Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 20, 12, 12:26 am
  #2101  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
There were many small traders that had stop loss orders execute at 1 cent per share on some large companies, Accenture was one of them I remember and Exelon. Some of these traders were completely wiped-out on paper. The SEC went back and voided all of the wildly underpriced (and overpriced) trades and made these traders whole.
Once again, this is completely different than this situation. Can everyone stop with the ridiculous analogies that aren't the same thing as what's happening here? You know what's like airline tickets? Airline tickets are!!! Airlines are regulated by the DOT and have their own regulations including the "mistake fare has to be honored" regulation that is very new and that seems to make a lot of people get confused and think that these confirmed/ticketed reservations could be cancelled based on a supposed price mistake. They can't. This is a special rule for airlines and airline tickets, stop trying to reason otherwise based on other situations.
Yammer is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:27 am
  #2102  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Posts: 1,461
the reason I still have hope(for some sort of apology and/or compensation) is the fact that UA's cancellation email made not apology or accepted no blame..hence they didn't want to accept blame...if it were really over they would have apologized to everyone and welcomed them back...now they are preparing for a big fight(if that isn't obvious enough)
bitachu is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:30 am
  #2103  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
I suspect that isn't how DoT is seeing it. They are seeing it (as does UA) as a billing error. Customer knew the correct amount, booked a ticket without sufficient miles, system error allowed ticket to process. Now canceled for insufficient payment. Note that if you had sufficient miles those were deducted per the published chart and the in process of purchase display. I understand that a lot of folks here don't like that interpretation but it seems to be a reasonably valid one that DoT can adhere to. Notion of increasing price or cancelling a correctly paid for ticket never even comes up in that world view. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that UA and DoT don't view it that way. And - it allows DoT to avoid a ruling it probably is loathe to make due to common sense issues. My guess is that one fallout of this will be some amending of the rules to cover cases like this one so as to make clear that obvious errors that any reasonable customer should have seen as such are not covered by the rules.
If that is what has been conveyed to DOT (which is what I think has happened) then United has lied to DOT. The 4 miles + taxes/fees price was displayed prominently before and after purchase, on the receipt, on the itinerary, etc.
Yammer is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:31 am
  #2104  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 3,580
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Once again, this is completely different than this situation. Can everyone stop with the ridiculous analogies that aren't the same thing as what's happening here? You know what's like airline tickets? Airline tickets are!!! Airlines are regulated by the DOT and have their own regulations including the "mistake fare has to be honored" regulation that is very new and that seems to make a lot of people get confused and think that these confirmed/ticketed reservations could be cancelled based on a supposed price mistake. They can't. This is a special rule for airlines and airline tickets, stop trying to reason otherwise based on other situations.
Someone on your side brought this up, not me. See below:

Originally Posted by cdegt
You just totally ignored the fact was UA screwed itself. If you are a trader, would you be able to void any one transaction you made just because it was a wrong decision will bankrupt you?

Tonight's lottery result void because someone hit the jackpot. Let's roll the balls one more time~~

I was responding to cdegt and then you chimed in. You have only yourself to blame.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:35 am
  #2105  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Posts: 5,819
Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
I am not upset, I have my eTicket printed from last sunday. without a cancelation email of my flight, I am heading to the airport on the date of my flight. We'll see how UA and DOT will do then.
Without any rancor or judgment, I will give my prediction.

1. You will get an email before the date of your flight. [EDIT: I posted this at the time I read your message. Later messages show that the emails already began to go out.]

2. When you arrive at the airport UA will advise you that you don't have a reservation on the flight. When you show them your eTicket they will either:
a. Immediately inform you that those tickets were all cancelled and you should have received an email telling you.
b. They will enter the PNR into the system and advise you that the reservation was cancelled for non-payment. No matter what you say, they won't give you a boarding pass.

3. You will write to the DOT and inform them of what happened. By that time they will have a form letter which will tell you their position (which will be something like "we investigated and determined that this particular instance is not subject to enforcement under our regulations.")

