Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iahphx
This isn't a "mistake airfare" case. Those are far more important, and legitimate, because you often can't tell what a mistake fare is.
Concur. But, as you point out, this clearly wasn't one of them. And I notice that no one on the internets labeled this as anything other than an opportunity to get something for nothing. Nobody thought this was some sort of special sale. No, it was responded to as an opportunity to act in a way that no one would want people to act toward them.

but I obviously didn't "deserve" anything here.
Nope. And neither does UA deserve to lose millions of dollars over an honest but regrettable mistake, and neither does the DOT deserve to have its time and staff taken up with frivolous claims of "harm."
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 pm

Any word yet from folks who already finished their trips or are in the middle of one?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milski
Anyone want to bet that there will be incorrectly cancelled tickets too? As in, properly paid with miles/cash but still cancelled in this ordeal?
That's a sucker bet.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:40 pm

Just got off the phone - seems that we'll get an email from Corporate ...

Lady told me that since I didn't have the required published miles in my account, my ticket was cancelled. She was waffling when I said that I did have the miles shown on the receipt, so sounded like she knew she was walking a tightrope ...

Anyway, didn't want to give her a hard time, so I said okay we'll see the email.

Cheers,

I think this is just their way of gaining the upper hand when they finally do contact customers.

Programs: MP 1K/Onepass Plat 1MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Cancelled.

Next time we have to get paper tickets issued.

Now I have to move my business to a competitor.

United - you lose.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wyogold
...Anyway, didn't want to give her a hard time...
Would that your attitude would be contagious. ^
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: A few
What UA did in response has been less than perfect, but it is almost certainly enough. Again, sorry, but the technicalities are VERY unlikely to carry the day here.
Well if I am ever in a bind I will know one place not to call for a defense lawyer

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Really? What precedent is set here? That an airline which charges 4 miles instead of 150,000 for an award ticket is allowed to promptly cancel that ticket. I think I can live with that precedent.

This isn't a "mistake airfare" case. Those are far more important, and legitimate, because you often can't tell what a mistake fare is. And, as we've seen, some airlines have felt free to cancel these weeks later. That was pretty darn unfair.

But this? C'mon. It would have been a crazy windfall. I would have been thrilled to take it, but I obviously didn't "deserve" anything here.
You didn't see the +1 to the previous quote I was referring to but target only me!
How do you draw the scale where its a mistake or not is up for debate.
4 miles instead of 150000?
15000 miles instead of 50000?
100000 miles instead 120000?
i'm sure you've seen US airways where their agent continuous get the wrong zone charged for award tickets.
Where is the scale where tickets will be protected!

As this is the 1st case on prohibiting post-purchase price increase acquired via mileage award ticket.
It will be incredibly bad not to know where that line is to be drawn.
As of currently, there is no line, airline can said mistake and oops there goes your reward seat you try to get 330 days out.

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
I think I wrote a few days ago, that United might do something like this... Cancel... 90% of people "move on", 10% say they will complain, maybe 5% actually do that... That brings it down to how far are you willing to take it, most will move on, but even those who move on... don't settle for nothing, fight! fight! fight!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold
Anyway, didn't want to give her a hard time, so I said okay we'll see the email.

Cheers,
^ Thanks for not giving the agent a hard time about it. It's a good reminder for everyone to not take your feelings out on the front-line staff who had no say in the issue.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bitachu
i wonder how many flights were booked...and what the total cost is?
Very good question, which we will probably never know.

I can tell you one thing though... as a programmer, Unit Tests to make sure your code works properly are INSANELY important in the line of an automatic booking/sales system where no eyes are looking over every transaction.

Many programmers leave unit tests out because it does take longer to write software, however I have a feeling that United's programming department will have free reign to take their time writing MANY unit tests for all of their code now .
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
4 miles instead of 150000?
15000 miles instead of 50000?
100000 miles instead 120000?
i'm sure you've seen US airways where their agent continuous get the wrong zone charged for award tickets.
Where is the scale where tickets will be protected!
Probably the correct amount
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:47 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Jesperss
I'm surprised no one has asked where they can file a complaint about the DOT itself.
The main post of the thread! ^
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
mine was cancelled wow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.