Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by qtpinoy54 View Post
For those who booked multiple itineraries/passengers: When you filed your DOT complaint, did you file one complaint for each ticket/passenger?
I filed one complaint for each ticket #.

Originally Posted by GMUJD06 View Post
That's my biggest problem with United's email (well, save for the lack of apology). I didn't not pay, they chose not to deduct my agreed-upon payment after I gave them full authorization to do so (yes, mistakenly agreed upon, but agreed upon nonetheless). They're making it sound like I wrote a bad check or something.
+1...I paid....they just ignored the payment.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 12 at 10:52 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by ps9a View Post
+1
Lot of anger directed toward United these days. In the absence of a DoT ruling, I think it would be very, very hard for United to justify honoring this fare to their shareholders.

Yes, if their strategy is to put zero value on reputation and customer satisfaction then honoring the fares is complete opposite to the strategy and has no justification.

They could use this incident as a turning point. Show that all their talk about caring about their customers, turning around after the post-merger mess etc. is not just talk but there is acion behind it. But obviously their startegy is the same old strategy so none of their actions during this crisis are any surprise at all.
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spsawant View Post
I am sure you guys would have even flown on Spirit Airlines
Wrong. I draw the line somewhere.

I was thinking last night that I bet Spirit wishes they flew to HKG. It'd be great marketing for them to over $4 fares to HKG right now, and just tack on huge fees as usual.

Given their marketing campaigns of late, I bet they are thinking about how they can poke fun at UA over this.
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
For those of you that keep erroneously stating that the Wall Street Journal article was 5 years old, the statement from Robin Zumanski regarding UA's mistake fare policy was actually in 2010.

2007 was when the New Zealand fare mistake took place.

And barring a stated change of policy from UA/CO, they are morally bound to honor it; for those of you preaching ethics....
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Originally Posted by apk123 View Post
Yes, if their strategy is to put zero value on reputation and customer satisfaction then honoring the fares is complete opposite to the strategy and has no justification.

They could use this incident as a turning point. Show that all their talk about caring about their customers, turning around after the post-merger mess etc. is not just talk but there is acion behind it. But obviously their startegy is the same old strategy so none of their actions during this crisis are any surprise at all.
How is it taking care of their customers when they're displacing revenue customers with people redeeming seats at 4 miles + taxes? How is this any different than TODers taking seats up front? Is it okay because it's (mostly) elites redeeming the 4 milers?
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I was chatting with my personal plAAtnum concierge this morning (she called me about an upcoming flight and to make sure I got my free in flight wifi email) and she and I were laughing about this topic.

I said, 'Seems like United is doing everything possible to alienate frequent flyers, and trying to weasel out of this is just one more way. They just don't love us anymore.'

She said, 'I hear that from you guys (refugee UA 1ks) about 30 times a day. Let me reassure you, we love you guys and really want to make you happy.'

It is often inconvenient for me to fly AA (and I can't get to PVD in September at all...), but it is SO worth it. ^^^^^^
+1

I have been treated decently by AA whether I am a non status member, Gold, Plat or Exec Plat. No getting India when I call AA CS like I got with the present UA dba CO and the former UA. I got India quite a few time as an UA 1K . At least I knew enough to keep calling until I got a certain call center in the US.

For once, I was around when the mistake came out. I booked all the way to the payment page but didn't bother going all the way. Didn't want to. That was my choice. So I do not have a "dog" in this fight.
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:54 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Anyone consider writing to their respective house reps?
Old Jul 20, 12, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
It's starting to become difficult to differentiate between people who are being ridiculous and people who are being ironic.
Exhibit A:

Originally Posted by Bacopa View Post
Anyone consider writing to their respective house reps?
Shirley, you must be joking...
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post

And barring a stated change of policy from UA/CO, they are morally bound to honor it; for those of you preaching ethics....
Planes change. So do values.
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by unavaca View Post
How is it taking care of their customers when they're displacing revenue customers with people redeeming seats at 4 miles + taxes? How is this any different than TODers taking seats up front? Is it okay because it's (mostly) elites redeeming the 4 milers?
It shows they are going to own their mistakes even if they don't have to and would put customer satisfaction and reputation above immediate profits.

A lot of the changes they made are hard to feel immediately. It's hard to tell that upgrade %'s are going up, there are less cancellations, the IRROP handling is better etc. It can take time until flyers can feel comfortable that united is walking the walk rather than just talking the talk. An event of large scale such as this 4 mile incident is a quick way to demonstrate strategy change.
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
^ How many of us would want to be held to everything we ever said five years ago?
What changed in those five years? Is it no longer the right thing to do if they have to put their money where their mouth is?

+1 Particularly when so many of them claim to be UA's "most loyal customers." That's not the way folks who are "loyal" behave.
In sharp contrast to the loyalty the airlines gives to their lifetime MM for example?

Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Since folks DID have the 4 miles in their account, but UA failed to take them, isn't that like you handing the clerk some cash to pay for your discounted steak, and her staying, 'nah, just go ahead. This one's on the house!'
Nah, it would be as if the clerk left the money on the counter.
But, since all the miles are supposedly owned by the program itself, your actions are limited to providing the cash part of the deal, which of course happened. How can UA charge the customer the milage that they, not the customer own?
Anyways, if go with the not paid logic - anyone who has been charged the higher number fullfilled their obligations in full, but has been subject to a post purchase price increase.
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Someone who has filed a DOT complaint may want to point out that on multi-city bookings, there is no mileage amount displayed during the booking process on the itinerary selection page.
The no-show of miles required when doing multi-city booking is very annoying, however to be clear, the final total would show up on the screen, PRIOR making the payment to purchase the ticket.

I hope this crisis would be a serious wake up call to the new UA management that they stop kidding themselves and fooling their customers - the airline is a complete mess, in particular its IT is woefully inadequate in handing nearly every aspect of the business. They need to address the issues ASAP instead of trotting out a SVP to call elites from the top down to pacify them that "90% of the issues have been fixed."
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
For those of you that keep erroneously stating that the Wall Street Journal article was 5 years old, the statement from Robin Zumanski regarding UA's mistake fare policy was actually in 2010.

2007 was when the New Zealand fare mistake took place.

Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Planes change. So do values.
So does the meaning of "lifetime", at least to UA.
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:07 am

How many of us would want to be held to everything we ever said five years ago?
I respect your pro-UA opinion more than most in this thread.

But now you're really pushing it. So what's the limit on holding someone to what they say? 1 month, 1 year? This quote is from 2.5 years ago.
Old Jul 20, 12, 11:11 am

Gary at View from the Wing has a response that the DoT sent to somebody. It's pretty interesting to see DoT thinking, and might influence further complaints. (I hope copying here doesn't violate any T&C. Actual link provided to the source.)

The actual post

Passed along without further comment:

This is in regard to your complaint against United Airlines (UAL) about certain Mileage Plus Award tickets to, from, or via Hong Kong that could be acquired on UAL’s website between July 14 and July 15, 2012. Information that we have obtained to date from affected consumers and the airline, including screen shots taken from various steps in the booking process, reflects a discrepancy in the mileage amounts required to be paid for these tickets. More specifically, the mileage amounts, as they appeared on the website’s mileage award tables, itinerary selection page and at the top of the itinerary purchase page, were significantly higher (e.g., 320,000 miles plus taxes and fees for a roundtrip ticket) than the amount displayed as the “total price” on the itinerary purchase page (i.e., four miles plus taxes and fees). In short, it is unclear what full price was offered. We will continue to investigate this matter to determine the full price of these tickets, whether that full price was, in fact, paid by the consumers, whether the airline issued tickets upon full payment, and whether the carrier raised the price after full payment was made and the tickets were issued.

As you may be aware, the Department recently issued a regulation, 14 CFR 399.88, that is intended to prevent airlines from unfairly and deceptively raising the price of a ticket after a consumer has paid in full and purchased that ticket. As stated in the regulation, such conduct would constitute a prohibited unfair and deceptive practice under a statute enacted by Congress, 49 USC 41712. The goal of our investigation is to determine whether UAL has acted unfairly or deceptively to consumers who acquired Mileage Plus Awards tickets as described above. Please note that, regardless of the outcome of our investigation, consumers are free to pursue claims (e.g., a breach of contract claim) against the airline in an appropriate civil court for monetary damages and other remedies particular to their situation.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Aviation Industry Analyst
Aviation Consumer Protection Division
Office of the General Counsel
US Department of Transportation

Search this Thread
Search Engine: