Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do my miles expire?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

When do my miles expire?

I know united has a rule of 18 months of no activity your miles will expire, but I am trying to figure this out. Is it 18 months since the merger in march or 18 months since my last paid flight? I was a CO onepass member and never had to worry, so instead of losing them i'd like to use them but need to know when they expire. My last paid flight would have been September of 2011.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by giacona
I know united has a rule of 18 months of no activity your miles will expire, but I am trying to figure this out. Is it 18 months since the merger in march or 18 months since my last paid flight? I was a CO onepass member and never had to worry, so instead of losing them i'd like to use them but need to know when they expire. My last paid flight would have been September of 2011.
18 months from your last activity, be it a flight or credit card. There are many ways to get it extended.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This now shows in my yellow My MileagePlus Summary box once signed in, wasn't there a few days ago. Has a mouseover that mentions they won't expire as long as I have a card.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
18 months from your last activity, be it a flight or credit card. There are many ways to get it extended.
Additionally all CO OnePass accounts were set no sooner than 18 months from the integration day -- so at a min they started with Sept 2013.
As UA-NYC mentions, it is clearly posted when reviewing your account detials.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
... Has a mouseover that mentions they won't expire as long as I have a card.
I think this is based on the assumption of having and using the card, which means miles are posting based on usage.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Actually I just signed into my account and it shows experation date of 9/30/13. I am assuming this is for all my miles and some won't expire before the rest.

if i don't fly before September of 2013 is there anyway to get them extended since I don't have the credit card? or is airline or credit card activity the only way?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think this is based on the assumption of having and using the card, which means miles are posting based on usage.
Agreed - the "new news" for me was seeing that expiration date on the home page.

But technically, as long as you are in good standing with the card, you don't actually have to use it.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Actually I just signed into my account and it shows experation date of 9/30/13. I am assuming this is for all my miles and some won't expire before the rest.

if i don't fly before September of 2013 is there anyway to get them extended since I don't have the credit card? or is airline or credit card activity the only way?
A ton of ways. Search recent threads here where someone already asked that question.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I don't know how much things have changed with the merger, but PMCO had an 18 month rule on the books and as far as those that follow such things on FT knew, there were no reports of them terminating the miles even with zero activity of any kind.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:32 pm
RNE

But technically, as long as you are in good standing with the card, you don't actually have to use it.
Quite correct.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Correct.

Any activity, earning or redemption, keeps them alive.

Anything.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Random thought

Do the miles of MMers ever expire? As long as you have status, your miles stay active, right? Or is that trumped by the 18 month expiry...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do the miles of MMers ever expire? As long as you have status, your miles stay active, right? Or is that trumped by the 18 month expiry...
my account shows an expiration date. Have never heard status means miles don't expire.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
my account shows an expiration date. Have never heard status means miles don't expire.
This is another change we're going to like... I now have 300K miles to use up since I'm moving all my business to AA lately (where I've gotten upgraded 100% of the time since the match!)

Thank you Mr. $mi$ek for pushing me out as a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.