Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by walkerci
Void my ticket, lose > $3 Million in revenue. It is really that simple.
Hahahahahahhahahahahahaha.....only in America....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I think everyone is missing the point. Airlines in general (and American carriers specifically) are just about the greediest business' around. They will fight tooth and nail even before giving a customer back $1 when they are entitled to it ( lost bag claims, hotel expenses, etc). Airlines break the law thousands of times a day and get away with it. Regardless of what is right and what is wrong, or legal , not legal, UA is going to do what it wants and let the chips fall where they may. Those of you telling the guy he should go to Hong Kong tomorrow are being irresponsible. I doubt UA will leave him stranded but am pretty sure they will deduct the correct miles, even if it brings his account to a negative. Those of you that got tickets for future travel are crazy to think UA will honor them. They will try to give the choice of deducting the full mileage or a refund "with fees waved" (I love that line. The balls they have for suggesting that they are doing you a favor by not honoring the tickets). For those of you that stand fast and refuse to accept UA's kind offer of a full refund of the 6 miles + fees and taxes, UA will probably offer some kind of apology with miles, or a reduced rate, etc. for those of us that don't have enough miles to cover the full cost, they may even allow accounts to go into negative numbers. But barring all that, if UA won't honor the tickets, no one is going to "make" UA fly them anywhere. Sure, we could sue them and I'm sure they know that. But by the time the case is heard, your flight will have departed long ago. The worst thing that happens then is UA loses the suit and is forced to give you a new tkt. big deal, they would have done that anyway by honoring them in the first place. It's a numbers game. If UA issued 100 of these tickets and don't honor them how many people will take this all the way to court? 25? If UA loses these suits somewhere down the road (years perhaps), they still win in the long run....Unfortunatly, they usually do.
The DoT works fast and I doubt anyone here won't send in their form.

What could happend if my (cats) acct goes negative? They're gonna send a collection agency for me to pay 2 CPM?

And the DoT also fines, which IS making them think twice about cancelling these tickets.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cargojon
Is it really worth the negative PR / backlash from some of your most loyal customers?
Are the folks demanding that you honor a freebie or claiming "discrimination" because they were otherwise busy and couldn't get to the airport fast enough the ones you as a company care about anyways? Suggesting that FT represents the best customers is a stretch to begin with. Suggesting that the ones who booked mistake fares and demand that they be honored represent the best customers which you'd want to keep close seems quite strange to me.

Popcorn in hand, I'll be following this one....
I might have to switch to a different snack...I've had way too much popcorn lately.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:09 am

Any consumer claims arising out of this will most likely end up at the bottom of someone's "In Box" at DoT and sit there for a long, long time.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: DL Gold

Is it really worth the negative PR / backlash from some of your most loyal customers?
Pretty sure:

a) They couldn't care less about those customers who are here just for the free first class trip to Asia.

b) Their "most loyal customers" won't be leaving the airline because of a clear pricing error.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
just be careful not to have a popcorn overdose, plus all that salt can't be good... perhaps to stay on the popcorn theme, try the PopChips or whatever they are called... or maybe even some fruits or veggies (Plastic covered apple or Carrot/Veggie sticks from an AC or RCC) hehe

now back on topic, my guess, a large % of people will give up and accept UA's offer and move on. A smaller subset will complain and say they will file DoT complaints but not do it, they will cave in. A really small subset, who have been around the rodeo once or twice already, will simply stick around. DoT complaints and see where this goes.

Again, it's not about sticking it to United, or anything like that. It's just a consumer using the tools at his or her disposal to enforce contracts.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:14 am

You guys wonder why you're "over entitled". This thread says it all. Anyone who "purchased" this and didn't expect it to bounce back is a complete moron.

What a waste of bandwidth, time, and effort.

"I'm suing in federal court!"

