Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 19, 12, 11:10 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by blug View Post
I didn't say whether it was opinion or fact. Why do you assume I was talking about a fact??
I apologized above. Did not see whole quote. Your was first I read w out morning coffee and I read it wrong. Apologized up thread to you
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by flyer31 View Post
Does this embarrassment apply to the big corporations or only to American people.
Short answer: no. But I'm willing to consider changing my answer if you can provide proof of a company from days gone by taking a multi-million dollar hit for a mistake similar to this.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Here's my 2c. In my opinion (which is not a fact), UA's action was fair enough.

When you make a mistake which negatively impacts someone (e.g., makes someone lose money), then you need to pay some penalty for the result of the mistake.

However, this mistake by UA is different. Everyone with a normal brain definitely knows that 4 miles for a round trip is a mistake (again, my opinion, not a fact). People just want to take advantage of UA's mistake.

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of others' mistake, but meanwhile there's no reason to get mad when they discover the mistake and try to stop you from taking advantage of it.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & MM, HH Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace View Post
Despite what the rest of the world thinks, we also have this thing called Common Sense

... (putting soap box away)
I would not put that box away. Common sense is the major player here, and that is where the matter should stop. Silliness, all of this.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:15 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Love their wording. "Requested ticketing?" More like "received ticketing." As for the number of miles "provided during your transaction," that number was 4. Even if there are other numbers elsewhere, the number listed was 4.

At the risk of causing the UA board snobs to start snickering again ("You have less than 1000 posts and aren't 1K/GS"), this really has ticked me off. Rules are rules, and United cant live by its own. Either the DOT is asleep at the wheel or UA just figured it made more sense to swallow the fines...
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by weezl View Post
I would not put that box away. Common sense is the major player here, and that is where the matter should stop. Silliness, all of this.
Thanks. But these people are not in the mood for what you and I are offering up. We have a guy one page back who is absolutely furious at the cancellation email he received - he actually BELIEVED he was going to HKG for 8 miles and $40!

And the scariest part: they're all threatening to come over to AA and One World!
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Anyone else get this disingenuous garbage email?

"Update regarding award itinerary
that includes Hong Kong

Dear N1120A,

You recently requested the ticketing of MileagePlus award travel to, from or through Hong Kong (confirmation XXXXXX). Because your account does not have enough miles to complete the purchase, we have canceled the ticket for non-payment and refunded all taxes and fees. The number of miles required for this award was provided during your transaction and is published on the MileagePlus travel award chart on our website.

If you have already canceled the ticket, please disregard this email.

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to serving you in the future."

The number of miles that was "provided during my transaction" is 4 miles per ticket. I do not understand this and United will not be serving me in the future.

I am absolutely furious.
Interesting how the email from United makes no reference to the IT glitch that caused the whole fiasco. Another observation is the language "You requested the ticketing...", never recognizing that UA actually ticketed in error. Quite the passive agressive communication, IMO. No apologies for the confusion, etc.

DOT complaint filed.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

When you make a mistake which negatively impacts someone (e.g., makes someone lose money), then you need to pay some penalty for the result of the mistake.

However, this mistake by UA is different. Everyone with a normal brain definitely knows that 4 miles for a round trip is a mistake (again, my opinion, not a fact). People just want to take advantage of UA's mistake.

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of others' mistake....
I was with you until that clause

I can only hope you'll be proven right

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by gvol21 View Post
Love their wording. "Requested ticketing?" More like "received ticketing." As for the number of miles "provided during your transaction," that number was 4. Even if there are other numbers elsewhere, the number listed was 4.

At the risk of causing the UA board snobs to start snickering again ("You have less than 1000 posts and aren't 1K/GS"), this really has ticked me off. Rules are rules, and United cant live by its own. Either the DOT is asleep at the wheel or UA just figured it made more sense to swallow the fines...

They might have shot themselves in the foot with that comment. "Requested Ticketing". We all got eTickets, that's means a ticket was issued/received. I want to thank UA for providing more tidbits...

There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of others' mistake, but meanwhile there's no reason to get mad when they discover the mistake and try to stop you from taking advantage of it.
I am not mad at United but I want them to be fair to me. When I do a mistake I am always asked to pay all kind of fees and charges and when United goofs up they get off so easily...
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by koopas View Post
Interesting how the email from United makes no reference to the IT glitch that caused the whole fiasco. Another observation is the language "You requested the ticketing...", never recognizing that UA actually ticketed in error. Quite the passive agressive communication, IMO. No apologies for the confusion, etc.

DOT complaint filed.
They're a bunch of scumbags at United. Not even an offer made to cancel although they'd sure charge all of us for cancelling/changing anything.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace:18966626
Thanks. But these people are not in the mood for what you and I are offering up. We have a guy one page back who is absolutely furious at the cancellation email he received - he actually BELIEVED he was going to HKG for 8 miles and $40!

And the scariest part: they're all threatening to come over to AA and One World!
Get off your high horse will you? People are mad over the way UA handled this whole thing (i.e. No communication and no advance notice of cancellation).
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Do you think if you went to a best buy and tried to buy a $4000 TV and it rang up at 4 cents they would honor the price?
Actually, yes. If they didn't, they would get a big citation from the local department of weights and measures or whatever agency handles such things.

1) I've flown AA almost exclusively over the last 3 months.

2) I believed a contract that I made with United would be honored.

3) My being furious is, as much or more, related to the handling of the situation that the actual breach of the contract by United.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:24 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic

He believed, yes, based on a ticketed agreement with United to provide X service at Y price. Is it his fault that United doesn't have better quality control checks implemented in IT?

Seriously, all entitlement aside, what seems to get folks going is the ridiculousness of the deal. $40 and 4 miles for F to HKG. The rules should not be applied any differently compared with $4000 and 400 miles, or even if it was $40 and 4 miles less than the ordinary full price. The extent of the mistake should be irrelevant when dealing with such regulations, even if "common sense" dictates otherwise, and especially when a precedent is being set. We should carefully consider the long-term implications of this.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Sheesh! A few pages back everyone was furious that UA hadn't sent email to tell people that their itineraries had been cancelled. Now they send the email and folks are furious at the wording and that they got it? They said that they would cancel, they did that, they sent email telling folks that they had cancelled. Run to DoT if you want but they have done what was reasonable given that they decided to not honor the itineraries.

A little common sense about this entire matter sure would be nice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: