Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
?
Got the ticket number. Waiting to see if it will be honored .
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
LAX-HGK-BKK-LAX for a family of 4...will make a nice Christmas vacation. And quite cheap with my 300K Club Carlson points from the summer promo. But I'll hold off on making any promises to my family for now.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:28 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
anyone else going to HKG for new years?

*fingers crossed*
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Please throw out the whole "a purchase is a contract" argument - it simply doesn't work, and has been used since the beginning of time for deals as a reason a price mistake will be honored. A purchase is not a legally binding contract, regardless of what a search engine tells you. If that were the case, retailers could never legally cancel a purchase that was billed for any reason, and it happens all the time and is perfectly legal.

Here's where the law comes in regarding "purchases" and "contracts" - a retailer would be required to REFUND you if the product/service cannot be provided. So the only thing United would ever be liable for is failing to refund you for the cost of the ticket. That's it. Nothing legally binding, from a contract perspective only.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Feeling a bit over-entitled today :-P
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
That's pre-booking (they can at anytime say CLE-ORD requires 100,000 miles from now on); what you can't do is issue a ticket and say, by the way, now it'll be $100 more (or 250k miles more) if you want to fly.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Eryeal
Please throw out the whole "a purchase is a contract" argument - it simply doesn't work, and has been used since the beginning of time for deals as a reason a price mistake will be honored. A purchase is not a legally binding contract, regardless of what a search engine tells you. If that were the case, retailers could never legally cancel a purchase that was billed for any reason, and it happens all the time and is perfectly legal.

Here's where the law comes in regarding "purchases" and "contracts" - a retailer would be required to REFUND you if the product/service cannot be provided. So the only thing United would ever be liable for is failing to refund you for the cost of the ticket. That's it. Nothing legally binding, from a contract perspective only.
Have you read the DOT regulations that went in to effect earlier this year? It completely changes the conversation regarding mistake fares. For itineraries that touch the United States, airlines are now required to honor mistake fares once the purchase is complete, full stop ... as Korean Airlines and several others found out with the RGN mistake fares where they were forced to reinstate cancelled tickets. The open question is how this applies to award tickets.

Relevant excerpt of DOT guidance regarding enforcement of this issue here:
Does the prohibition on post-purchase price increases in section 399.88(a) apply in the situation where a carrier mistakenly offers an airfare due to a computer problem or human error and a consumer purchases the ticket at that fare before the carrier is able to fix the mistake?

Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”

A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712.
(from http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Why do the best mistake fares come when I am not checking FT!

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
so can't find any days now...weird

Anyone book a ticket for tomorrow?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Anyone book a ticket for tomorrow?
A poster on Lucky's blog stated that the booked for this afternoon. She said that she would report back success in checking in, boarding, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:44 pm

I see a great business/customer realtionship as a collaborative partnership. Thats the main reason I am so POed at COdbaUA, they have destroyed that relationship. That fact does not keep me from hoping that symbiotic relationship will return some day. Gloating over and taking advantage of obvious mistakes totally ensures that COdbaUA will remain in an adversarial relationship with its customers. You can't have it both ways. What's your choice? Mistake fares or Smisek/board coming to their senses?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sykes
Have you read the DOT regulations that went in to effect earlier this year? It completely changes the conversation regarding mistake fares. For itineraries that touch the United States, airlines are now required to honor mistake fares once the purchase is complete, full stop ... as Korean Airlines and several others found out with the RGN mistake fares where they were forced to reinstate cancelled tickets. The open question is how this applies to award tickets.

Relevant excerpt of DOT guidance regarding enforcement of this issue here:

(from http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf)
The issue here is that these are not exactly revenue tickets... these are award tickets subject to whatever United rules they choose to impose. Seems to me like they can probably cancel all these tickets if they want. I guess time will tell!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
everyone should PDF your "view reservations" the one with the total price...on the UA site...just to be safe..i'm assuming that will "change" soon
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's a bit ironic to me that COdbaUA spent considerable IT/PR resources to claw back 5K-25K bonus miles from their stupid promo -- miles which, for the most part, they are destined to reinstate.

Then today, in the matter of a few hours, they let several MILLION miles out the door. (And I might be off by an order of magnitude or two!)

Last edited by hobo13; Jul 15, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.