L O L.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by hcampana
Has anyone actually been contacted by united yet?
No contact yet, but I notice the online reservation (ticketed on Sunday) still has a "refund" link alive. Can anyone shed light on whether this is normal behavior or whether the "refund" link typically goes away after the 24 hour post-ticket grace period has passed?

Secondary note, I really wish folks who didn't buy this ticket but are polluting the thread with their unwanted opinions would just go away. Clutching at pearls and swooning in outrage disguises a better lesson for them: mind your own business.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Just as a reminder to anyone talking about suing, filing DOT complaints or anything else....if you haven't received an email from united yet and your reservation is still intact, there's no need to do anything. @:-)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:20 am

I must say, while I would have loved them to honor my 2 BF tickets to HKG (would have made a great, 8 mile post-bar exam trip!), this has all been worth it for the hilarious amateur legal sniping from the original thread until now. it's made for a great last minute contracts review for the bar exam! if only they tested on administrative law as well...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
Are the folks demanding that you honor a freebie or claiming "discrimination" because they were otherwise busy and couldn't get to the airport fast enough the ones you as a company care about anyways? Suggesting that FT represents the best customers is a stretch to begin with. Suggesting that the ones who booked mistake fares and demand that they be honored represent the best customers which you'd want to keep close seems quite strange to me.

I might have to switch to a different snack...I've had way too much popcorn lately.
We can't allow you to switch the class of snack without a change fee, sorry!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
E-Ticket and Rant

I know we all have e-tickets. What if real hard tickets had been issued? WOuldn't that be harder for United to vaporize?

As of now I am doing nothing. IF and when United calls, I will let them know I am recording the conversation with This conversation may be monitored recorded to ensure my rights under US DOT regulations. I will decline both options and insist United keeps their contract with me.

I agree with others United responce on this board while from a UA offical can not be considered their offical responce, FT is not a member of the contract I enteredinto with United.They must contact me if they want to discuss the optons for modifiying our contract.

FYI I have about 9000 miles in my MP acct. None have deducted. BUt I currently have about 140000 milesworth of award travel booked that will be used prior to my Hong Kong trip.

In the least I will insist the reservation stands and they allow me time to gather the miles to pay their bait and switch fee while holding my feet to the fire with threats of cancelation. My seats will remain booked until I decide to pay the inflated ransome or cancel at a time of my choosing.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Pretty sure:

a) They couldn't care less about those customers who are here just for the free first class trip to Asia.

b) Their "most loyal customers" won't be leaving the airline because of a clear pricing error.
It's not just the pricing error that has driven these loyal customers away. It is the blatant disregard for customer satisfaction, and their now proven inability to speak the truth, even in the media. Yes, I am referring to what they said in the 2007 WSJ article. Either you're an honest company or you're not, and I guess United is choosing to prove that they are not. When you say you will honor a mistake, "no matter how large", when you choose to go against your word, you are no longer trustworthy. United has chosen to publicly lie to its most loyal customers, and that is among the reasons they will be leaving.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:30 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Hey United: How about a compromise?

1. admit you messed up but really want to make it right for your customers and shareholders at the same time.

2. Calculate the actual cost of honoring tickets and offer that to us after determining true labor costs of manually processing (two hours at X per hour)

3. Add additional fuel costs for hauling my chubby backside to Hong Kong
4. Add standard cost of meal and beverage service.
5. Downgrade us to business if you need to preserve First space or leave us there if that is in your best interests
6. move our dates to dates where you have empty seats, when we can fly and we will pay the additional incremental costs as described above.

It becomes a win win at that point. No financial loss to you and we get a great deal to Hong Kong.

Just imagine how impressed the DOT and all the press would be with that positive PR move on your part
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Originally Posted by HKChicago
My goodness, if I were a UA exec I would take the vitriol in this thread as a final indication that Flyertalk complaints should not be given one minute's worth of my consideration, due to the complete and total self-entitlement that obviously defines posters' psyches.
Couldn't have said it any better.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.