That's a mistake and I want my money back...right

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
i never got a voucher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.