Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 1:15 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 1K
Those of you who are trying to get something for nothing - get real. This is the true definition of "over-entitled."

UA has many customer service problems already. I'd rather have them fix those instead of wasting time on this.
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:22 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by wyogold View Post
Does anyone know what happens when DOT levies a fine against an airline? Do they pocket it, does it go into some general fund, does (part of it) go to the passenger?
The customer does not get it. I imagine it goes into the DOT budget.
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
We have a lot of happy 1Ks over at AA this year. I'm sure AA will appreciate the additional business from any UA flyers wanting to make the move. Don't expect any 4 mile award tickets, there, though.
That what really shocks me about this whole thing, is how much UA's "most loyal customers" hate UA. I'm a hub captive to AA, but I <3 the EXP desk, and I find AA to have reasonable award availability. If there was a jumbo mistake on AA, I would really think hard about taking AAdvantage of it. I certainly wouldn't file a DOT complaint over it. Partly for selfish reasons, as I don't want a bunch of black marks in my file when I need a favor from AA. But partly because AA is generally a good company to do business with, and I like them. You won't find any 4 mile mistake fares at AA, because they generally have good web technology. Even if some things are a little behind they curve, they generally don't release stuff to their website unless it works. And when they make mistakes, they usually fix them or make a decent effort to make things right.

While I feel no guilt/remorse at taking advantage of error fares from other airlines, I don't have a bitter sense of, "I put up with a lot of crap from you, and I deserve to get even." It's shocking how much of that is present on this thread.
Originally Posted by blug View Post
Me neither. This mistake is so obvious that I think most, if not all, of those who claimed in this thread to have booked non-refundable hotels were just saying it for whatever reason incomprehensible to me.
They were trying to escalate UA's legal obligations. Past DOT interventions in error fares have made the airlines pay for any non-refundable travel expenses incurred as a result of the issued tickets. If you escalate the amount of money UA will lose by canceling your ticket, at some point, it makes more sense for them to simply honor the ticket. For example, what if your ticket was to Africa and you put a $10k deposit down on a 2-week all-inclusive safari? Maybe honoring the ticket is cheaper than paying your bills.
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
So if the stock nose-dived, and UA took a financial hit in the tens of millions of dollars if this offer had been offered systemwide, it's just a cost of doing business? Can't say I agree with that perspective but certainly an interesting point of view. If I was a UA shareholder, I'd be pretty upset if the stock nose-dived as F cabins worldwide started filling up with 4 mile passengers.
And perhaps at the next shareholder's meeting, you would force the Board to appoint a competent CTO. Maybe UA doesn't make 4 mile mistakes every day, but their IT systems, in particular their award systems, are a joke. Not locking the store? They have an open-air shelter with holes in the roof.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jul 20, 12 at 1:27 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:32 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
Those of you who are trying to get something for nothing - get real. This is the true definition of "over-entitled."

UA has many customer service problems already. I'd rather have them fix those instead of wasting time on this.
Something for nothing? It's the other way around. I had a ticket (something). They canceled my ticket and I got nothing.

When I want to cancel a ticket I booked with united I have to pay them a cancellation fee. Then they go sell the ticket to someone else. Or they give it to someone else on the flight that they overbooked anyway. They are the ones that continually get something for nothing, not me.
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by bitachu View Post
the reason I still have hope(for some sort of apology and/or compensation) is the fact that UA's cancellation email made not apology or accepted no blame..hence they didn't want to accept blame...if it were really over they would have apologized to everyone and welcomed them back...now they are preparing for a big fight(if that isn't obvious enough)
They won't apologize because that would mean accepting their fault, and they are afraid many would demand compensation.

Because of the nature of this particular case, I wasn't expecting much from them after cancellation (well maybe hoping for some voucher or miles), and would have simply walked away with a sincere apology, but after seeing the tone of their response, makes me think twice.
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:44 am
uwr

Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
That what really shocks me about this whole thing, is how much UA's "most loyal customers" hate UA. I'm a hub captive to AA, but I <3 the EXP desk, and I find AA to have reasonable award availability. If there was a jumbo mistake on AA, I would really think hard about taking AAdvantage of it.
Many of UA's frequent flyers are frustrated about IT and customer service issues related to the merger. I doubt that more than a tiny percentage actually "hate" the airline.

This board (especially this thread) is not necessarily representative of UA elites in general.

Originally Posted by hcampana View Post
Something for nothing? It's the other way around. I had a ticket (something). They canceled my ticket and I got nothing.
I stand by my comment.

UA has published rules about the miles needed for the flight to HKG, and people tried to get a 150,000-mile ticket (something) for 8 miles ("nothing").

If you don't like the way you were treated by UA, complain to the DOT and/or move to another airline. I doubt the DOT will rule in your favor, and I doubt that any other airline would honor this type of mistake.

