Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 19, 12, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by GMUJD06 View Post
I feel like we need to arrange an after party!
definitely! ....... chat about the adventures of this right?!
Old Jul 19, 12, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance.
Yes, I'm sure you hope so.

What if we don't agree ...
Old Jul 19, 12, 7:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
  • For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

• For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

• For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
While I appreciate your communication, as you know in most cases, the price (4 miles) was displayed on the final page and in receipts.

Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
  • For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

• For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

• For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.

We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
Very good of you (wish I was traveling tomorrow )
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[*]For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.[/LIST][/INDENT]
Wow, this weekend's travellers just won the lottery.

Was there anyone smart enough to "nest" tickets here? Like fly on Monday with a "return" at X-mas and then start their next trip this weekend from HKG?

[*]For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.[/LIST][/INDENT]
Can you not put them in the cargo class next to the animal/pet creates? Give them a bowl of water and kibble for the flight home hahahahahahahahaha
Old Jul 19, 12, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alex_b View Post
At some point when they repeatedly give out incorrect information it becomes the fault of the spokesperson for staying there and dishing out another line they should know will be untrue.
As they say: You're either part of the solution...... or you're part of the problem.
Old Jul 19, 12, 7:59 pm

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines

I do not agree...United airlines would not allow me the same courtesy if I made a mistake more than 24 hours out.

I encourage everyone to file a DOT complaint....get those complaint stats up.

Remember than in the past, airlines have tried this, cancelled and then been forced to honor the tickets.

I purchased a ticket for 4 miles and i have a receipt. You charged my credit card for the taxes. At the very least, I hope that others try and help by making United at least a little responsible for their bad behavior.

Just canceling tickets after four days with no personal message...unacceptable, a truly bad company
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
You're incorrect yet again. When you book multi-city awards, NO MILEAGE PRICE is shown under the selections until the very end when the 4 mile price was shown as the final price along with the taxes. Who's going to pay for my non-refundable hotel reservation I booked yesterday? United better be hiring lots of lawyers/representatives to handle all the DOT complaints/lawsuits. Small claims is very easy to file.
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf

"Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.” "
These were NOT PURCHASES.. they were REDEMPTIONS.
Hence DOT rules do not apply.. MP program rules supersede DOT rules..
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:03 pm

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time.
Given that it is 8 PM in Chicago / Houston, I expect this is another lie.
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by tuppy View Post
You are mixed up. Frugal Travel Guy is the senior who has to ride his rascal to the airport. The Points Guy has been straight up about this.
If I was TPG, I would not be amused at being confused with FTG...... that might be a DOT complaint in itself!
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by NAREN10216 View Post
MP Supersedes DOT Rules... hum, suuurreee!

"A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712."

AGAIN, this is a perfect test case, lot's of moving variables...
So let's start counting violations..

Originally Posted by NAREN10216 View Post
semantics....and besides the dot said so themselves that award ticket do fall under the law.

Also UNITED: You guys are a bunch of liars too.....remember that statement you bragged about in the wsj article a couple years ago....i think you said something along the lines of you would always honor any mistake, "no matter how large." LIARS....Again...bad company.

Programs: UA Gold; AA;AGR;HH Gold;Hyatt Plat;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Well we won the lottery: traveling to HKG this weekend. I'm disappointed that my trip to SIN in the spring was canceled though. However, unlike others, I'm not going to storm the castle.

Search this Thread