Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It is waste of time to provide legal analysis to this crowd. They are 100% certain that they are right, United is wrong and DOT and small claims court judges will be certain to compensate them for their professed reliance on the screen that showed "4 miles" (putting aside the fact that in most cases there are no actual or consequential damages". The legal concepts have been explained ad infinitum through both threads.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by colpuck

Also there is just something wrong with United claiming that their own negligence should absolve them from liability.
I don't think anybody believes UA should be absolved from liability. They should be held liable for any damage caused to its customers/passengers that bought these 4 mile ticket. The problem is there were no damages, no one lost anything, no one got hurt, no one was ripped off so what should they be liable for?

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It is waste of time to provide legal analysis to this crowd. They are 100% certain that they are right, United is wrong and DOT and small claims court judges will be certain to compensate them for their professed reliance on the screen that showed "4 miles" (putting aside the fact that in most cases there are no actual or consequential damages". The legal concepts have been explained ad infinitum through both threads.
3451 posts and you just figured this out . Al least you didn't give us an analogy

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I don't think anybody believes UA should be absolved from liability. They should be held liable for any damage caused to its customers/passengers that bought these 4 mile ticket. The problem is there were no damages, no one lost anything, no one got hurt, no one was ripped off so what should they be liable for?
*DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner...and DoT will see it the same way.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000
*DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* *DING* we have a winner...and DoT will see it the same way.
What about mental anguish? I'm suffering that just from following this thread.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by alex_b
Thanks for the well written explanation.

A question on this; I know that in certain jurisdictions (e.g. UK) there is a view that in un-negotiated consumer contracts, that presumptions of validity and notice are different due to the unequal powers of the two sides; this is drawn up in both UK and EU legislation. Therefore under English law the arguments in this thread along the lines of "it's in the CoC/MP rules that UA can do whatever they want, whenever they want with no liability at all" would hold little weight and such a one-sided contract could even be prejudicial to UA's ability to enforce such a contract.

I realise that this drama is playing out in the US, therefore my question to you is: do some/any/all jurisdictions in the US contain similar consumer protections, and in this case do you think that would change the position of the contractual position you state?
Yes, somewhat. I'm not as solid on the details of this in the US -- it falls outside of contracts and contract theory (my area of expertise) and runs into consumer protection, which varies widely from state-to-state. I do know that the protections here are weaker than in the UK or EU.

In contract law, the kinds of contracts where it applies are ones with grossly unfair provisions of the sort of a 1000% interest rate on late payment, and not on the you-should-have-read-this sort of informational provisions. The one-sided ability to cancel at any time is not, AFAIK, the kind of thing that would trigger oversight from a contract law standpoint. That kind of term does not fit any of the classic unfair bargain scenarios.

However, many US States have passed stronger consumer protection laws that specifically address things like this, and the Federal Government has DOT -- which actually muddies the waters. There are complicated things like supremacy of Federal Law and applicability of state law to an airline that I do not pretend to really know about -- and none of you should either, unless you have a law degree, are admitted to a state bar, and are aviation or consumer protection lawyers.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

3451 posts and you just figured this out . Al least you didn't give us an analogy
I tried the no damages quote what seems like thousands of posts before thinking reasonable people would realize that - but guess what - reason doesn't apply here - it is all emotion.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary

Contract damages as anyone with any experience in contracts is the benefit of the bargain. For those that had their tickets canceled, that is reinstatement of the tickets or replacement tickets on another airline.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
Originally Posted by andyh64000
What about mental anguish? I'm suffering that just from following this thread.
You may want to sue Flyertalk for that :-)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
United will pay for there mistake either in honoring the tickets or paying a nice fine.
Even if they claim there software had a problem they still broke that new law the Dot passed and this is the prefect test Case to show the airlines clean your .... up.
Knight investments had a software glitch they lost over four hundred million dollars and the Sec will not help them one bit.....
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Contract damages as anyone with any experience in contracts is the benefit of the bargain. For those that had their tickets canceled, that is reinstatement of the tickets or replacement tickets on another airline.
I was going to write something really extensive about how wrong this is, especially the second sentence, and then I thought I'd leave it at this:

Colpuck, I'll make you a wager. If you booked cancelled tickets, and these are the damages you are able to win in a court of law, I will pay you $500 and leave 50,000 United miles at your disposal.

If you are laughed out of court, you owe this entire thread an apology and an admission of how wrong you are.

If you accept the wager, you agree not to make any more statements about the law in this thread, unless they relate to the factual progress of or actual arguments made in court by you or on your behalf.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
UA made a mistake UA pays for the mistake . Be it honoring tickets or a fine .Why should they be treated any different ...

DING DING DING DING !!!!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:10 am

I may not be a lawyer but I would bet I have more experience with contracts then most people here. We write contracts every day in my office. Sometimes we make a mistake and have to eat it, sometimes we find another way out if a mistake has been made. But these contracts we draw up are cut & dry. Regardless of what anyone says here (with no law degree), there is NOTHING cut and dry about this situation.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by ldpeters
I was going to write something really extensive about how wrong this is, especially the second sentence, and then I thought I'd leave it at this:
Instead of explaining yourself, you go for a mocking statement. That's cool. Actually, in US law equity remedies are not generally issued. (IE specific performance) If someone were to sue (and win), the appropriate remedy would be the passenger would purchase a ticket through another airline and United would have to make up the difference in cost to the passenger. I only know that because I actually sued an airline over a dishonored ticket and won.

I may not be a lawyer but I would bet I have more experience with contracts then most people here. We write contracts every day in my office. Sometimes we make a mistake and have to eat it, sometimes we find another way out if a mistake has been made. But these contracts we draw up are cut & dry. Regardless of what anyone says here (with no law degree), there is NOTHING cut and dry about this situation.
Never mind the blatant miss-characterization of my posts and my position. Now, you've already publicly apologized, for being wrong, to me once. So, you really want to go for two?

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
I tried the no damages quote what seems like thousands of posts before thinking reasonable people would realize that - but guess what - reason doesn't apply here - it is all emotion.
Actually, I believe a magistrate explained the error in your damaged calculation. I guess if you want to call that "emotion," that's cool.

Last edited by colpuck; Aug 6, 2012 at 7:18 am
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:41 am

Never mind the blatant miss-characterization of my posts and my position. Now, you've already publicly apologized, for being wrong, to me once. So, you really want to go for two?

Yes, I apologized when I was wrong.(something most of us are a few times in our lives) I also stand by my statement above. I have not miss characterized anything. Your post clearly made the assumption that while I know nothing about contracts, you are an expert. I was just replying that I know quite a bit about contracts (not as much as a contract lawyer perhaps, which is why i pay one) just a disclaimer everyone here should use including you. (unless of course contract law is your specialty).

My post simply said there is NOTHING cut and dry about this 4 mile situation
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Normally there is a check like that because I have looked at multi leg international awards and it says "You do not have enough miles for this award". That is the point. This was a malfunction and a very obvious one. Apparently millions of awards have been issued over the years without this problem so it is kind of hard to claim they lack control over the ticketing process.
Not hard at all in this instance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.