Last edited by sbrower; Jul 20, 12 at 12:46 am
sbrower is online now  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:35 am
  #2106  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,269
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
If that is what has been conveyed to DOT (which is what I think has happened) then United has lied to DOT. The 4 miles + taxes/fees price was displayed prominently before and after purchase, on the receipt, on the itinerary, etc.
so far 26 posts of which 22 were in this thread alone , the other 4 were in 1 other thread.Im shocked that you actually posted in another thread besides just this 1

If CO didnt get the DoTs permission to do what it did then if the DoT determines they were at fault they will be Fined,its rather simple no matter how much you want to scream at the top of your lungs its not FAIR if the DoT told them they can thats that

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 20, 12 at 4:14 am Reason: inappropriate content removed
craz is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:35 am
  #2107  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,400
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
If that is what has been conveyed to DOT (which is what I think has happened) then United has lied to DOT. The 4 miles + taxes/fees price was displayed prominently before and after purchase, on the receipt, on the itinerary, etc.
Perhaps but realize that consumer protection is not meant to bankrupt or punish disproportionately random mistakes. Reality is that the DoT administration probably wants no part of an enforcement over something that has nothing to do with consumer protection as understood by the majority of Americans. If this interpretation provides them with a way to avoid a silly ruling in that regard I am sure they will take it. Then they will figure out how to provide common sense wiggle room for the future. I think this is a much more realistic view of the Realpolitik at work here. Fantasize all you want about what you'd like DoT to do but realize that punishment that is out of line with the violation isn't what things like DoT are about. Perhaps after the dust settles they will levy a wrist slap fine of UA for sloppy bookkeeping but that is likely all that will happen.
pdx1M is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:36 am
  #2108  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,763
Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
Tonight's lottery result void because someone hit the jackpot. Let's roll the balls one more time~~
You're not too far off the mark here. There have been casinos where a big jackpot has come up and the payout has been voided due to a technical glitch. Here's one:
$42 Million Jackpot Was a Mistake, Casino Says Lots of these stories out there.
tom911 is online now  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:37 am
  #2109  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
There were many small traders that had stop loss orders execute at 1 cent per share on some large companies, Accenture was one of them I remember and Exelon. Some of these traders were completely wiped-out on paper. The SEC went back and voided all of the wildly underpriced (and overpriced) trades and made these traders whole.
you still don't get me. Can you cancel any done deal by yourself? SEC intervention is another story. As simple as I booked a wrong date with UA and I want to change it. UA has a rule, I have to pay to correct my fault.
cdegt is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:39 am
  #2110  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Do you think if you went to a best buy and tried to buy a $4000 TV and it rang up at 4 cents they would honor the price?
Why not I just bought 6 nikon s3300 for 39.99 each when it was supposed to sell for over $139.99 each. Best buy honored it with no problems, why shouldn't UA honor it's mistakes?
EWRHKG is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:40 am
  #2111  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 3,580
Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
you still don't get me. Can you cancel any done deal by yourself? SEC intervention is another story. As simple as I booked a wrong date with UA and I want to change it. UA has a rule, I have to pay to correct my fault.
Well, I would argue that this 4-mile fare error is a Black Swan event, and yes, when things like that happen, there is often a way out.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that UA did this without DOT approval.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:44 am
  #2112  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
Perhaps but realize that consumer protection is not meant to bankrupt or punish disproportionately random mistakes. Reality is that the DoT administration probably wants no part of an enforcement over something that has nothing to do with consumer protection as understood by the majority of Americans. If this interpretation provides them with a way to avoid a silly ruling in that regard I am sure they will take it. Then they will figure out how to provide common sense wiggle room for the future. I think this is a much more realistic view of the Realpolitik at work here. Fantasize all you want about what you'd like DoT to do but realize that punishment that is out of line with the violation isn't what things like DoT are about. Perhaps after the dust settles they will levy a wrist slap fine of UA for sloppy bookkeeping but that is likely all that will happen.
Why should Korean Airlines have to eat a very large loss over the RGN C tickets then? Because they're not an American based company? If I was Korean Airlines, I would be furious at the unequal treatment.
Yammer is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:49 am
  #2113  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: All of them...
Posts: 361
Didn't get an email yety
chff is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 12:54 am
  #2114  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vienna, Austria
Programs: united, delta, british
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
And now the angry ones come out of the woodwork saying they deserve this or deserve that, trying to make up for real or perceived slights from the merger .

Come on people, we all know this was a mistake. Have some decency.
Have some decency? This is more of a, "what goes around comes around." United has been treating everyone like carp for quite a while now, no mercy, and any troubles they reap from this are richly deserved.
bkcarolina is offline  
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:01 am
  #2115  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Posts: 9,644
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
Why should Korean Airlines have to eat a very large loss over the RGN C tickets then? Because they're not an American based company? If I was Korean Airlines, I would be furious at the unequal treatment.
But you are not Korean Airlines and they are not you, so your feeling of what that corporation should feel may not be representative of them. Let Korean Airlines decide how they feel, not you. Perhaps you should write to KE and ask for a soundbite on their feelings on this and then see if you could become a PR person/spokesman for them. If you can and decide to accept the position, you can fly all over the world for prices like this, provided you don't mind flying standby.
fastair is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: