Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Well aware of the federal laws and regulations, and wasn't trying to point out anything in relation to them of whether something was legal or not. Not everything has to be about DOT. It can also be a comparison as to why airlines are subject to mistaken fare compensation, while most other industries are not subject to mistake compensation (banks, insurance companies, utility companies, just about all companies). Heck even contracts can be legally voided if they include an obvious pricing/typographical mistake.

As someone who runs retail businesses, I'd be scared stiff if there was a law that said that I had to honor orders due to a computer glitch that caused a price mistake, and I think just about every other business would be, too. There is no way to prevent them - none. There is no computer portal out there that is 100% perfect and mistake-proof. It doesn't exist. You could easily make many businesses bankrupt if the same laws applied to them - one mistake and BOOM, you are out of business because 10,000 customers just bought a $1000 TV for $1 and you have to give it to them for $1 or go bankrupt.
I would totally understand that. But what if 9,000 of those customer you said "ok they brought them before 5pm they can keep them. Those who brought the Tvs after 5pm have to return them , too bad"
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by brasov02
Simply amazing how those who are trying to victimize a business with this sort of predatory practice of pouncing on the slightest of computer glitches, however innocent or unintended, in hopes of getting something for nothing can, with a straight face, claim such a contorted reverse-victim status when the business in question justifiably refuses to give in to such tactics. Talk about some warped reasoning. Entertaining, but warped.
Carry on...
Bingo!!! ^

I am a fuel-dumping, frequent flier mile hoarding, award traveling junkie but even *I* am the first to admit that UA has zero obligation to fly me to HKG in First for FOUR miles + taxes.

Get over it and move on...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I would totally understand that. But what if 9,000 of those customer you said "ok they brought them before 5pm they can keep them. Those who brought the Tvs after 5pm have to return them , too bad"
Clearly, those who were already flying or would be flying within a matter of days would be harmed but those flying later really are not. There were probably only a handful that were able to fly that quickly anyway. I've only read about 3 or 4 that did so. On the other hand, the reports of people booking multiple tickets all the way into next summer are the rule. One free ticket wasn't enough for the majority and I suspect if most involved only booked one ticket the outcome may be different.

I seriously doubt that any court or agency would consider their actions discriminatory.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I wanted AA to some some responsibility for their online shopping mall. They didn't, I lost but I have still not been back to that mall.
Actually, somebody did own up to the AA shopping mistake --- at least a little. 2500 miles right -- paid by AA or Careta, I don't recall. It just so happens that the implementation was pretty bungled and I think that a lot of folks didn't get the miles. But it was an attempt at least.

I do believe that's a big part of this -- if United would just admit that their IT systems SUCK, throw us a bone, and promise to fix their systems, this could largely blow away. Heck, I would gladly trade my ticket to HKG in exchange for bringing back Apollo! (Yes, I'm mostly serious!)

Instead, they blamed their customers, and want to continue with business as usual. It's the COdbaUA arrogance that is so maddening here.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That there is a lot of time being spent by DOT agents that could probably be better spent on other issues.
you're kidding, right?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
these comparisons between an airline and a "utility" or "bank" or "insurance company" are ridiculous.

If a bank publishes an offer for 500,000 frequent flyer miles and 0% interest on purchases for 36 months, gets a gazillion signups and then dishonors the promotion you can bet the FTC would be all over them.

United is a business that makes business decisions, they choose to "go cheap" on their software and testing so they can "save money", if that turns out to bite them in the butt, that's their calculation.

I have little sympathy for poor little United. If you forget to cancel your reservation 3 days out, they're going to tell you tough luck. If you don't show up because you slept in, or had a meeting go over, tough luck, you're out of luck. Why? because the conditions of the ticket (which you have no chance to negotiate over) say so. Over those conditions lies regulation of the industry, one of which is that once you take consideration and issue a ticket, you have to honor it.
but if a person buys a fully refundable fare and doesnt CX it they still get their $$ back dont they?

I would agree with you if ALL tkts sold had the restrictions you mentioned or if COdbaUA someway was able to Force you to fly them and purchase said tkts.But thats not the case.

Trust me I dislaike alot about COdbaUA, and like alot that I can now do that when it was PMUA I couldnt.But overall I will raise a toast the day Jeff leaves. But in this case I agree with COdbaUA
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I only have one family ticket booked. I'm confused why everyone thinks or says this ticket is free, I paid nearly $700 in taxes plus the published miles .

We don't know how many flew or how many are waiting. But if one goes we should all go. One intinerary per account which takes out the abusers.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

My personal opinion about this deal is just that, my personal opinion. I want the DOT to rule and that means nothing more or nothing less than anybody else's opinion here. I put my pantlegs on one leg at a time just like you do. I'm no smarter or have no extra pull with anyone. If I changed my personal opinion because of some internet comments I'd be ashamed of myself. I want United to take some responsibility for their IT department. I wanted AA to some some responsibility for their online shopping mall. They didn't, I lost but I have still not been back to that mall. That is a personal choice. As I wrote in my blog I had to swallow a $30,000 error personally because I forgot to check a box once while in the mortgage business. Thats just the way I was brought up.

In all the vile comments, I have only seen one concrete thought that has partially opened my eyes. That there is a lot of time being spent by DOT agents that could probably be better spent on other issues. I agree and it is a shame that United did not handle this issue more professionally. If they had, I'm sure a compromise could have been reached without all the anomosity. United needs to be looked at by the DOT. Read this board since March 3rd.

Hobo13, thanks for the support. Although we often disagree, I will again reaffirm my support for you to peacefully take the course of action you personally feel necessary in any issue. I wish the rest of the space would treat me with as much respect as a worthy dissenter. I continue to be amazed what this has come to.
Its 1 thing to want the DoT to look at it , its another advocating that UA needs to give us the trips we booked and doing a War Dance about it

Yrs ago you would have said Ok we tried and they decided not to honor it lets move on, today you're pounding your chest in a NO way hosea will I let them get away with this attitude. Rick you have changed tremendously and it seems you now want to rationalize why the new you is AOK.

Sorry I dont buy it I miss the old Rick that humble guy that was thankful for whatever he was able to sang and dont care for the replacement Rick.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Actually, somebody did own up to the AA shopping mistake --- at least a little. 2500 miles right -- paid by AA or Careta, I don't recall. It just so happens that the implementation was pretty bungled and I think that a lot of folks didn't get the miles. But it was an attempt at least.

It was 2500 miles plus an additional 2500 if you made another purchase via the AA shopping portal within a specified time frame. I spent $.99 on a song from iTunes to get the extra 2500 miles and I don't think I've been back. But, that's mostly due to my going through Ultimate Rewards for almost all of my shopping lately.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Potential Solution

UA can rename/rebrand it's existing 'First' class as 'Ultra' class, then brand all middle coach seats and the seats closest to the bathrooms as 'First' class. All existing cash paid 'First' class reservations would be 'upgraded' to 'Ultra' class. All existing XX,000 mile 'First' class award reservations would be 'upgraded' to 'Ultra' class. All existing 4 mile 'First' class awards would be in-eligible for upgrades of any kind except for cash payment of the full Ultra class fare.

Oh, and United could just map it's new class brands to whatever they and their partners choose on said partner's metal. And finally, United could zero out all coach awards for the foreseeable future.

Both sides win!

Those holding 4mile First class tickets could indeed fly 'First' class to HKG. United would honor the tickets and have no new coach awards until some indeterminate point in the future. Thus requiring those that want to travel to a. purchase a ticket, b. redeem miles for a business or Ultra class ticket, or c. fly another airline.

Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:39 pm

Well, i just got back from my weekend in Hong Kong, had an awesome trip, even though it was pretty short. Everything went smoothly even though i had a flight cancelled and had to rebook everything. The only other mention or issue i had was when i checked in for my flight in Hong Kong. The agent at the first class check in, pulled up my info then remarked about my ticket being 4 miles, and that they were cancelling everything. Then said "she" was making an exception to let me fly and that any other tickets i had were cancelled. The whole interaction with her was horrible, she basically could care less that I was flying and acted as if i had done something criminal to be flying. Oh well, once i left the counter, everything else was awesome! Ill post more trip details later on.

Last edited by Pyridoxine; Jul 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I only have one family ticket booked. I'm confused why everyone thinks or says this ticket is free, I paid nearly $700 in taxes plus the published miles .

We don't know how many flew or how many are waiting. But if one goes we should all go. One intinerary per account which takes out the abusers.
You are quite correct that the tickets were not free in the purest sense of the word. But in the modern vernacular we often see things of value advertised as being free when in fact you have to pay taxes and fees on said item. Try telling the IRS that you don't have to pay taxes on a vacation because it was given to you for free.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
UA can rename/rebrand it's existing 'First' class as 'Ultra' class, then brand all middle coach seats and the seats closest to the bathrooms as 'First' class. All existing cash paid 'First' class reservations would be 'upgraded' to 'Ultra' class. All existing XX,000 mile 'First' class award reservations would be 'upgraded' to 'Ultra' class. All existing 4 mile 'First' class awards would be in-eligible for upgrades of any kind except for cash payment of the full Ultra class fare.

Oh, and United could just map it's new class brands to whatever they and their partners choose on said partner's metal. And finally, United could zero out all coach awards for the foreseeable future.

Both sides win!

Those holding 4mile First class tickets could indeed fly 'First' class to HKG. United would honor the tickets and have no new coach awards until some indeterminate point in the future. Thus requiring those that want to travel to a. purchase a ticket, b. redeem miles for a business or Ultra class ticket, or c. fly another airline.

Huh
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Clearly, those who were already flying or would be flying within a matter of days would be harmed but those flying later really are not. There were probably only a handful that were able to fly that quickly anyway. I've only read about 3 or 4 that did so. On the other hand, the reports of people booking multiple tickets all the way into next summer are the rule. One free ticket wasn't enough for the majority and I suspect if most involved only booked one ticket the outcome may be different.

I seriously doubt that any court or agency would consider their actions discriminatory.
Exactly. And while I'm sure some people would have accepted an apology and a few tolken miles, many still would have had an all or nothing attitude. They just want a free first class tkt to Hong Kong and anything short, will not suffice for them
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pyridoxine
Well, i just got back from my weekend in Hong Kong, had an awesome trip, even though it was pretty short. Everything went smoothly even though i had a flight cancelled and had to rebook everything. The only other mention or issue i had was when i checked in for my flight in Hong Kong. The agent at the first class check in, pulled up my info then remarked about my ticket being 4 miles, and that they were cancelling everything. Then said "she" was making an exception to let me fly and that any other tickets i had were cancelled. The whole interaction with her was horrible, she basically could care less that I was flying and acted as if i had done something criminal to be flying. Oh well, once i left the counter, everything else was awesome! Ill post more trip details later on.
Why wouldn't she act like that? Most people wouldn't take too kindly too someone scamming their company out of $10.000+ via an IT error. What you did wasn't very far from being criminal (plenty of people have been prosecuted for abusing IT errors for personal gain).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.