Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 19, 12, 11:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Just my theory... United did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that while they might DoT fines. These fines would only apply when a violation had been filed.

Example: 1000 tickets sold. 1000 tickets canceled. 50 DoT complaints field. United would get hit by 50 x (Fines) versus 1000 x (Fines)...

The DoT doesn't have any access to United system to see how many cancellation occurred, so they must be using user complaints to gauge the number of cancellations.

United applied some quick game theory and said 50 complaints x 27,000 or whatever the number is is less than 1000 unsold seats (just a guess) in F.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:39 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by blug View Post
Just a tip for those furious: Delta would never cancel an award ticket without notification. If this is so important, give Delta a try.
Aloologies . I could have sworn your quote was different. That's what happens when you just wake up and start reading before having coffee

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Jul 20, 12 at 12:08 am
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Do you think if you went to a best buy and tried to buy a $4000 TV and it rang up at 4 cents they would honor the price?

Originally Posted by cdegt:18966485
Originally Posted by spsawant View Post
That's not the right analogy. The correct analogy would be as follows:
The Phone Cards were always advertised at the right amounts, it's just the Cashier charged you 4 cents instead of 500$ and the Customer who knew about the error decided to keep those Phone Cards which really amounts to stealing. Yes you do have a Receipt showing 4 cents as the Price of the 500$ Phone Card, but you knew all along that the price was 500$ and still decided to keep it as the Cashier did not realize his mistake.
What is the practice in the US? I did experience price error in a US store and I got it honored as tagged price. In Canada, the store will sell it to you at tagged price plus 10% of price difference between tagged and actual price up to $10. It's all about what the "tagged price" is. It seemed andyh64000 means a "tagged price error", but you guys are more talking about a card transaction mistake.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mnscout View Post
One could argue that it would be foolish to leave a store unattended. One could further the argument that if a store owner is really that foolish, he deserves to suffer the consequences.
Although surely most folks don't seriously want to argue that two wrongs make a right.

Or maybe they do....

On the other side, someone who has gotten their tickets at the price he knows is wrong has no moral right to get on the high horse.
Exactly.

I'm sure the United made their cost/benefit analyzes of the situation and decided that pissing of a few hundred customers would be a more desirable outcome than honoring thousands of free first class tickets
I think that's probably pretty close indeed.

--which probably would've been catastrophic to their business.
It would appear that that may be what some of United's "most loyal customers" [sic] would prefer.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:45 pm

No...clearly UA found a non-moron at DOT and explained the situation.

Originally Posted by jfkeze:18966494
Just my theory... United did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that while they might DoT fines. These fines would only apply when a violation had been filed.

Example: 1000 tickets sold. 1000 tickets canceled. 50 DoT complaints field. United would get hit by 50 x (Fines) versus 1000 x (Fines)...

The DoT doesn't have any access to United system to see how many cancellation occurred, so they must be using user complaints to gauge the number of cancellations.

United applied some quick game theory and said 50 complaints x 27,000 or whatever the number is is less than 1000 unsold seats (just a guess) in F.

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by teddy25 View Post
I will call 1-800-Ask-Gary!!!!!
Not sure what that is but good luck. Remember not to make eye contact with any of your new friends while 'Gary' is doing his job; and don't drop anything!

I got an $810 r/t on AA to PVG. If you want to get to Asia, UA is matching it... (or was a few days ago)

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by andyh64000 View Post
Do you think if you went to a best buy and tried to buy a $4000 TV and it rang up at 4 cents they would honor the price?
Not the same.

If you went to Best Buy, bought that TV, took it home, and enjoyed it for 4 days and THEN they show up and tell you that it wasn't a promotion after all and try to take your TV... Well, in my state there is a little detail called castle law.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:46 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by wilp888 View Post
I think United should take a long serious look at what happened. Sure, there were some who wanted something for nothing but I suspect, from a lot of comments on this thread, that some people just wanted to get back at United because they were so angry with the company and wanted to get back at United in any way possible. The total and complete lack of sympathy and concern for the company from many of its long time customers is indicative of the poisoned relationship that exists. I hope United realize how unhealthy and dangerous this situation is.
This is EXACTLY what I think may be the underlying current going on on this thread. After being nickled and dimed to DEATH, $150 change fees, this fee, that fee, taking promised benefits away, all of that - this is what you get, a group of people, some of the company's most loyal customers, who in a way wish to "get back" at the company.

Even the curt response, which surprised me, shows this is not a caring company. We are all "over-entitled" and a burden to them. Look how long it took for them to even respond, and when they did, it was very poor damage control.

I will bet if they said "we are sorry for the mistake, for those holding tickets, we will cancel the itinerary but we will credit your account the miles of the journey and apply it towards your status for this year." Doesn't that sound better?

Just a bunch of idiots - they do not care. United's new management does N-O-T care at all. They just don't get it. It starts from the top and it's trickling down all the way to the bottom.

I didn't get into the deal, but I think United should honour the tickets, their employees (and companions) fly for free in first back and forth while customers pay $10,000 for a 1st class ticket, and if it's their mistake, honour or offer compensation - which would make your customer happy.

The best way to hit them is to file a complaint with the DoT....
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:46 pm

A quick legal question: Can UA be interpreted as an agent by issuing an e-ticket which includes partner segment(s)?
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I need to start calling the offices of Larry H. Parker about this.....
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:47 pm

Pretty sure anyone who actually took a flight before they were cancelled had it honored.

Originally Posted by walkerci:18966515
Not the same.

If you went to Best Buy, bought that TV, took it home, and enjoyed it for 4 days and THEN they show up and tell you that it wasn't a promotion after all and try to take your TV... Well, in my state there is a little detail called castle law.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:48 pm

But then Bestbuy would not charge my credit card with taxes and would not keep me hanging for 5 days with no communication and then cancel my order and post the information on a website rather than contacting me.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
Realy? Your the official Delta spokesman? You have NO IDEA what Delta would or would not do. How typically FT to make a statement of OPINION as fact
Which part of his smiley are you struggling with? Check your Sarcasm Meter - might be time for some maintenance.
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:51 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
This is very bad business . In australia if there is a incorrect item scanned you get it for free. I thought the U.S had strict policies to protect the consumer.

Has there been a DOT response yet ?
Old Jul 19, 12, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG LTG, DL Plat
Just a heads up... if anyone has *other* reservations they want to change, tonight may be the time to call.

I had an award booked--not even through United; through Aeroplan on UA metal--and I called UA to switch days. I was expecting him to tell me to call AC, but he switched dates, said "ok is there anything else?" and then "thanks for calling United, bye bye!" Not only was he able to switch it but he either didn't or forgot to charge me a fee...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: