Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancellation policy for 1K booking on partner Airlines using miles

Old Jul 16, 12, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum

I have tried to do a search but could not get an answer so please excuse me for asking. I am booking a trip using miles on United.com but the airline is with Air Canada. Can I still cancel the trip without additional fees and get miles fully returned to my 1K account as it usually happens when I book on UA metal?
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Yes it is free
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Same as for UA bookings, no charge for changes or outright cancellation and redeposit though there may be additional fees, or fewer, depending upon the old and new destinations. I've changed booking many times, including today when some LH F/O space opened up.
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Same as for UA bookings, no charge for changes or outright cancellation and redeposit though there may be additional fees, or fewer, depending upon the old and new destinations. I've changed booking many times, including today when some LH F/O space opened up.
There may be different taxes if the OP change the destination or connecting/stop over points. However, there should be no charge or fee whatsoever for 1K member. That may be one of the few 1K benefits that are still good to be 1K or GS.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lax2010 View Post
There may be different taxes if the OP change the destination or connecting/stop over points. However, there should be no charge or fee whatsoever for 1K member. That may be one of the few 1K benefits that are still good to be 1K or GS.
This benefit is also available to platinum elites. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:36 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
During booking it says that cancellation are free for GS, no mention of 1K. This is a bit confusing.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum
Thanks! Good to know. One more kind of related question: when booking with partner airlines such as Air Canada or US Airway as revenue tickets, can I still use the CR1s for upgrade? The destination is Nassau, Bahamas.
Old Jul 16, 12, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
Thanks! Good to know. One more kind of related question: when booking with partner airlines such as Air Canada or US Airway as revenue tickets, can I still use the CR1s for upgrade? The destination is Nassau, Bahamas.
No. CR1 or RPU is for UA metal only.
Old Jul 16, 12, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nick5000 View Post
During booking it says that cancellation are free for GS, no mention of 1K. This is a bit confusing.
Read the link I posted just above your comment here. It is quite clear which groups have the fees for changes and refunds on awards waived or discounted.
Old Jul 16, 12, 10:33 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Read the link I posted just above your comment here. It is quite clear which groups have the fees for changes and refunds on awards waived or discounted.
Yes I'm aware of the rules, but I think it is confusing that it says that cancellations are free for GS, no mention of 1K.
It made me wanting to check the rules when I did a booking last time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: