Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cdegt
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

Furthermore, I think UA have to prove this which everyone redeemed his/her tickets knew it was not true.
Did anybody see it?
UA said so, how? This is a typical false statement.
I agree!!!!!

I think everyone needs to emphasize that the 4-mile rate was quoted in the step where the UA's website asked one to review the itinerary and quoted other options for purchasing the ticket (e.g., paying 6,000 USD to save the meager 4 miles).
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
But if I go to xl my res it says I will be refunded 35.00 and 4 miles.....
They took out 60k.....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just talked to Esther after 36 minutes on hold who said that "I guess they were going to email you later tonight or tomorrow or something." There was some kind of note that says they automatically cancelled the reservation because of "insufficient mileage."

We will see how this plays out.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by spring101
I understand all of the people who bought these tickets constantly checking this thread and posting their opinions, but I dont get why someone who didnt get in on this "deal" spends so much time in this thread strictly for the purpose of flaming on the people who did. Seems pathetic to me. I mean, you want to state your opinion once then by all means, but constantly rehashing it and arguing with those that disagree when you dont have a dog in the fight is just pointless.

As far as the deal, whatever the outcome is there is no question that UA could have handled this way better. Could they have handled it worse? Sure, but since when is that an excuse?
Its just a sign of an airline that doesnt have good leadership.
Live with it There is always somebody
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:56 pm

It might be wise for individuals in this thread to wait to get an "official email" from united regarding you cancellation before you file your DOT complaint. You could claim that u only saw the 4 mile award, figured they were doing some special (this could especially apply if you do not have elite status and therefore did not know that specials like this do not regularly occur----frontier or spirit airlines have not uncommonly run a flash $1 fare sale not advertised....why couldn't that be true of united?) and that you never knew of the blogs....united would have a hard time proving you knew....right now, no one has officially been notified unless they happened to check their united website
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by aschuett
Just talked to Esther after 36 minutes on hold who said that "I guess they were going to email you later tonight or tomorrow or something." There was some kind of note that says they automatically cancelled the reservation because of "insufficient mileage."

We will see how this plays out.
An automatic cancellation base on a receipt of 4 miles required and deducted? What a UA system
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 pm

I have a ticket to HK/I've flown to HK for 4 miles

I want to create a new thread without the blabling and opinions, just plain and simple keeping it clean.

1. I flew to HK for 4 miles

2. I am scheduled to fly to HK for 4 miles

Lets start:

I am scheduled to fly to HK on Jan. 13 for and return Jan. 17 in UA BF for 4 miles. Itin. is ticketed.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cdegt
An automatic cancellation base on a receipt of 4 miles required and deducted? What a UA system
Its amazing how quickly and efficiently they can make tickets disappear, getting them to ticket when you actually pay for it.......forget it.......hah
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sal2009
It might be wise for individuals in this thread to wait to get an "official email" from united regarding you cancellation before you file your DOT complaint. You could claim that u only saw the 4 mile award, figured they were doing some special (this could especially apply if you do not have elite status and therefore did not know that specials like this do not regularly occur----frontier or spirit airlines have not uncommonly run a flash $1 fare sale not advertised....why couldn't that be true of united?) and that you never knew of the blogs....united would have a hard time proving you knew....right now, no one has officially been notified unless they happened to check their united website
What if I do read FT or blogs? Nothing here seems "official" to me including US Insider so-called "announcement". Does it even matter?

Question again, why wouldn't UA post its announcement on any media? Anyone have a link with any media, it's time to bring this latest "UA official" BS to them.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sal2009
United sucks....I'm going to American......where they answer my elite status line in less than 3 minutes.
+1. I don't even care if United honors the tickets or not. But not communicating with customers since Sunday and then cancelling the tickets without notification is just a terrible way to handle this whole thing. As if they needed any more bad press about not caring for their customers (however over-entitled we may be).

After I use my last UA voucher, I'm taking my business elsewhere, probably AA.

Now ... How do I go about changing my username on here??
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
jeebue

I can't believe how many people are upset that they were not allowed to loot free first class tickets from an uttended store.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sillypainter

I am scheduled to fly to HK on Jan. 13 for and return Jan. 17 in UA BF for 4 miles. Itin. is ticketed.
And will likely be cancelled, unless you intend to pay the normal amount of miles.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
  • For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

• For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

• For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UAbruin
Now ... How do I go about changing my username on here??
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18922650-post2.html

I am SO angry that I had to post. I joined this site years ago and read it often but never comment. I am 2mm and fly a LOT. I find this outrageous. On principle, if for no any reason, I am going to call American first thing tomorrow and see what they can do about matching my current status. You owe me United. And you ain't getting a penny from me until you make me whole.

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I can't believe how many people are upset that they were not allowed to loot free first class tickets from an uttended store.

I am not upset, I have my eTicket printed from last sunday. without a cancelation email of my flight, I am heading to the airport on the date of my flight. We'll see how UA and DOT will do then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.