Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Old Jul 19, 12, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. Hobo's Theorem notwithstanding, I am not reading that much into this delay, strange as it may seem to us. UA can come back at any time to dash our dreams if they feel the cost savings of doing so outweighs the negative press. In any event, UA has a lot of fish to fry at the moment, so it's not inconceivable the HKG debacle is being put on the back burner.
And though the negative PR would be over the top, UA would be within their rights to simply close the MP accounts of anyone who refused to either pay up or cancel. (I truly think that sort of decision would get some execs the boot--can you imagine the press fiasco which would ensue?)
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Your case proves that the Dan's Deals cancellation rumor was false.
Glad it worked out for you.
How does that prove that?
DDF poster "nd" forgot to book a 4 mile ticket for his infant and then when he called in to find out about adding an infant (for 10% off full fare=$1,500) likely had his ticket flagged and was cancelled by someone in the call center due to the memo they have that they will not be honoring tickets.

And anyway DDF user "E" has already flown to HKG and back in LH F and posted a TR
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:48 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
DDF poster "nd" forgot to book a 4 mile ticket for his infant and then when he called in to find out about adding an infant (for 10% off full fare=$1,500) likely had his ticket flagged and was cancelled by someone in the call center due to the memo they have that they will not be honoring tickets.

And anyway DDF user "E" has already flown to HKG and back in LH F and posted a TR
1 cancelation for any reason does not mean anything. UA cancels tickets by mistake every day esp. after the merger.
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post

... infant .... own seat .... Global First Class ... 15 hour flight ..

**shudders**

Glad it was canceled and not on my HK flight!
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
The attitude, that since UA has screwed you means that it is OK for you to screw them, is merely an expedient way to excuse oneself for less than honorable behavior.
Well-said.
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jmk2135 View Post
I have to assume that if UA does decide to honor these things, they will (a) announce it for PR purposes and (b) offer an alternative (e.g., 20k miles) to anybody who wants to cancel. Thoughts?
I would consider cancelling for LIFETIME 1K status.....wouldn't cost them much if anything and would then get me likely upgrades most of the time....and it would then get me to pretty much always fly united.....seems win-win to me....

But 20,000 miles, that's all? I'd say...sorry i'm going to hong kong.
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by uva185 View Post
What if you had a customer that bought a pack of gum for $1 every day and one day you accidentally charged him $1 for a $20 steak. Would you make him bring back the $20 steak and risk losing his $365 / year revenue due to your own mistake?
That's not at all what is happening here.

The customer saw the steak was a buck, called all his friends, and kept sending them to the store.

If you think that's the same thing as being accidently charged less, so be it, I most certainly don't.

Then again, I would not pay a buck for a steak I knew was supposed to be $20 if I considered myself a loyal customer, I would mention to them and pay the fair price.

Besides no store I know of would ask any customer to return a piece of steak once the customer touched it.
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sal2009 View Post
I would consider cancelling for LIFETIME 1K status.....wouldn't cost them much if anything and would then get me likely upgrades most of the time....and it would then get me to pretty much always fly united.....seems win-win to me....

But 20,000 miles, that's all? I'd say...sorry i'm going to hong kong.
I'd have to agree (although not necessarily lifetime status) ... Considering they give 50k just for signing up for a credit card - it would have to be a substantial amount of miles - perhaps a percentage of the actual mileage cost of the ticket(s).. I'd go as far as to say I'd take 50%.

Someone needs to create another thread - "What would YOU take to cancel your HK ticket?" Would probably be very beneficial for United as well.
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
... I would not pay a buck for a steak I knew was supposed to be $20 if I considered myself a loyal customer, I would mention to them and pay the fair price.
Indeed. That ol' treat folks like you'd like to be treated thing. ^
Old Jul 19, 12, 2:58 pm

What if I get a steak mispriced at my grocery store for 4 cents the day before my flight, and I bring the steak on the flight? Does this guarantee that lightning takes down the plane?
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eryeal View Post
What if I get a steak mispriced at my grocery store for 4 cents the day before my flight, and I bring the steak on the flight? Does this guarantee that lightning takes down the plane?
No outside food or drink in the RCC.....
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Have fun with the $27,500 per ticket fines.
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:03 pm

Is the "correct" number of miles redemption option at least being offered at low mileage redemption rate?
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MileHighGuy View Post
Have fun with the $27,500 per ticket fines.
(MileHighGuy just returned from vacation without internet access)
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:09 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
That's not at all what is happening here.

The customer saw the steak was a buck, called all his friends, and kept sending them to the store.

If you think that's the same thing as being accidently charged less, so be it, I most certainly don't.

Then again, I would not pay a buck for a steak I knew was supposed to be $20 if I considered myself a loyal customer, I would mention to them and pay the fair price.

Besides no store I know of would ask any customer to return a piece of steak once the customer touched it.
Don't you think UNITED should have a system in place where an anomalous spike in booking gets red-flagged!? Again, the seller declined to have the proper controls in place. Over, what, a few lines of code? A few million bucks for an IT system that functions reliably?

In sales it is called a home-run deal, where the buyer clearly has not done their due diligence, they do not have the proper backup or intel and they pay whatever price you ask. If you get a whole family of home run buyers, well God bless ya! Caveat emptor.

Well, caveat venditor, too. The seller needs to take responsibility its negligence, whether it does it once or a million times.

Stupid and/or cheap are not an excuse.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: