Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Filed with DOT this morning. Anyone know when they might make the next announcement?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by flyer31
So those people who flew till July 21st with the blessings of United should have their accounts closed according to you.
I'd leave people who flew prior to the 21st alone. Consider them lucky.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I did not partake in this... but to me this is simple:

UA screwed up
UA accepts responsibility
People enjoy their flights
UA cleans up their act and learns from their mistakes

I can promise you if my 98 year grandmother books 6 first class tickets in F from SAT-Birmingham, UK when intending to book 1 coach class ticket from SAT to Birmingham, AL, UA will say: "Sorry ma'am, enjoy the UK". She never intended to book 6 or F class or to BHX in the first place. Big, clear mistake on her part. Yet, UA will hold her to it.

Same, here, UA screwed up. End of story
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I'd leave people who flew prior to the 21st alone. Consider them lucky.
So now we have 2 classes of people who got on the same reward at the same time on the same 4 miles deal. One who flew early and the others who wanted to fly later.
Those who flew in later should have their accounts closed according to you because they just chose the later date.
Will this work legally is a million mile question.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dhammer53
UA has raised fares several times this year. This is just one of many.

My advice on how to manage this thread:

I read the first page since my last visit and the last 2 pages. With all the copy/paste going on, it's easy to keep up.

I also search kokonutz for his 'take' and his wit on the situation.

dh
Dan Hammer is a genius. ^

More PDA from me: I <heart> AA and Dan Hammer. :-*

PS, if UNITED 'retaliates' against its customers I will have a heart attack and die of NOT surprise. After all, UNITED has been retaliating against us for some time now! @:-)
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I called UA to get my ticket reinstated the award booking agent told me I was never issued a ticket and I did not pay. The miles for this trip is 300k not 4 miles. I didn't have enough miles in my account at the time so they cancelled it.

I said I was quoted a 4 mile fare for a multi city intinerary not once was it shown different . I did have the required 4 miles in my account if the computer glitch didn't allow it to take the 4 miles is that my fault. My cc was charged which has now been refunded. She also told me that this intinerary was not ticketed I said I was issued a e-ticket which I own . I did not authorise anyone to cancel my ticket which is my property.

If DOT doesn't help out on this I will be going further .
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:38 pm

The analogies have jumped the shark

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I can promise you if my 98 year grandmother books 6 first class tickets in F from SAT-Birmingham, UK when intending to book 1 coach class ticket from SAT to Birmingham, AL, UA will say: "Sorry ma'am, enjoy the UK". She never intended to book 6 or F class or to BHX in the first place. Big, clear mistake on her part. Yet, UA will hold her to it.
Even if her CC didn't intervene first when they saw $120K of tickets coming through on her card, the rules on a full F fare SAT-BHX comes with a no-fee refund clause.

Let's not be ridiculous.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Do you have an equivalent consumer regulatory body dealing with air transport in Australia? Shouldn't you be complaining to them?

Originally Posted by kokonutz
PS, if UNITED 'retaliates' against its customers I will have a heart attack and die of NOT surprise. After all, UNITED has been retaliating against us for some time now! @:-)
I hope you're not on my AA flights to the Olympics on Monday. I don't want to be delayed.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I suggest that United's BIGGEST exposure in all of this isn't in the current fiasco.

It's that there's a better than 50-50 chance that the combined risk factors of errors within SHARES will lead to something like it happening again.

They can't bear THAT risk or its uncertainty factor. So they need to reestablish that the customer should.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Do you have an equivalent consumer regulatory body dealing with air transport in Australia? Shouldn't you
I have and was told I can not make a complaint against a company who I have a contract with outside Australia.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sfo3388
I don't have this kind of "4 miles" award ticket but I have a thought. The ticket and flight reservation are actually separate things, right?

In the case of the "4 miles" award tickets, technically, the ticket is valid until next July. This week United cancelled the flights associated to the ticket number but the ticket number should still have original fare type attached. If people can wait for a few months then call United with the ticket number, they might still get flights booked with the original award type they purchased.

If United voided the ticket along with flight reservations, then only DOT can help.

Does my logic make sense?
In my case, UA told me that my ticket had been canceled and refunded. Your logic makes sense, and that idea came up in the RGN fare debate, but I don't how it applies here. I think UA has been cancelling tickets and not just reservations.

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
UA should give everyone a choice: A) honor the ticket as is and have your account deleted forever or B) return the miles + money and move on with your life. It's a shame the the DOT is going to get bombarded by greedy people trying to scam free tickets. People have way to much time on their hands.
I would actually take that offer. I didn't book from an ultra-low miles account, but I consider my current balance to be a good deal in exchange for the F tickets I bought. (Around 10-15% of the award chart cost of the tickets.) I can easily avoid flying UA in the future. And I fully understood that blacklisting was an unlikely but possible outcome when I booked these tickets.

But really, your solution means the only people accepting/taking advantage of this offer are people who have little or no stake in UA. The only people who would be tempted to decline this offer would be people with status and/or lots of miles - the 'good' customers. That seems like the opposite of what UA would want to do.

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Firewind
I suggest that United's BIGGEST exposure in all of this isn't in the current fiasco.

It's that there's a better than 50-50 chance that the combined risk factors of errors within SHARES will lead to something like it happening again.

They can't bear THAT risk or its uncertainty factor. So they need to reestablish that the customer should.
SHARES may be the worst part of this whole merger. However, when it comes to this mistake, SHARES is no worse then the computer systems of SQ, KE, AC, etc and all the other airlines that have had mistakes (big and small). I'm sure that a few IT people in Singapore are looking for new jobs since the SQ award availability fiasco.........a number of people point out this could have been caused be a disgruntled employee or a hacker. If it was a hacker, I'm sure they are taking the appropriate steps without letting us know every step. I really thought that It's a shame UA didn't just honor these - but seeing these greedy die hards that just won't let it go is just sad

FYI. Many foreign airlines can take over a month to bill American credit cards. I bought a ticket online w Egypy Air and the charge did not come thru for 40 days, A purchase I made w PIA took almost 2 months. UA is under no obligation to run a credit card within any specific time frame

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I called UA to get my ticket reinstated the award booking agent told me I was never issued a ticket and I did not pay. The miles for this trip is 300k not 4 miles. I didn't have enough miles in my account at the time so they cancelled it.

I said I was quoted a 4 mile fare for a multi city intinerary not once was it shown different . I did have the required 4 miles in my account if the computer glitch didn't allow it to take the 4 miles is that my fault. My cc was charged which has now been refunded. She also told me that this intinerary was not ticketed I said I was issued a e-ticket which I own . I did not authorise anyone to cancel my ticket which is my property.

Why would you give a hard time to an agent in the phone who YOU KNOW has no power to do anything? Was it fun arguing w some person just trying to do their job?

If the DOT doesn't help out where are you going to go? The Supreme Court? And your damages are????

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 22, 2012 at 4:13 am Reason: merge

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
From today's USA Today article (I just read it on line, don't know if it went on the actual paper), I have a feeling UA is going to be forced to honor each and every ticket. I didn't participate in this but I'm rooting for you!

Again, they should have dealt with this better...

UG
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
From today's USA Today article
The article you link to was last updated 3 days ago.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Why would you give a hard time to an agent in the phone who YOU KNOW has no power to do anything? Was it fun arguing w some person just trying to do their job?

If the DOT doesn't help out where are you going to go? The Supreme Court? And your damages are????
Well we are putting the cart before the horse. Let DOT decide first, if they decide in favor of United I assume many would just let it go at that point. Only a few would take it to courts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.