Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 4:44 am

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
I'm out $4.52 on this transaction. I happen to carry a balance on the credit card I charged this to, and it has a 24% interest rate = 2% per month. The statement just closed, so United's charges are on the statement subject to interest. $226 times 2 percent = $4.52 (approximately).

07/17/12 07/17/12 INTEREST CHARGE-PURCHASES 42.16
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxxx41 75.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxx530 75.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxxx96 38.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxx385 38.00
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:51 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
Not one FTer has posted that they have been contacted.

Want to take a bet that there are no reports of such until at least 6AM CDT tomorrow? I'm giving you 9 hours to cash-in.

If you don't take the bet, I stand by my position. They are 'in the process' of contacting...... no one.
Oops.

Imagine that. In 2012, a Fortune 500 company is able to send email communications to its customers after standard business hours. Even UA IT can figure that one out
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
UA-- regardless of whether or not this ends up being honored, sending passive-aggressive cancellation emails to your customers is not the right way to handle these things. "recently requested the ticketing"? Someone needs to have a chat with your communications folks.
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
It's worth nothing that there is precedent from US Airways that award ticket discounts / specials have been offered which are not reflected on the award chart.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by uva185 View Post
It's worth nothing that there is precedent from US Airways that award ticket discounts / specials have been offered which are not reflected on the award chart.
Why look so far away? Even United runs discounted mileage awards that are not in their chart.
http://blog.frequentflier.com/2012/0...pe-africa.html
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
While I feel no guilt/remorse at taking advantage of error fares from other airlines, I don't have a bitter sense of, "I put up with a lot of crap from you, and I deserve to get even." It's shocking how much of that is present on this thread.
I think the tone of this thread would have been radically different pre-3/3.

I also think UA's handling of the matter would have been radically different pre-CO. That doesn't mean tickets would have necessarily been honored as ticketed, but the tone of the responses would have been less aggressive towards its customers, and resulted in less retaliation by customers.

I think UA's cavalier attitude and handling of the matter combined with the post-3/3 issues is probably agitating people more than the actual outcome itself. Especially after UA's recent withdrawal of misposted bonus miles in the "Map Your Dreams" promo, UA has communicated a "holier than thou" attitude whereby they think they're able to simply reverse their mistakes with impunity.

And as a result of UA's behavior, I think what you're seeing is that many of UA's customers want to squeeze blood out of the evil globe.

Originally Posted by frecuente-flyer View Post
Because of the nature of this particular case, I wasn't expecting much from them after cancellation (well maybe hoping for some voucher or miles), and would have simply walked away with a sincere apology, but after seeing the tone of their response, makes me think twice.
To the point above.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by Lack View Post
Why look so far away? Even United runs discounted mileage awards that are not in their chart.
http://blog.frequentflier.com/2012/0...pe-africa.html
Good to know!
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by DillMan View Post
Ah yes, the age-old "I hate government meddling unless it benefits me" argument.
That personally was my big moral quandary here. We got 4 tickets, because "what the heck". But if they were allowed to stand (which legally I think they should) it would only serve to bolster my belief that ridiculous, ambiguous, and ever changing regulations are destroying private business (big and small) in America. Don't want to get political here, but explain my own dilemma. As soon as I had those tickets, I wanted the rule enforced. It was my right, daminit! I still think, as the rule is written and currently on the books, that the tickets should be enforced. But I also think that the rule is way too ambiguous, and if it really means any mistake then it should be amended to only allow for mistakes that are not reasonably apparent to a consumer of ordinary intelligence. Otherwise you have a government that picks winners and losers, and I don't want a government with that much discretion over private business.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:29 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by RenHoek View Post
I'm out $4.52 on this transaction. I happen to carry a balance on the credit card I charged this to, and it has a 24% interest rate = 2% per month. The statement just closed, so United's charges are on the statement subject to interest. $226 times 2 percent = $4.52 (approximately).

07/17/12 07/17/12 INTEREST CHARGE-PURCHASES 42.16
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxxx41 75.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxx530 75.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxxx96 38.00
07/15/12 07/17/12 UNITED 01xxx385 38.00
Should have used Amex

Originally Posted by channa View Post
I think the tone of this thread would have been radically different pre-3/3.

I also think UA's handling of the matter would have been radically different pre-CO. That doesn't mean tickets would have necessarily been honored as ticketed, but the tone of the responses would have been less aggressive towards its customers, and resulted in less retaliation by customers.

I think UA's cavalier attitude and handling of the matter combined with the post-3/3 issues is probably agitating people more than the actual outcome itself. Especially after UA's recent withdrawal of misposted bonus miles in the "Map Your Dreams" promo, UA has communicated a "holier than thou" attitude whereby they think they're able to simply reverse their mistakes with impunity.

And as a result of UA's behavior, I think what you're seeing is that many of UA's customers want to squeeze blood out of the evil globe.

To the point above.
In general I agree with everything you just said. (like I usually do But there is also a lot of good old fashioned greed involved here. Look at who's posting; sure are a lot of new members on FT for this one, people with no status on UA, etc......I think we have a big combination of people that are justifiably angry at UA and want their pound of flesh, with a whole bunch of opportunists built in

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 12 at 5:35 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by channa View Post

+1. At least, IMO, the tone issues and the handling is pure CO. It is how one treats one's customers when you have a hub captive network.
As always, we'll see how it plays out in the longer term. Good work!, HouCrew.

Dave
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:45 am

Does anyone think it's worthwhile to note that although the email says they aren't purchased or ticketed, they are allowing people to fly until july 21? How do they reconcile those 2 points?
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
so, um...in addition to canceling my two tickets to HKG for october, UA also cancelled my two f saver awards to SYD (at 150k each) for november. miles haven't been redeposited. anyone?

Last edited by karenkay; Jul 20, 12 at 6:13 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
I can't believe how many people are upset that they were not allowed to loot free first class tickets from an uttended store.
+1

It's been a sorry spectacle all around.
Old Jul 20, 12, 5:58 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
FWIW I don't think UAL have come to agreement with DOT. If they hand, I believe they would have mentioned it in their statements. I still think the DOT is saying they likely have to honor it and UAL are just throwing the dice, relying on their view that the award chart and booking process showed the correct number of miles, and cancelling.

So anyone who wants to continue the fight should certainly be filing with the DOT
Old Jul 20, 12, 6:03 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
FWIW I don't think UAL have come to agreement with DOT. If they hand, I believe they would have mentioned it in their statements. I still think the DOT is saying they likely have to honor it and UAL are just throwing the dice, relying on their view that the award chart and booking process showed the correct number of miles, and cancelling.

So anyone who wants to continue the fight should certainly be filing with the DOT
I'm filing a complaint for sure. I don't undererstand why so many people on this thread think that United should not have to pay for a mistake. I always have to pay for my mistakes if I book a wrong ticket or need to cancel or change. Seriously, why is it ok for United to get away scott free?

I'm sure they make enough on change fees each day to pay for quite a few of these first class tickets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: