Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 16, 12, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by JONEZY00 View Post
If someone has it handy could they post a link to the form. Thx.
I think it's this: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm

Airline Service Complaints?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
I don't agree to either.... now what?

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
And if the roles had been reversed? How would UA respond to this for example:

Over the weekend, we discovered an error where we overpaid for a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We give UA a choice, either to cancel this booking and refund the fare or to change to the fare we really wanted. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
What about those people who have already travelled ? Why am I treated different .

Originally Posted by SAPPHIRESWELL View Post
I think it's this: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm

Airline Service Complaints?
Wouldn't that be a wee bit premature ...

As in wait until they cancel your flights with you having not agreed to it voluntarily ...
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by harryhv View Post
And if the roles had been reversed? Shall I write to UA and say...

Over the weekend, we discovered an error in a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We require UA to cancel this booking refund the fare. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.
+100

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k
Did anyone actually make off the ground today? If so I would love a trip report or a post number to go back and read.
Thanks

All the whining, complaining, and threats of suing is classless. You should have known going in that the odds of United actually honoring the tickets was slim. Show some class for an obvious mistake and move on.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
And if the roles had been reversed? Would you write to UA and say...

Over the weekend, we discovered an error where we overpaid for a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We give UA a choice, either to cancel this booking and refund the fare or to change to the fare we really wanted. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Lol. We can dream can't we....

Last edited by cruisr; Jul 16, 12 at 8:24 pm Reason: Auto correct on iPad grrrrr

Originally Posted by fly2nrt View Post
I don't agree to either.... now what?
+1

Sorry UA, but I don't want broccoli OR spinach.

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Talking

Originally Posted by ianmanka View Post
And boom goes the dynamite. Thanks for playing, everyone.

LOL.

Good one!

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
anyone up for a class action lawsuit?

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
and if the roles had been reversed? How would ua respond to this for example:

Over the weekend, we discovered an error where we overpaid for a nonrefundable booking we made last week. We give ua a choice, either to cancel this booking and refund the fare or to change to the fare we really wanted. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ thank you
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:25 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks Shannon for the Reply

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
I appreciate your coming forward with your decision in a somewhat timely manner. Unfortunately others have already travelled for the receipted amount of 8 miles and it would be discriminatory to allow them to travel at that rate and not me. I am a senior citizen and couldn't make arrangements that quickly to travel yesterday.

I am in hopes you will change your mind and make an offer to those that are being shortchanged and could not travel yesterday. Compromise usually provides a much better outcome than having this dragged through the DOT and the press, particularly based on other recent UA issues that did not show UA in a favorable light with consumers.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:26 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, Plat AMB, SPG/MR Gold
Originally Posted by Milezjunkie View Post
All the whining, complaining, and threats of suing is classless. You should have known going in that the odds of United actually honoring the tickets was slim. Show some class for an obvious mistake and move on.
Maybe if they had shown some class on other issues...most notably the clawed back bonus offer

Search this Thread
Search Engine: