Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by colpuck
On July 15th 2012 I purchased from United Airlines ticket numbers 016xxx and 016xxxx. These tickets were for myself and my girlfriend, MP, respectively. They were on United Airlines for travel from Phoenix Arizona to Hong Kong. Over four days after the tickets were issued United Airlines in violation of two DOT regulations unilaterally canceled those tickets. The cost of these tickets were 8 miles and $120.24 in “Taxes and Fees.”

First, United Airlines violated the DOT regulation that forbids airlines from canceling mistake fare tickets. United Airlines by canceling these tickets has forced me, if I so, chose to purchase these tickets at a higher price. DOT regulations forbid an airline from imposing post-ticketing fare increase. United Airlines by demanding that I pay more for these tickets is direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this practice.

Second, United Airlines is in violation of the DOT regulation that forbids an airline from displaying multiple prices for tickets and demanding the higher price. When I went to purchase these tickets two prices were displayed. I was charged in accordance with DOT regulations the lower price. Now, United Airlines over four days after the tickets were issued is demanding that I pay the higher price. This is in direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this action.

United Airlines has waived any defenses that would allow them to cancel these tickets. First, United Airlines has already affirmatively honored tickets issued at the fare as purchased. This was also done AFTER United Airlines knew about the mistake. This constitutes an affirmative act validating United Airline’s liability for these tickets that United Airlines is now illegally trying to disclaim. Also, this fare was validated not just by their automatic ticketing system “SHARES” but by telephone agents that were authorized to issue tickets on United Airlines behalf. It is well settled that businesses are liable for actions take on their behalf by authorized agents acting in the normal course of business. As such, United Airlines remains liable for these tickets as originally issued.

In conclusion, paper tickets belong to the passenger that purchased them. Because they are paper airlines cannot change them without physical possession of the tickets. Now with e-tickets they remain the property of the passenger but in the possession of the airline. This system allows the airline to abuse ticketing in order to shake down passengers for more money in name of a “mistake.” In the July issue of United Airlines’ in-flight magazine United Airlines’ CEO makes the case that airlines are “the most regulated deregulated industry.” The actions taken by United in this case show why that regulation is needed to prevent airlines from abusing the flying public.

As such, I request that the DOT open an enforcement action against United Airlines for the wrongful and illegal unilateral cancellation of the tickets above.

Thank you,
Well done, i must say.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Did you actually write that with a straight face?

Why not keep it shorter...

Dear DOT please let me keep my free tickets I scammed from united when I read about the last screen billing issue bug when a person didn't have enough miles to complete the transaction and number of miles they agreed to on all the previous screens.

Originally Posted by colpuck:18965891
On July 15th 2012 I purchased from United Airlines ticket numbers 016xxx and 016xxxx. These tickets were for myself and my girlfriend, MP, respectively. They were on United Airlines for travel from Phoenix Arizona to Hong Kong. Over four days after the tickets were issued United Airlines in violation of two DOT regulations unilaterally canceled those tickets. The cost of these tickets were 8 miles and $120.24 in “Taxes and Fees.”

First, United Airlines violated the DOT regulation that forbids airlines from canceling mistake fare tickets. United Airlines by canceling these tickets has forced me, if I so, chose to purchase these tickets at a higher price. DOT regulations forbid an airline from imposing post-ticketing fare increase. United Airlines by demanding that I pay more for these tickets is direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this practice.

Second, United Airlines is in violation of the DOT regulation that forbids an airline from displaying multiple prices for tickets and demanding the higher price. When I went to purchase these tickets two prices were displayed. I was charged in accordance with DOT regulations the lower price. Now, United Airlines over four days after the tickets were issued is demanding that I pay the higher price. This is in direct violation of the DOT regulation that forbids this action.

United Airlines has waived any defenses that would allow them to cancel these tickets. First, United Airlines has already affirmatively honored tickets issued at the fare as purchased. This was also done AFTER United Airlines knew about the mistake. This constitutes an affirmative act validating United Airline’s liability for these tickets that United Airlines is now illegally trying to disclaim. Also, this fare was validated not just by their automatic ticketing system “SHARES” but by telephone agents that were authorized to issue tickets on United Airlines behalf. It is well settled that businesses are liable for actions take on their behalf by authorized agents acting in the normal course of business. As such, United Airlines remains liable for these tickets as originally issued.

In conclusion, paper tickets belong to the passenger that purchased them. Because they are paper airlines cannot change them without physical possession of the tickets. Now with e-tickets they remain the property of the passenger but in the possession of the airline. This system allows the airline to abuse ticketing in order to shake down passengers for more money in name of a “mistake.” In the July issue of United Airlines’ in-flight magazine United Airlines’ CEO makes the case that airlines are “the most regulated deregulated industry.” The actions taken by United in this case show why that regulation is needed to prevent airlines from abusing the flying public.

As such, I request that the DOT open an enforcement action against United Airlines for the wrongful and illegal unilateral cancellation of the tickets above.

Thank you,
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jwchef1975
United does not really monitor their facebok page and most people will not give you much sympathy there.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
Good point. If I didn't know about FT, I'd be much more PO'd. Will be interesting to see when the official email or website post occurs. I do take it as a legitimate sign that UAInsider (or whoever oversees the user) is trying to best break the news here as soon as possible.
Of course, if you didn't know about FT, you'd still think your trip is on as planned, so you might not be upset yet!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would assume most us who jumped on this deal got the info directly or indirectly from FT. Posting it here would more or less send the message the same way the "4 miles" deal news was sent...

Good point. If I didn't know about FT, I'd be much more PO'd. Will be interesting to see when the official email or website post occurs. I do take it as a legitimate sign that UAInsider (or whoever oversees the user) is trying to best break the news here as soon as possible.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:27 pm

Ok, I'm mostly over it. Wonder if we'll get an actual phone call or just a letter in the mail with a picture of Smisek giving us the finger? I'd laugh and frame it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:29 pm

Welcome to the new UA!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by lightangel
Why would they care? We are over-entitled anyway.
Dare I say, after reading all of this thread, I somewhat agree with the over entitled statement. Do the airlines screw us over? Yes. Did I want to get a jab back at them? Admittedly yes. But were we entitled to these tickets.? Not convinced of that one yet. There does need to be some reason in these decisions. Just as I suggest that the airlines need to provide more leniency for us as well. I do hope this serves as a lesson to UA to shape up their attitudes towards customer service.

This is coming from a GS, who also receives a fare share of crap from UA and who already has one foot out the door and in AA's camp (which treats its campers much much more hospitably.)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:33 pm

Ok, I wrote one too:

I purchased tickets for a flight from Toronto to Hong Kong (via Chicago) for the passenger listed above ([my dad]) as well as for [my mom]. The itinerary was ticketed and confirmed on united.com on 15 July at 12.31 pm Central Time. My credit card was charged in the full amount of $217.20. The ticket is attached in Exhibit A.

Ticket numbers were issued for both passengers and received by email and are as follows:

For Mr. [Dad]: 016-------------
For Ms. [Mom]: 016-------------

At approximately 7 pm Central Time on 19 July, United unilaterally canceled this ticket without providing notification either to me or to the passengers.

It is my belief that United has therefore violated the DoT regulation which forbids airlines from raising fares after ticketing. By cancelling these tickets, United has forced me to repurchase the tickets at a higher price if the passengers still desire to travel.

I would kindly request that the DoT investigate this matter. Your assistance is very much appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Why not keep it shorter...

Dear DOT please let me keep my free tickets I scammed from united when I read about the last screen billing issue bug when a person didn't have enough miles to complete the transaction and number of miles they agreed to on all the previous screens.
Good re-write. ^

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
...they seem to be doing quite well to make sure those in the midst of traveling or travel plans through the 21st aren't disrupted.
Yup. Agreed.

Originally Posted by fragment54
Filing a complaint is better than not filing one. Takes like 5 minutes and it made me feel about 0.5% better (I can precisely quantify things like that)

If anybody else would like to see how easy the complaint form is to file, check out (for this or for any future interaction where an airline revokes a purchase):
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm
Will that include future purchases where the customer knew that he/she was doing something akin to fraud and taking advantage of an honest -- if regrettable and stupid -- mistake?

Originally Posted by wilp888
I think United should take a long serious look at what happened. Sure, there were some who wanted something for nothing but I suspect, from a lot of comments on this thread, that some people just wanted to get back at United because they were so angry with the company and wanted to get back at United in any way possible. The total and complete lack of sympathy and concern for the company from many of its long time customers is indicative of the poisoned relationship that exists. I hope United realise how unhealthy and dangerous this situation is.
I quite agree with all of that. UA has seriously messed several things up since 3/3; they have serious issues to work on. But for me to behave dishonorably in the face of that legitimate frustration and then to claim that it's somehow honorable and right and ethical is just pure rationalization at best.

As a favorite author says, holding on to a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die.

Originally Posted by jwchef1975
"loyal customers"
[sic]

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Seriously, enough of the venom and hate. United is better without such passengers. I'd rather not fly with such people.
True on all counts. But when I encounter those folks, I'll try to treat them in the way that I would wish to be treated.

[I also rather not UA have to raise my fare to make up for what is too good to be true.
Or take a hit to its bottom line which can only eventuate in further cuts in service or continued IT ineptitude.

Originally Posted by fragment54
...or you're like cblaisd and bitter that you didn't get one in time...
Ah, the time-honored inaccurate, inflammatory, ad hominem.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by alex_b
...it has to sit on some kind of standard database...
Yes. The website is just a sexy front end. In SQL (db lingo) it goes something like this:

SELECT user from sales_table where saleDate='2012-07-12' and depCity='LAX' and arrCity='HKG' and payType='award'

Originally Posted by flyer31
My flight for early Aug is showing as cancelled but my flight in march 2013 is still valid....
Patience, my friend. Patience. 'Things' come to those who wait.

The 'IT mistake' has been bandied about (in the 25 pages I've read). Anyone think this could be a 'parting gift' from a disgruntled last day at the office type? Another reason UA may be in lockdown. Trying to find said person and get a confession out of them. Could be checking logs to see who was logged in and what commands they were running.

Any of you waiting to fly this 8 miles/$40 want to see my pictures from my trips to HKG? Might be the best offer you get. But nice try.

Last edited by West Coast Ace; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm Reason: add pt.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by colpuck

Thank you,
Two paragraphs too long, presents opinion as fact, and includes grammatical, punctuation and typographical errors. You nailed it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
How about multi-passenger PNRs where miles were pulled for one (or more) but not all passengers?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don't think we were "entitled" to those tickets. Never really thought it would be honored anyway. I'm just disappointed with the way they handled this "crisis". Cancel before an email notice is kind of "revenue" before customer service IMO. I agree that we really hope UA learns a lesson from this, but I doubt they will...
We'll see

Dare I say, after reading all of this thread, I somewhat agree with the over entitled statement. Do the airlines screw us over? Yes. Did I want to get a jab back at them? Admittedly yes. But were we entitled to these tickets.? Not convinced of that one yet. There does need to be some reason in these decisions. Just as I suggest that the airlines need to provide more leniency for us as well. I do hope this serves as a lesson to UA to shape up their attitudes towards customer service.

This is coming from a GS, who also receives a fare share of crap from UA and who already has one foot out the door and in AA's camp (which treats its campers much much more hospitalably.)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
One final note before I leave this thread for good. Word of the Thread goes to "unilateral"! I have not seen that word used so much in my life. But maybe I'm not a lawyer like all of you...

Last edited by 1015-1k; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.