Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Moderator note: The volunteer moderators have been working non-stop since Sunday on the HKG threads. That's not a complaint. It's what we volunteer to do. Primarily, we have been removing personal attacks against other posters. Our work is pretty invisible, but we're doing our best to protect posters. However, some of you are making things far more difficult than they need be. We are seeing some people sign up with new handles because you apparently don't want the board to know who you really are. Please be advised you will be suspended for that. We are seeing some people beat the same drum over and over again. Most people understand there is a great divide on ethics here. Repeating your thoughts won't change minds, but does bog down the thread. And lastly, some of you are trying to start new "facts-only" thread. We understand these are with good intentions, but the ones that have started have within seconds only attracted yet more posts on ethics debates. So these "facts-only" threads immediately start off in the same direction as this one. We're doing our best to keep this thread free of attacks and such, but your cooperation in realizing that some are making the task more difficult is appreciated.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation re why the "facts-only" thread I'd favored might not make sense.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:10 am

I know it's a violation of TOS to discuss moderation, but I do want to say that I appreciate the mods steering of the ship here. Other mods may have simply given up and locked us out, but instead they've allowed a fair bit of discourse while opinions are aired. And I say this as someone who's had a couple of intemperate posts deleted, which when cooler heads prevail, was the right thing to do.

^
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
For those who booked multiple itineraries/passengers: When you filed your DOT complaint, did you file one complaint for each ticket/passenger?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I know it's a violation of TOS to discuss moderation, but I do want to say that I appreciate the mods steering of the ship here. Other mods may have simply given up and locked us out, but instead they've allowed a fair bit of discourse while opinions are aired. And I say this as someone who's had a couple of intemperate posts deleted, which when cooler heads prevail, was the right thing to do.

^
+1 I'd also like to thank the mods for their hard work on this thread.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by qtpinoy54
For those who booked multiple itineraries/passengers: When you filed your DOT complaint, did you file one complaint for each ticket/passenger?
I filed one complaint per itin/confirmation #
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to read the first report of ANYONE that had only 4 miles taken out for the HKG ticket. For those without enough miles for a ticket, ZERO miles were taken out. That would indicate the ticket was NOT paid for. The taxes may have been paid but NOT the ticket. That is the reason your tickets were canceled - you never paid for them. Those of us that had the miles taken out have not had our tickets canceled. Asking for more miles would definitely fall under the issue of charging more after ticketing. Now if you actually had just 4 miles taken out then I am mistaken.
Yes, this is my thinking. And since we are talking about, we might as well talk about it.

The stuff about UA showing the correct fare is just rubbish. They showed the 'correct' fare to everyone (except those who did multi-city searches). But the fact that some people only had a partial deduction of miles (not enough to cover the whole purchase, but enough for at least 1 ticket) shows that UA is really defending their decision based on the 'non-payment' statement. My guess is that UA's counsel said that the DoT might go along with them on the 0 miles deducted ticket, but for reservations that look like a BOGO (or better), DoT is going to uphold the ruling.

So I believe their defense hinges on the 'non-payment' aspect. They've tipped their hand.

Now, for stupid analogy #5398 in this thread:

Since folks DID have the 4 miles in their account, but UA failed to take them, isn't that like you handing the clerk some cash to pay for your discounted steak, and her staying, 'nah, just go ahead. This one's on the house!'
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by lewende
I filed one complaint per itin/confirmation #
Thanks! I'll do the same...^
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by daiseee
I think they are doing their best to help AA out of bankruptcy! Thanks UA! ^
I was chatting with my personal plAAtnum concierge this morning (she called me about an upcoming flight and to make sure I got my free in flight wifi email) and she and I were laughing about this topic.

I said, 'Seems like United is doing everything possible to alienate frequent flyers, and trying to weasel out of this is just one more way. They just don't love us anymore.'

She said, 'I hear that from you guys (refugee UA 1ks) about 30 times a day. Let me reassure you, we love you guys and really want to make you happy.'

It is often inconvenient for me to fly AA (and I can't get to PVD in September at all...), but it is SO worth it. ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by hobo13

Since folks DID have the 4 miles in their account, but UA failed to take them, isn't that like you handing the clerk some cash to pay for your discounted steak, and her staying, 'nah, just go ahead. This one's on the house!'
Only if the steak cost $10K.
Suspended

Originally Posted by cblaisd

+1 Particularly when so many of them claim to be UA's "most loyal customers." That's not the way folks who are "loyal" behave.
lets be Fair the way Mgmt has been doing things (besides the HKG issue) doesnt exactly display Loyalty to its customer base either!

Its shouldnt be a 1 way street, and thus far Ive been on COdbaUAs side with the HKG case, not so with most every other problem.Especially how they Mishandled the Map your Dreams removal of miles w/o saying 1 word before doing so and apx 48 hrs before it was ending

btw if COdbaUA acted on the CXing w/o any agreement with the DoT on the HKG issue, my support for thier side will fall by the wayside, that doesnt mean I agree with everyone who had no idea it was a mistake rather then an Extremely special discounted rate (yea Right if you really believe that I have a Bridge here in Brooklyn to sell you at a great price only since I want to move to the WC so Im willing to let it go cheap)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
Yes, this is my thinking. And since we are talking about, we might as well talk about it.

The stuff about UA showing the correct fare is just rubbish. They showed the 'correct' fare to everyone (except those who did multi-city searches). But the fact that some people only had a partial deduction of miles (not enough to cover the whole purchase, but enough for at least 1 ticket) shows that UA is really defending their decision based on the 'non-payment' statement. My guess is that UA's counsel said that the DoT might go along with them on the 0 miles deducted ticket, but for reservations that look like a BOGO (or better), DoT is going to uphold the ruling.

So I believe their defense hinges on the 'non-payment' aspect. They've tipped their hand.

Now, for stupid analogy #5398 in this thread:

I still think this is a dangerous slope. You could be issued a ticket number/receipt on a paid ticket, but an airline could just decide to charge you a year later. Then that means your ticket is potentially open to being cancelled because you haven't "paid" for it. What if they charge you 99% of the fare right away, but charge you 1% on departure day? Can they cancel you the night before departure if they decide they'd rather sell the seats to a last-minute guy? Granted, that's an extreme scenario, but what about if an airline is considering cutting service on a route but isn't sure. They sell tickets, don't collect full payment, and then can just cancel the route and your tickets without having to reaccommodate you.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I was chatting with my personal plAAtnum concierge this morning (she called me about an upcoming flight and to make sure I got my free in flight wifi email) and she and I were laughing about this topic.

I said, 'Seems like United is doing everything possible to alienate frequent flyers, and trying to weasel out of this is just one more way. They just don't love us anymore.'

She said, 'I hear that from you guys (refugee UA 1ks) about 30 times a day. Let me reassure you, we love you guys and really want to make you happy.'

It is often inconvenient for me to fly AA (and I can't get to PVD in September at all...), but it is SO worth it. ^^^^^^
Don't get to mushy with AA. They failed to honor a first class price mistake with Cathay Pacific last year where people paid $3700 for the tickets. This was prior to DOT rulings. No doubt today they would have had to honor.

Things are great until they are not....
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:25 am

What does the word "Total" Mean?

I'm flummoxed by UA's reply to this:

Because your account does not have enough miles to complete the purchase, we have canceled the ticket for non-payment and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.
When I purchased my ticket, the "quote" screen, before I hit purchase, said "Total Miles: 4." The receipt also said 4. So what does the word "Total" mean to United?

To me, "total" means "net". And the receipt confirmed my understanding of the word.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Don't get to mushy with AA. They failed to honor a first class price mistake with Cathay Pacific last year where people paid $3700 for the tickets. This was prior to DOT rulings. No doubt today they would have had to honor.

Things are great until they are not....
Hey, we're newlyweds. Forgive my PDA. ^
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not a single form of compensation from UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.