Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Chucksterace
Out of curiosity, how long should it take for the DoT to make a final decision, with all of papers, receipts and evidence, how long do you expect it to be?

Also, how long did it take on the KE RGN decision to come out as that might give a somewhat sample of time frame?

Thanks All.
A couple of folks posted upthread, it was less than 2 weeks from DOT filing.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer31
Where did you get the $100M number from..
I read in one report (USA Today?) that it was more than 10000 tickets. Not sure where they got the number though.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by sbrower
Let's see now. Time to play lawyer.

"Have you ever redeemed an award on any airline program?"

"Have you ever read the award chart for any airline program?"

"Have you ever purchased an airline mile?"

"Have you ever earned an airline mile?"

"What value do you place on an airline mile?"
"I will sell you 1,000,000 of them, right now, for 1/2 of what you just answered to the last question. Will you accept?"

"Did you know that this was an error?"

"Prior to booking this ticket, did you or anyone you know read about this fare being available on a website, blog or other source?"

"I have here the log of every time that you accessed FlyerTalk using your screen name of . . . . It shows right here that you read the thread about this deal just minutes before you booked this ticket. Does that refresh your recollection?"

That is the first 2 minutes of 20 hours of prep I would do if United hired me to defend these cases.
Not that any of that matters, but...

Counter question. Have you ever booked an award ticket through United Airlines for fewer miles than listed on the award chart and had it honored? If you have flown on a mileage award special then the answer is yes.

What makes this special different than other mileage specials. When can an airline claim a special was "too good" and then retroactively cancel. There is a reason DOT drew a firm line to prohibit post ticketing price increases.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
Smile

Originally Posted by sbrower
Let's see now. Time to play lawyer.

"Have you ever redeemed an award on any airline program?"

"Have you ever read the award chart for any airline program?"

"Have you ever purchased an airline mile?"

"Have you ever earned an airline mile?"

"What value do you place on an airline mile?"
"I will sell you 1,000,000 of them, right now, for 1/2 of what you just answered to the last question. Will you accept?"

"Did you know that this was an error?"

"Prior to booking this ticket, did you or anyone you know read about this fare being available on a website, blog or other source?"

"I have here the log of every time that you accessed FlyerTalk using your screen name of . . . . It shows right here that you read the thread about this deal just minutes before you booked this ticket. Does that refresh your recollection?"

That is the first 2 minutes of 20 hours of prep I would do if United hired me to defend these cases.
My Rebuttal:
"Did you really take 20 hours to prepare these few questions?"

"Is your hourly rate really $500.00 per hour?"

"Now who here is really taking advantage of the airline?"
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I took these, although I didn't book...

(deal was mostly dead when I took these, or else I'd have tried to do F tix )
This should be okay, but my concern is: United may have an argument that the "correct" mileage is shown above (e.g., 300,000)...

This one, IMHO, will be more convincing to make a case:

Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Who cares how this ticketing business all plays out! You all need to be asking yourself if an airline this sloppy with its pricing system might also be this sloppy with its aircraft maintenance system. Do you want to trust your life to an airline that seems to have accountability problems and maybe even some employee sabotage issues? Does the difference in the fare amounts look like a typo? Ask yourself whether people have been reporting sniping and labor issues or a happy, integrated company workforce.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by uva185
If you have flown on a mileage award special then the answer is yes.

What makes this special different than other mileage specials.
There was no advertised special. Sure you can accidentally run into special but you cant make a case on the fact specials have been offered in the past.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:04 pm

No one tried this number 852-3198-5777, United Hong Kong local number? Since most of the ticket are to/from HKG, maybe we can call that number ask which comsumer agent in HK rule such issue. Even they are not willing to answer, a flood of call may case enought trouble to them. Since it is in HK, everything is possible to happen.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by CDKing
There was no advertised special. Sure you can accidentally run into special but you cant make a case on the fact specials have been offered in the past.
You also cannot make the case that just because something was not advertised it is a mistake.

The point is there is a precedent of selling tickets for fewer miles than listed on the award chart.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uva185
Not that any of that matters, but...

Counter question. Have you ever booked an award ticket through United Airlines for fewer miles than listed on the award chart and had it honored? If you have flown on a mileage award special then the answer is yes.
Haha, these days I truly have no idea to expect until I start putting in dates / city pairs. Especially for multi-city awards!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by gachen
No one tried this number 852-3198-5777, United Hong Kong local number? Since most of the ticket are to/from HKG, maybe we can call that number ask which comsumer agent in HK rule such issue. Even they are not willing to answer, a flood of call may case enought trouble to them. Since it is in HK, everything is possible to happen.
u can try this http://www.consumer.org.hk/website/ws_chi/

But as I understand they are more like the BBB equivalent
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lewende
This should be okay, but my concern is: United may have an argument that the "correct" mileage is shown above (e.g., 300,000)...

This one, IMHO, will be more convincing to make a case:

This clearly proves that UA lied to DOT. In no where during the booking process were the required regular mileage posted.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by antonius66
[SIZE=1]
I do hope this is a joke
+1. Utter logic fail by that poster. An IT incident leads to flightworthiness issues. When you think the 'aggrieved' can't get any more irrational...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Bacopa
This clearly proves that UA lied to DOT. In no where during the booking process were the required regular mileage posted.
This is a screenshot from viewing the booking, not from the booking flow. You can tell because there's a link to refund/redeposit.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by unavaca
This is a screenshot from viewing the booking, not from the booking flow. You can tell because there's a link to refund/redeposit.
Frankly, in the booking flow, there is no mileage requirement showed up - I was under "multiple destination" search option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.