Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
I still haven't received a peep out of United to my email address. TO cancel tickets without notice is completely unacceptable.
Yeah, but you apparently DO know that your ticket has been cancelled.

So where's the actual harm?
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I took these, although I didn't book...

(deal was mostly dead when I took these, or else I'd have tried to do F tix )
Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Thank you. If anyone has video of booking, it would be very helpful to show United is lying about the situation.

Originally Posted by sbrower
Government agency. Anywhere between 1 hour and 2 years. [That is not a sarcastic response - it is an accurate answer.]
Probably closer to two years. Lots of review levels involved.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
Probably closer to two years. Lots of review levels involved.
In a year they will announce that UA has been fined $100K.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Let's see now. Time to play lawyer.

"Have you ever redeemed an award on any airline program?"

"Have you ever read the award chart for any airline program?"

"Have you ever purchased an airline mile?"

"Have you ever earned an airline mile?"

"What value do you place on an airline mile?"
"I will sell you 1,000,000 of them, right now, for 1/2 of what you just answered to the last question. Will you accept?"

"Did you know that this was an error?"

"Prior to booking this ticket, did you or anyone you know read about this fare being available on a website, blog or other source?"

"I have here the log of every time that you accessed FlyerTalk using your screen name of . . . . It shows right here that you read the thread about this deal just minutes before you booked this ticket. Does that refresh your recollection?"

That is the first 2 minutes of 20 hours of prep I would do if United hired me to defend these cases.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:27 pm
Suspended

"Have you ever redeemed an award on any airline program?"

"Have you ever read the award chart for any airline program?"

"Have you ever purchased an airline mile?"

"Have you ever earned an airline mile?"

"What value do you place on an airline mile?"
"I will sell you 1,000,000 of them, right now, for 1/2 of what you just answered to the last question. Will you accept?"

"Did you know that this was an error?"

"Prior to booking this ticket, did you or anyone you know read about this fare being available on a website, blog or other source?"

"I have here the log of every time that you accessed FlyerTalk using your screen name of . . . . It shows right here that you read the thread about this deal just minutes before you booked this ticket. Does that refresh your recollection?"

That is the first 2 minutes of 20 hours of prep I would do if United hired me to defend these cases.
How many times does it need to be said? NONE OF WHAT YOU JUST ASKED MATTERS. We're all accepting it was a MISTAKE FARE. DOT regulations require airlines to honor ticketed mistake fares like this case.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:32 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yeah i am not sure what is so hard to understand about that...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Longtime popcorn consumer, first-time caller. I have no dog in this fight, but it's been the most entertaining show on earth since US Presidential primary season.

I find the comments about government sloth highly ironic. USDOT has been quickly responding to complaints folks have filed, with a specific, coherent message. Compare that to UA's level of responsiveness to any kind of communication from any level of customer these days.

That's not to say that DOT will issue any kind of ruling soon. But who has the better reputation for nimbleness right now?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM

+1. That's why these people typing tough will never set foot in a court. The swearing in and hearing 'threat of perjury' would take the starch out of their outrage.

This also explains the short response UA is emailing out. They fully understand that the less said the better.

I'm giggling at @Yammer's call for someone with a 'video' of their booking. But made me think about the Google Glasses demo at the Google I/O gathering a few weeks ago - it will be possible in the future - without holding a smartphone up in front of the monitor...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:40 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
162 pages later, it is time to let this go. I too am pissed at UA for many things but it is time to move on......
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Yammer
How many times does it need to be said? NONE OF WHAT YOU JUST ASKED MATTERS. We're all accepting it was a MISTAKE FARE. DOT regulations require airlines to honor ticketed mistake fares like this case.
Yeah but this is why DOT won't force the tickets to be reissued and will fine United some small amount.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Yeah but this is why DOT won't force the tickets to be reissued and will fine United some small amount.
How do you know what DOT will do...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyer31
How do you know what DOT will do...
Because UA wouldn't have made a move like this if they didn't know what would happen. There is no way DOT will force them to give $100M worth of tickets away for free. This isn't a passenger rights issue and you know it. Some of the rationalization here is hilarious "maybe it could have been a 4 mile per ticket promotion" .

I am very happy that UA cancelled all the tickets because how do you think they would try to get that $100M expense back?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
I'd say UA has lived up to this:

If a party asserts Force Majeure as an excuse for failure to perform the party's obligation, then the nonperforming party must prove that the party took reasonable steps to minimize delay or damages caused by foreseeable events (sent out emails so @teddy25 didn't bother going to the airport), that the party substantially fulfilled all non-excused obligations (flew the people for 8 miles who already started their trips), and that the other party was timely notified of the likelihood or actual occurrence of an event described in Clause 19 (Force Majeure).

Anyone who think the DoT rules is one sentence to the effect that 'airlines have to honor mistake fares' is very naive to the point of ridiculousness.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Because UA wouldn't have made a move like this if they didn't know what would happen. There is no way DOT will force them to give $100M worth of tickets away for free. This isn't a passenger rights issue and you know it. Some of the rationalization here is hilarious "maybe it could have been a 4 mile per ticket promotion" .

I am very happy that UA cancelled all the tickets because how do you think they would try to get that $100M expense back?
Where did you get the $100M number from..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.