Last edited by uwr; Jul 20, 12 at 2:11 am Reason: typo - changed "an" to "a"
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:49 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

When I want to cancel a ticket I booked with united I have to pay them a cancellation fee. Then they go sell the ticket to someone else. Or they give it to someone else on the flight that they overbooked anyway. They are the ones that continually get something for nothing, not me.
What is UA's cnclation fee on an awad ticket for a 5k? And you got nothing? Then you paid nothing. They gave you back (or are giving you back) exactly what you gave in exchange for it. Most purchases are considered "equitable". A person gives something in exchange for somthing of equal (or close to it) value. You gave 4 miles for a ticket, UA gave you 4 miles for the same ticket. Nothing lost there. Perhaps it was 8 miles...in either case, noting was lost, so your theory that you gave something and got nothing...well, it doesn't hold water. You got back what you gave, and are at the same point you started at. You have neither gained, nor lost a thing from this experience.

Last edited by fastair; Jul 20, 12 at 1:59 am
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by fastair View Post
What is UA's cnclation fee on an awad ticket for a 5k?
usually double or triple the normal amount.

actually no lie, I was trying to change a ticket once and the agent on the phone tried to charge me over double the change fee... they only reason I knew this was wrong was because my boyfriend had just changed his ticket, (same ticket, differnt change) and was changed 100 eur, then when I tried to change mine they wanted to charge 250usd.. I pointed this out and the agent just said, oh.. yeah.. you're right the fee is 100 eur.. real cool united..
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:04 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
usually double or triple the normal amount.

actually no lie, I was trying to change a ticket once and the agent on the phone tried to charge me over double the change fee... they only reason I knew this was wrong was because my boyfriend had just changed his ticket, (same ticket, differnt change) and was changed 100 eur, then when I tried to change mine they wanted to charge 250usd.. I pointed this out and the agent just said, oh.. yeah.. you're right the fee is 100 eur.. real cool united..
Ouch! I hope you got that straightened out. But this is an award ticket. The redeposit fee for a 1k is waived. If you area 1k 5x over, it would be waived the same as if you were only a 1k 1 time over.

I really wonder where they got that reservationist from. Looking up change fees is a very simple process. Both before the CO takever and after it. That is ticketing 101. You don't even need to know how to issue a ticket to be able to look up a change fee on a revenue ticket. (sorry , I edited my previous post as you were replying. I didn't mean to change the content in midstream.)
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:09 am
uwr

You gave 4 miles for a ticket, UA gave you 4 miles for the same ticket. Nothing lost there. Perhaps it was 8 miles...in either case, noting was lost, so your theory that you gave something and got nothing...well, it doesn't hold water. You got back what you gave, and are at the same point you started at. You have neither gained, nor lost a thing from this experience.
+1
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
So, does anyone know if folks are currently stuck in Hong Kong after the cancellation??
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:15 am
uwr

Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
So, does anyone know if folks are currently stuck in Hong Kong after the cancellation??
See the first page of this thread.

UA Insider stated that the airline will honor tickets of passengers who have already begun travel and those who are ticketed to travel by July 21.
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
See the first page of this thread.

UA Insider stated that the airline will honor tickets of passengers who have already begun travel and those who are ticketed to travel by July 21.
Here's the post:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:

[...]
[*]For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.

[...]

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Jul 20, 12, 2:45 am

I really wonder where they got that reservationist from. Looking up change fees is a very simple process. Both before the CO takever and after it. That is ticketing 101. You don't even need to know how to issue a ticket to be able to look up a change fee on a revenue ticket. (sorry , I edited my previous post as you were replying. I didn't mean to change the content in midstream.)
Are you kidding? it was a flat out lie. United has lied to me over the phone so many times it's not funny. You are right. She knew the right price. even if she didn't you would think the reservation system would autmoatically calculate the right change fee.. It always calculates the right fees in other cases...

btw the 5k thing is a joke I'm the lowest of low on the status scale
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:18 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Let me say again what I think is happening is United is trying to get away with all of these violations of DOT regulations by painting a picture of what happened that is UNTRUE. I think this based on their statements about the issue. It seems like they're trying to make a case that the "correct" price was displayed all the way through and somehow the computer made an error at the end and issued tickets without checking for or deducting the payment. This is NOT WHAT HAPPENED. UNITED HAS LIED TO DOT TO GET AWAY WITH THIS. Everyone make it clear that the price displayed was "4 miles + taxes/fees" at all stages of the ACTUAL PURCHASE (after specific flights were selected) and that United successfully charged the monetary part and had access to and could have deducted the miles portion at will like always. Be sure to explain these things in your complaint so it becomes clear to DOT that United lied to them to get away with this.
Yeah yeah. We know that's what you think. I give you high high marks for at least saying "you think" as opposed to "you know" which is what most "experts" say on FT
THE Bottom line is I'm sure United showed themselves in the most favorable light when talking to the DOT. But the people at the DOT were not born yesterday. I'm pretty sure they know what happened

Someone should get hold of a well known respected travel journalist like R Quest on CNN who has interviewed SMI/J many times and ask him to ask "respectfully" this one question; UA said a few years ago it was policy to honor mistake fares, is it now UA's policy to NO LONGER honor those fares"

Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
I am not upset, I have my eTicket printed from last sunday. without a cancelation email of my flight, I am heading to the airport on the date of my flight. We'll see how UA and DOT will do then.
Don't forget to save your taxi receipts to and FROM the airport on the same day. You'll need those when trying to get reimbursed for the trip that you DID NOT go on

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 12 at 4:35 am Reason: use multi-quote please
Old Jul 20, 12, 4:40 am

Wow... some people are actually getting this honoured. Can't believe I wasn't online during the weekend.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: